What I Learned From My Best Friend

Lunch! I wanted eggs and a salad for lunch so I decided to make an egg salad, just not the “usual” kind. I made an egg patty and put it on top of a big ol’ bed of lettuce, onions and tomatoes. Lot’s of hummus, hot sauce and almonds rounded out the meal.IMG 4591 800x600 thumb What I Learned From My Best Friend

Now I’m munching on open faced PB&J. Yes, both sides are open. I don’t do singles.IMG 4593 800x600 thumb What I Learned From My Best Friend

It’s my best friend, Cindy’s birthday today! She and I have known each other since 1st grade. The day she met me she went home and told her mom, “There is a girl in my class with orange hair. And orange these and these” (pointing to her eyebrows and eyelashes).cindy and monica thumb What I Learned From My Best Friend

Luckily, my alibino-like appearance didn’t deter her from being my friend. me and cindy thumb What I Learned From My Best Friend

We really have nothing in common, but we’re soul mates at the same time.

Here are a few things my best friend taught me…

1. How to pluck chola eyebrows…MONIC 2 008 thumb What I Learned From My Best Friend

Hey, this was important stuff at the time!MONIC 2 007 thumb What I Learned From My Best Friend

2. If some stranger gives you a really random nickname, just smile and take a picture with him. (You don’t want to know why I still call her Kibbles.)MONIC 2 011 thumb What I Learned From My Best Friend

3. Where babies come from. (She was 16 and pregnant before it was cool a show.)

I’m holding her baby Jay here as we get her ready for prom.MONIC 2 002 thumb What I Learned From My Best Friend

4. You should take an entourage to prom. (She ended up at a different high school than me and snuck into my prom. Then, we after-partied.)MONIC 003 thumb What I Learned From My Best Friend

5. Despite everything, sometimes you just gotta smile. (Even when you didn’t realize someone wrote “boob-less crew” on your sandcastle.)MONIC 002 thumb What I Learned From My Best Friend

5. We may go separate paths, but we’ll always be there for each other wlEmoticon smile13 What I Learned From My Best Friend

MONIC 008 thumb What I Learned From My Best Friend

6. God has a plan for us, even though we may not see it at the time.MONIC 009 thumb What I Learned From My Best Friend

7.  Cry over big things, not boy things. MONIC 001 thumb What I Learned From My Best Friend

8. You can be small, but have a really really big heart. MONIC 2 010 thumb What I Learned From My Best Friend

9. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.cindy and monica in vegas thumb What I Learned From My Best Friendits vegas thumb What I Learned From My Best Friend

10. And we still have a long way to go…

Happy Birthday Cindy! I love you.

Question: What has your best friend taught you?

Comments

Love this. I have a good girlfriend from kindergarden and we still keep in touch. We met at the water fountain during snack time :) She has super curly hair, and I remember introducing her as my clown haired friend. So flattering.

what a great tribute to your best friend! i loved seeing the photos of you two together. and i am so glad that she pointed to her eyebrows and eyelashes and not her you-know-what.. that would be awkward…

OMG! I love this post. You had my laughing out loud at he boobless crew pic. So funny! You guys are lucky to have each other and it is so neat your friendship and stood the test of time! That’s wonderful!

OMG! I laughed out loud again! you seriously have funnest posts around. The boobless picture just kills me. I think it is awesome your friendship has stood the test of time and that just shows how special it really is. Thanks for sharing!

This was so so sweet. My best friend Caity is coming to visit me this weekend! This might sound corny, but my best friend has taught me how to make decisions on my own. When coming to her for advice, she would always ask.. “Well, what do you think?” Making me think about the answer myself to the question I just posed to her. Now I find myself doing that to other people too!

6. jenny says

I love this Olivas. We were not the normal teens. Who throws baby showers for their friends at 16, oh we do. Those memories will be with me forever. I love that march 4 hunger picture. Can u say vasoline? Love you guys

I’ve known my best friend since Kindergarten – 29 years now. And she taught me about the birds and the bees. Her mom told her how babies were made, and then she RAN to tell me right away. I was mortified.

My best friend and I have had very different paths too. She’s taught me that female friendships are so important and there are people out there that will love you no matter what and just be uplifting and encouraging because they love you for you. She’s the best!

ahhhh…love the best friend post. i’ve known mine since i was 4 years old in kindergarten…and she’s taught me the meaning of love. sounds silly but she has, and not just towards boys. towards everyone and everything.

10. Cindy says

We did have great times together. Many more to come! Thank you for making me feel extra special today. You made me laugh =) and cry ;) I was just telling Evelyn the other day about how I peed my pants on your bedroom floor. LOL! Long story I’ll tell you later. I love you lady.

11. Erica says

My friend Ashley and I sound very similar to you and your friend.

We grew up together and don’t hang out as much as we used to and have very little in common, but we’re always there for each other when it matters. She also got pregnant at 16 before it was a show. Because of this taught me that it’s not what life hands you that defines who you are, it’s how you handle what life hands you. She married the jerk that fathered her child and dealt with the emotional abuse while working full time, raising their child, finishing high school, getting her bachelor’s and master’s degrees, and getting an awesome full time job. She divorced the jerk and is dating someone who treats her and her now 9-year-old son the way they deserve to be treated. She wasn’t the only girl in high school to get pregnant, but rather than let that define her, she defined herself. She’s awesome.

Happy birthday to your BFF :)

Scuh a sweet post! Happy birthday to her :) My best friend and I met when we were 14 and she has taught me so much about being a great friend and how to be a wonderful mother. Her four children are like my own and I hope one day I can have my own so she can teach them things too!

13. Christin says

awwww! Seriously the sweetest post ever! Thank you so much for the sudden burst of tears and laughter as I thought about my best friend and I growing up!! Cracked me up about the chola brows…I went through that faze with a really good friend of mine in Jr High…we had the moussed up hair and dark lipstick too…oh yeah and dickies overalls with cropped tops (so many memories!!).
    My best friend and I knew each other from Kindergarten as well…and we didn’t always go to the same school either…we are still great friends to this day, and I am so glad I have her! She taught me that it’s okay to be weird and silly and still be smart…for instance: we decided to eat every vitamin in her mom’s cabinet one day…oops…but we somehow didn’t kill too many brain cells from that and were both great students…lol!