Van’s Power Grains Waffles

Happy Tuesday! I have a jelly donut jam packed day so let’s do this…

I started my day with a 5.5 mile run. I usually spring right out of bed, but today I felt hungry and blame that on my reluctant run.IMG 0012 800x600 thumb Van’s Power Grains Waffles

Weird foggy picture. You’re welcome.IMG 0011 800x600 thumb Van’s Power Grains Waffles

I spotted these Van’s Power Grains waffles at Whole Foods this weekend and was excited to give them a whirl. I used to eat waffles every week (and subject you to awful waffle Wednesday jokes) but have been focused on more protein lately. Well, this is like stoning two birds at once. Or something.IMG 9993 800x533 thumb Van’s Power Grains Waffles

The cover proudly says “totally natural” but the ingredient list is still long.IMG 9995 800x533 thumb Van’s Power Grains Waffles

The nutrition stats are good, but not amazing… I mostly say that because I thought the waffles were pretty small.IMG 9998 533x800 thumb Van’s Power Grains Waffles

I ate one with PB&naner one with sf syrup. They were really good and came out of the toaster over crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. I also liked that they smelled like cinnamon.IMG 0002 800x533 thumb Van’s Power Grains Waffles

But, this meal did not feel me up like my usual egg sandwich. That might be okay on a ‘not so hungry’ day (not that I ever have those) but it’s not cutting it today. I’m still hungry. Back to eggs tomorrow.waffle part 2 Van’s Power Grains Waffles

Question: What’s your go-to breakfast when you are HUNGRY (with a capital H)?

*I’m emailing winners of the pedometer and Beginner Running books right now.

Comments

1. Bethany says

My go to hungry breakfast is whole wheat pancakes with peanut butter and bananas. Yum. I could go for some right now!!

2. Cate says

Make a wafflewich! I put eggs and jam or a drizzle of maple syrup between two toasted (usually Van’s) waffles. It’s the best of both worlds!

Yum- I’m craving breakfast again now! My husband frequently eats Van’s as the ones he buys are vegan. (Not sure if all are?)
    My go-to when I’m H-ungry would have to be a stack pancakes or flax waffles with fresh berries.

I am Hungry every morning. My usual breakfast: oatmeal + cottage cheese & berries, 1 hardboiled egg, 2 sausages. This morning it was 2 eggs. Lotsa protein! But I lift a lot too.

Thanks for the review on the waffles. I was thinking about picking some up.

I like half a whole wheat bagel with muenster cheese. Then an Amy’s sausage, preferably feta & spinach.

Ok, I really like bacon cheese bagel from McDonalds. True Confessions. Trying to get an 80/20 balance though.

And by that I mean 80% Diet Coke, 20% water.
    Sigh.

10 grams of protein?! That’s awesome. I have to find those waffles. I eat the van’s blueberry waffles and they have like 2 grams of protein or somthing like that.
    Have you had the Van’s blueberry waffles? How does the taste compare?

I am a creature of habit and like to eat oats with a splash of almond milk, blueberries, and egg whites. It keeps me full for a few hours.

8. amy says

my favorite breakfast: one non-fat plain fage yogurt with a pack of raw almonds (the single serving packs) from trader joe’s. seems like a lot of almonds for a little yogurt container, but it tastes great and keeps you full. holler if you try it.

Whoa that’s alot of protein in a waffle. I might try them just for that! If I’m really really hungry I usually go for a pumpernickel or wheat bagel with lox, its one of my favorites in the morning but its too heavy to have all the time. Otherwise, its usually greek yogurt with granola and walnuts.

I like eggs, too, especially an egg (scrambled up) in a mug with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese. One minute to yumminess–can’t get much quicker or better than that!