Pile On The Miles 2011

It’s almost time for the annual Pile on the Miles Challenge!!!running turkey thumb Pile On The Miles 2011(image source)

This challenge started in 2009 courtesy of bloggers Bobbi (In Her Shoes) and Caitlin (Healthy Tipping Point). This year I’ll be organizing it, but you can also contact Bobbi with questions since she’s down to pitch in wlEmoticon smile19 Pile On The Miles 2011

Last year over 200 people participated and I’d love for even more of you to participate this year! It is open to everyone – you do not need to blog or run to join.

The Goal of the “Pile on the Miles” Challenge is to encourage us to pile on miles instead of pounds in November. We’ll do this by having everyone keep track of the number of miles they walk OR run each week. If you do at least 5 miles each week you’ll be entered in a drawing every Friday of the challenge. I will announce the winners every Friday by 3pm PST.

Prizes include:

Nov. 4th – A week’s worth of Stoneyfield yogurt (3 winners) vanilla oikos thumb Pile On The Miles 2011

Nov. 11th – $10.00 Subway Gift Card (3 winners)subway sandwich thumb Pile On The Miles 2011

Nov. 18th – Peas and Thank You Recipe bookpeas and thank you thumb Pile On The Miles 2011

Nov. 25th – Fila Toning OutfitFila Toning outfit thumb Pile On The Miles 2011

(There may be more prizes added as I’m still speaking with sponsors!)

To Enter: Send me an email with your first and last name AND email address to runeatrepeat @ gmail dot com. I will add you to the spreadsheet and you will be in charge of updating it each week with your mileage.

Official Rules:
1. Contest runs from November 1st to November 24th (Thanksgiving). You keep track of how many miles you run or walk.

2. Update the spreadsheet with your mileage by Friday 8am PST each of the following days: Nov. 4th, Nov. 11th, Nov. 18th and Nov. 25th. Be honest, karma’s a B.

3. To qualify for the weekly prize you must walk or run 5 miles for that week. If you do not do 5 miles a certain week you can try again the following week, you are not disqualified.

4. This is open to everyone – readers, bloggers, dogs, aliens. It doesn’t matter where you live, but the prizes are set so if you don’t have a Subway where you live you might want to donate it to another participant.

5. The miles are based on walking, running or wheel-chairing only.

**There is NO Grand Prize Winner for the most miles this year. I don’t want this to be about a competition with each other. Set your own mileage goal for the challenge, but you don’t have to worry about what others are doing. Do YOUR OWN BEST.monica running thumb Pile On The Miles 2011

Email me if you want to participate (name and email) to runeatrepeat at gmail. I will add you to the list and give you access to the spreadsheet by Nov. 1st. Please email me by October 30th. **Make sure it is “runeatrepeat” because someone else has been getting some of the emails!

Let me know if you have any questions! Are you in??

pin it button Pile On The Miles 2011

Comments

1. Maren says

awww this sounds like such a fun time! Wish I could join:( I finally sucked it up and went to the doctor. I was 100% sure I had a stress fracture..and I was right. I’m in a boot for the next 4-6 weeks. LAME! I’m just glad that I’m finally fixing it. I haven’t really ran since my last half mary in MAY!

Sounds like fun! I’ll be away half of November too so might skip out (Plus I don’t know if you could ship yoghurt to Australia with our strict shipping laws… and the subway card wouldn’t work here ;))
    Happy to follow on with the challenge though and see how everyone goes.

So. ex.cit.ed. What a good idea. Is there a bonus prize if we run on Thanksgiving day? There must be some sponsor somewhere who wants to jump on that.

4. Aleks says

i love the idea! i want to join but will let you know to take me off the draws since i’m on the other side of the pond. also, i’m scheduled to spend 20 days in november on business in zurich, so a lot of the running might happen on a dreadmill in the hotel gym – hope that counts!

5. Melissa says

Hi there.

I keep getting your emails for this pile on the miles challenge!
    My email is much too close to yours, apparently. I’m letting folks know as they come in but figured I’d let you know so maybe you could draw attention to it.

Just wanted to give your fans a heads up. Make sure they are emailing you and not me. Hah. In my email, eat comes first, then run. LOL.

6. beth says

Speaking of piling on the miles, I’ve run many a races and the half is my favorite and I have one this sunday. However, I have not rained for it at.all. I Haven’t even run over 6 miles in 5 months. I have this crazy idea to do the race anyhow because I know I can, even if more slowly then my usual ~1:42, but I am really nervous about injury. I’v battled issues for the past couple years after not having any for a decade. Stepping down to a shorter distance isn’t an option offered, unless I just quietly add myself to the 10K pack…Any advice?

7. Donna Porter says

I wanted to make sure you received my email? Also, do you email a spreadsheet for us to update or do I just send you my total weekly miles? Sorry..new to this :)

8. Gina B says

Just emailed! I’m so excited for this! I do lose motivation when Nov/Dec hits, so I’m hoping this helps keep me going! :)

I found this challenge through Amanda at RunToTheFinish and since I am already signed up for her Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge I figured this would be a great way to get me motivated through all of November!

Thanks for what looks like a great challenge and some great prizes, I would love to win the Fila toning outfit :)

Have been emailing you and tweeting you as I would definitely like to take part. Please send me the link to the spreadsheet so I can get in.

PLEASE! :)

11. Kathy says

Hi, I have a question. I just want to be sure that I’m following the rules exactly—-don’t want to “cheat”.

I wear a pedometer and I want to know if I can record the accumulated mileage I have done during the whole entire day—- or if I only am suppose to record the mileage that I do in only a planned exercise session , like my time on the treadmill or on a walk/run outside.

Thanks for doing this challenge! It really will help keep me going with my activity promises to myself now that the weather is getting so much colder.

12. Toni Callahan says

I’m in…and I am excited…not only do i need help out of this slump but I want to do my first half in the spring…this will definitely keep me motivated…thank you for helping all of us stay healthy!!! Good luck to you all, you are inspiring whatever goal you set…staying fit!

• Toni Callahan says

Ok by putting my name on the speadsheet on Oct 26 does that mean i am entered….or did i need to email you too? confused…sorry!!! LOL

13. Toni Callahan says