The Best Salad Ever Ever Ever

After my morning client one of my co-workers offered to treat me to Starbucks. She had an hour to kill before her next client, I have an insatiable thirst for the stuff so I emphatically agreed.

She wanted to share a pastry and went with the pumpkin loaf. (Fun fact: When I worked at Starbucks in college I used to eat the leftover pastries all the time. But I think I made myself sick of them.) We vented about all things work related and I walked away from our coffee date caffeinated, but calm wlEmoticon smile18 The Best Salad Ever Ever Ever

20120425 102732 thumb The Best Salad Ever Ever Ever

I stopped by the store on the way home for some seltzer and ended up scoring some 50% off fruit. Don’t worry the expiration date isn’t until Saturday and it will be long gone in 2 hours anyways…20120425 111716 thumb The Best Salad Ever Ever Ever

This is the last lunch post I’m ever going to write because I plan on eating this everyday until I die…

It’s a Salmon Patty Salad with Peanut Dressing and almonds. I have this completely normal obsession with watermelon shredded cabbage and that went down first. Then, more veggies, TJ’s dressing, a salmon patty, big splash of liquid aminos and almonds. IMG 0025 800x533 thumb The Best Salad Ever Ever Ever

Served up with my fave fruit (because cherry season is too short).IMG 0034 800x533 thumb The Best Salad Ever Ever Ever

For the record I ate this exact salad for dinner last night. I love it.IMG 0030 800x533 thumb The Best Salad Ever Ever Ever

These are the salmon patties. From Costco, great nutrition stats – 110 calories with 20g of protein!IMG 9900 600x800 thumb The Best Salad Ever Ever EverIMG 9902 600x800 thumb The Best Salad Ever Ever Ever

Okay so I am running the Fontana Half June 2nd and the San Diego RnR Half June 3rd (I even considered doing the full here!). I don’t really train for half marathons because I just try to stay in shape year ‘round. But, I haven’t felt like I’m in good shape during the last couple of hail half marys I’ve done.

I’m running the RnR San Diego Half courtesy of Refuel Chocolate Milk! I really want to earn that chocolate milk victory lap so I’ve decided to actually train for this one.image thumb16 The Best Salad Ever Ever Ever

I created a RW Smart Coach plan, but it only has 1 hard day a week (tempo OR speed) and ALL the long runs are 13 miles?!image thumb17 The Best Salad Ever Ever Ever

I’m going to try and work with it, but ultimately I want to do 3 hard days and 1 or 2 days of whatever I want.

This is my completely un-thought-out, but it sounds good plan (read: don’t copy me because there is no method to my madness):

• Sundays: Rest (except for this weekend’s 10)
  • Monday: Fun run, strength
  • Tuesday: Tempo Tuesday 4-8 miles at as close to 8:08 as I can go
  • Wednesday is now Tensday: I’ve renamed this day as a remind to run 10 miles. I want to get used to running longer distances at 8:36s to Half Goal Pace.
  • Thursday: Strength, core
  • Fast Friday: 3 miles FAST, Yogurt Yoga
  • Saturday: Long Run 12-16 miles

If you had to eat the same thing for lunch everyday, what would it be?

Comments

So, at first I didn’t like SmartCOACH but then I became a convert for the half plans it spits out. They are pretty good, in my opinion. At least I had good results. The only thing I didn’t love was the taper – it was like zero taper when I used it for Fontana. I modified that because I like to have at least week of taper for a half.

It gave me 3 easy days, 1 tempo and all the LR are 13 miles. Did something like that work for you? Did you pay for the service to tweak it because it won’t let me?

Spinach salad with cucumber, cherry tomatoes, avocado, red peppers, a hard boiled egg and dressing of evoo, balsamic and apple cider vinegar, plus a cookie on the side ;)

That salad looks amazing! I think I’ll try to recreate it sometime this week.

If I could eat the same thing every day, with no recourse, it would be chicken wings. But since that helped me gain…40lbs I would say a turkey sandwich and yogurt (boring, I know).

Back to back half marathons..that is great. I wanted to run the Fontana half and just noticed that it is sold out :( If I could eat the same thing for lunch everyday it would probably be something horrible like pizza! I love it and it’s probably one of my biggest food weaknesses! I want to get back to being half marathon ready at all times too but this injury is holding me back :(

5. Marcee says

That (healthy) lunch would work fine for me too.

There’s something magical about crunchy lettuce, green onions, wee tomatoes and all those other goodies mixed with a fish or chicken protein. It definitely sustains. I could eat it a lot.

Looks as if the s-burgers are a bit salty w/400 mg. I will try them. CostCo in on our weekend list of ttd.

Do you prefer wild or farm raised salmon? The wild is weird to my tastebuds.

6. Caity says

If I’m being bad (read: real), onion rings with a side of ranch and a coke.

When I’m attempting to not die of heart disease, mini tortilla veggie pizzas! Or Greek salad. Mmmmmmm.

I’m pregnant so my “I could eat this all the time!” cravings change frequently :) It went from Subway to a cottage cheese/chickpea/black olive combo to tuna sandwiches. Currently nothing is calling my name and I’m not on speaking terms with chicken (or any meat really). I really could just drink lemonade and limeade and be happy :)

I love your attitude towards the half-marathon distance – I plan to get there one day where I feel like I could run that distance at least once a week.

8. Angie says

Which TJ dressing did you use on the salad? It looks really good so I want to make it as close to yours as possible.

I am also in love with the peanut dressing from TJ’s. Mmmm….think I’ll recreate that salad for dinner tonight!

I’m doint the SD RnR relay with my sis in law! It’s the first race I’ve done with her and I’m super excited. I plan to do Fontana next year. Don’t think I can swing back to back races. You’re a badass!

I thought I was a little nuts for doing half marathons on back to back weekends, you have me beat there! I tend to take training plans and tweak them to fit where I’m at and what I have time for, so I’m with you there. I’ve been on a Greek yogurt kick lately–having it every day along with half a Nutella sandwich. Love salads with lots of spinach and dried cranberries; hadn’t thought of using those salmon patties in a salad, but that sounds wonderful. Hmmm, do I have any left in the freezer or is a Costco run in my future?

Those salmon patties sound like something right up my alley-and that salad looks delish! I am definitely a creature of habit and tend to stick to the same things a lot. I could probably eat a veggie burger or tofu stir fry everyday and not get sick of it!

Salmon patties from Costco are the BEST!!! I wish they were cheaper though. I could eat them for every meal. I still am in desperate need of a TJ’s shopping trip for salad dressing.

I would say a nice toastie sandwich with soy floss or some veggie patty or vegan filling. Heavenly. Oh some crisps on the sides would be excellent too!

Pumpkin loaf is one of my favorite things ever! I almost went to Sbuks yesterday but didn’t give into the temptation! I am glad to hear someone else deserving did! :)

I have had the exact same problem with Smart Coach. I used it once a few years ago, and it gave me a perfectly fine plan, but now, no matter what I enter, it gives me months of 13 mile long runs. Frustrating! I’m going to try to use a plan from Train Like a Mother for my fall half.

16. Tia says

Subway Tuna Salad, YUM!

I can’t seem to find a good beginner running plan, I do so well on them for the first 5-6 weeks and then it seems like the plan has you running 8 walking 4 or something then all of a sudden I’m suppose to run for 30 minutes straight. Always gets me so discouraged then I fall totally off the wagon, it’s depressing.

17. Ina says

Salad everyday for lunch but must have combo of raw and roasted veggie. of course protein and get this…mustard. i love mustard.

I’m going to apologize now for maybe stalking you at the RnR San Diego half! It’s my PR race for the year, and although that’s not as fast as you’ll be going, maybe I’ll catch a glimpse of you at the start line! Might I add that two half’s in two days is borderline crazy, but not as crazy as a training plan that makes you run 13 miles for every long run!

I have had a smoothie as my lunch for over a year now. I have to chew something afterwards, but I love something cold and creamy in the middle of the day.

Sounds like a great race weekend! I will be at the San Diego RnR doing the full and my little brother will be there for his first!! Good luck :)

That salad looks so good! I use to buy those salmon patties all the time but my husband hates them so we stopped doing it. Maybe I can try and convince him to bring them back.

If I could eat one thing every day it would be pepperoni pizza…you didn’t say one healthy thing :)

My one thing? Cheeseburgers. With bacon.

My slightly better one thing: peanut butter and fruit sandwich

My as long as I don’t have to do the prep thing: Cobb or Greek salad.

I like way too much food!

23. Debbie says

Hey Monica, this salad looks so delicious! I hate dieting as much as the next person, but I have been trying Fullbar and their line of products, and I just wanted to come here and spread the word if anyone would be interested in checking them out. Here is a link to their website if anyone is interested:http://www.fullbar.com/

I’ve never eaten salmon burgers before but it sounds like a great idea.
    Also, starbucks is addicting, so I feel you there!

zerotofinish.blogspot.com

One thing for lunch?
    Birchermüesli with lots of fresh fruit (water melon, blackberries, apples, peaches…)…. It’s actually what I’m waiting for to be served again at my work canteen.. they only have it in summer.

26. samantha says

Love your blog and I read it daily … just curious and random … how do you like your coffee? You drink it quite often and it always makes me want to make a starbucks run lol … =)

I am really someone addicted with salad. Wow~ this salad looks simply delicious. Do you have a recipe for this? I want to try this out, thanks.

Janine
    To visit my blog, kindly cliquez ici.