Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

How’s your Sunday? I stopped in to work to check my schedule for tomorrow and ended up doing a quick triceps workout because that flab is relentless.

IMG 9717 600x800 thumb Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

I headed to Trader Joes from there, but stopped in at Marshall’s “just because”. I almost screamed when I spotted my old go-to long run running shoes!!! I used to swear by my Asics 2150 until I came upon free shoes a few months back. Free > Favorite. Times are tough.

IMG 9721 600x800 thumb Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

Anyways, I scored these for 50 bucks! You cannot beat that for running shoes! But, I still kinda need shorter run shoes, so I need to come upon another deal FAST. I want a new pair for the mary. We’ll see.

IMG 9814 800x533 thumb Pumpkin Apple Crisp RecipeIMG 9818 800x533 thumb Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

I also stopped in RoadRunner Sports for some gels. I saw this seasonal Clif Bar – Cranberry Orange Nut Bread. Except, it was from last season because it said, “Best By July 2011”.

IMG 9722 600x800 thumb Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

It was still good, but I’m not a big cranberry/orange fan. Ben loved it.

IMG 9725 600x800 thumb Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

After going over the river and through the woods I finally made it to TJ’s. By that time I was HUNGRY and rushed home for lunch.

IMG 9758 800x533 thumb Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

Ben made a PB&J yesterday that we never ended up eating. I threw it in the toaster oven to go with his lunch. Um, I totally stole half of it! Toasting the PB&J after it’s made is genius! It made the insides all gooey, but the outside was perfectly crispy. Do it. Do it.

IMG 9761 800x533 thumb Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

While I was out Ben chopped up a bunch of apples. I bought a big pack this week and they were ashy wlEmoticon sadsmile1 Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

We were pissed about the rotten apples for a second, until we decided to make the best of it. So, we decided to cook with them.

IMG 9770 533x800 thumb Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

apple drunk Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

(nataliedee.com)

I made up a apple crisp recipe using pumpkin. It’s not life changing, but it’s good (if you serve it on top of ice cream).

IMG 9808 800x533 thumb Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

IMG 9775 800x533 thumb Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

Pumpkin Apple Crisp

• 1/4c butter, melted
  • 1/4c apple sauce
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4c pumpkin
  • 3/4c brown sugar (My apples were not very sweet, so it needed this much. You might be able to get away with less.)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1tsp pumpkin pie spice, plus extra to sprinkle on apples
  • 1c flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
  • 1/2c oats
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • dash salt
  • 3 cups chopped applesIMG 9774 800x533 thumb Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

1. Place apples in a greased pie plate. Optional, sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice.Set aside.IMG 9776 800x533 thumb Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

2. Combine first 5 ingredients.

3. Add in the rest of the ingredients, mix.

4. Pour batter over apples, spread evenly. Optional, sprinkle with additional oats. I love the rustic look of it!IMG 9782 800x533 thumb Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

5. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, or until set.IMG 9791 800x533 thumb Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

6. Serve with ice cream wlEmoticon smile18 Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe IMG 9806 800x533 thumb Pumpkin Apple Crisp Recipe

See ya later!

Comments

Gurrrrrrrrrl, toasted pb&j is the bomb, and usually the only way I can eat it. I discovered it almost 2 years ago when I was preggers with my daughter. It also tastes really good with banana. I make mine just like I make grilled cheese, in a skillet on top of the stove.

2. Erin B. says

I love the 2150s! Totally just shelled out $100 for the 2160s today. May have to swing by my local Marshall’s. Thanks for the (unintentional) tip!

What a great spin on an apple crisp! And I too found the amazingness of warmed PB & J when I once grilled one for my hubby. (Kind of like a grilled cheese) I ended up eating it before he could event see the thing though. :) Amazing!

I’ve been a loyal Asics runner for, gosh, 11 years now? Wow, I just realized that. But my 2150s are GOLD. Seriously, they are the best shoes ever, and don’t you KNOW I’ll be into Marshall’s next week to try and snag a pair before my (half) mary. Thanks for the insider info! :)

5. Theresa says

This is going to be a super random comment that has nothing to do with this post. I’ve been following your blog for a few months now, and I love it! I got the champions shaping knee pants (not sure if that’s the correct name) after you reviewed them, and I’ve worn them for the past 3 days straight! Also, I finally went to Yogurtland after hearing so much about it from RER – loooved it! don’t know why I put it off for so long! the flavors are WAY better than the place i was normally going to, plus it was 10c/ounce cheaper! cha ching! :) I’m trying to get into running, so if you could write about how you started, or point me towards posts where you write about that, that’d be awesome! …Anyways keep doing what you do!

6. Catherine says

I laughed out loud at your cartoon about being f’ed up on rotten apples – hilarious. I needed a laugh – thanks!

7. Ida says

I hope a Marshall’s near me has that same shoe deal- I am a 2100 loyalist.
    Toasting the PB&J after it’s made is a great idea!

8. Tina says

I had apples that weren’t that groovy and made apple cinnamon grilled cheese! Cut the apple into thin slices sprinkle them with cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice. Put the sandwich together – I used cheddar cheese. On the skillet put a little butter to brown the bread and watch your cheese melt! If I had a press – this would be an awesome pannini. :)

My husband referred to my arms as “Bingo Arms.” You know, when the old lady wins at bingo and she waves her arms and the tricep region flops everywhere? He’s lucky he didn’t get punched. But now he pokes my arms and comments on my beefy triceps. Only 2 weeks have gone by… I think he’s trying to get out of the dog house…

10. Lexi says

I wish I could eat leftovers like you. Seriously, I feel that they always go to waste in my house. Is that on purpose or just cause you don’t mind?

I LOVE leftovers!!! You already know it’s food you like and you don’t have to cook it again! Plus, I think so many foods actually taste better the second time around because they’ve been marinating in their sauce.

11. Crystal L. says

I have never eaten a PB&J without the bread being toasted. It is the only way my mom prepared these for us. The bread went in the toaster, popped out, and we spread the PB and her homemade jelly.

The first time I saw someone eating a PB&J sandwich with “soft” bread (untoasted), I know I said outloud, “ugh!” lol