Sunday Set Up For Thanksgiving

Hello! How was your weekend?

Ben and I played House Hunters yesterday. It was a bust though. The first Open House was a lie and there was no realtor there, plus it was such a tragedy the other house hunters said it would probably have to be knocked down. Boo.

At least I managed to do my makeup for the days events (that’s fallen by the wayside lately).image thumb22 Sunday Set Up For Thanksgiving

I was going to do a make-up post, but by the end of the day it was all rubbed off. Oh well, maybe next time.IMG 9315 800x600 thumb Sunday Set Up For Thanksgiving

Just let it go Monica, let it go…IMG 9313 800x600 thumb Sunday Set Up For Thanksgiving

Sunday: I started my Sunday with a nice morning walk. It was nice and crisp out wlEmoticon smile9 Sunday Set Up For Thanksgiving

Then, we headed to my mom’s to help my little brother with his science project. The cat was trying to help too…IMG 9323 600x800 thumb Sunday Set Up For Thanksgiving

I bossed supervised. IMG 9332 600x800 thumb Sunday Set Up For Thanksgiving

Bay leaf says “hi!”IMG 9324 600x800 thumb Sunday Set Up For Thanksgiving

Sunday Set Up

It’s Thanksgiving Week! It’s my favorite holiday, so I’m pretty excited. I’m making the green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole and cornbread casserole. So, I bought this pyrex set from Costco to make things easier.IMG 9317 800x600 thumb Sunday Set Up For Thanksgiving

I don’t think I’ve posted the recipe for Cornbread Casserole before because I figured most of you are already familiar with it. But, it’s not something I grew up with. I actually got this recipe from my ex-boyfriend’s Caucasian family, so I’m not sure if it’s a common thing in “all types of family circles”, but everyone I’ve made it for loves it.cornbread casserole thumb Sunday Set Up For Thanksgiving

I have this recipe memorized at this point, not sure who made the original.

Corn Bread Casserole Recipe

• 1 box corn bread mix (I’ve used everything from jiffy to TJ’s)
  • 2 eggs
  • 8 oz. greek yogurt OR sour cream
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1 can creamed corn
  • 2 Tb melted butter
cornbread casserole recipe thumb Sunday Set Up For Thanksgiving

Directions: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients. Pour into greased 8×8 pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until set. *I double the recipe every time I make it, so I use a bigger baking dish and bake for over an hour.

The recipe is intended to be combined with a box of jiffy corn bread or a similarly sized one. If you use a bigger box (like the ones from TJ’s) you might have to add a half a cup of milk to thin it out.

Question: How was your weekend? What are you making for Thanksgiving??

Comments

Weird, I went to an open house today too! I think it was the first I’ve ever been to, but it was depressing to love the house but know I can’t have it. Maybe in another 30+ years and a few lottery wins…

The natural look is in, okay! :D I haven’t worn makeup in soooo long.
    I’m reading too many blogs of everyone and their amazing cooking! The only cooking I do is by the microwave!
    Have a lovely Sunday night

3. Kristen says

I love corn casserole!!!! My mom used to make it for the holidays. I need to make some this year…its been way too long.

4. Libby says

Happy Thanksgiving week Monica! I just wanted to write a quick “thank you” for blogging about your walks. I know you are a runner and so am I (I am training for a full) but I still love to go for a good walk. I think people dismiss walking as “not a real work out” in blogland and I believe they are wrong, walking is SO good for us! Anyway, love your blog and thanks for showing that we don’t have to run 14 everyday to live healthy lives!

We think alike….I am making this corn bread on Thanksgiving too…its one of my kiddos favorites!! (And its so easy…leftovers are good..thumbs up for sure!)

You’re supposed to wear makeup? I usually make this big, unhealthy salad but this year I’m doing corn and appetizers to bring and going to hang with family and cook Wednesday.

House hunting is so fun/frustrating lol! There’s a house for sale in my neighborhood…..just sayin!! ;) My weekend was TOO short and my body still hates me for those hills on Saturday. We are doing Thanksgiving at our house with some neighbors since our families are both far away. Our menu includes: Turkey, cornbread dressing, sweet potato casserole (with marshmallows), rolls, gravy, cranberries, greenbean casserole, pumpkin pie, chess pie. I can’t wait!!!!

8. Janice says

I just wanted to thank you for POTM. Every time I’m lazy and say I’ll run tomorrow I think of POTM and drag myself out the door. Thanks!!

Just wanted to say thanks to you for offering this running challenge for this month as I tend to lose focus around the holidays. Unfortunately moving my granny meant no running this weekend but I did do a flight and a half of stairs about 300 times on Sat. (feel it in the calves still!) For Thanksgiving we are going to try some roasted cauliflower and brussel sprouts and add parsnips to the mashed potatoes. We might try your cornbread recipe too! And of course PIE! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

10. Jodi says

I make the same corn casserole except with a block of cream cheese (I use the light kind) instead of sour cream. And I sprinkle cheese on top when I bake it. You can put any kind on top, really. But when I got a fancier blend of shredded cheese from TJ’s last year (we were in CA for the holiday…we sadly do not have TJ’s in CO yet and I miss it), it put the casserole over the top! Sooo good!

So THAT’s how you make it! I had never had a dish like this before until I couldn’t go home to Massachusetts for Thanksgiving anymore so I stayed in Florida with another side of my family (who all live in Georgia) and one of my cousins made this. It must be a southern thing (with the corn bread and all) but it is absolutely delicious! Corn is one of my all time favorite foods, and mixed into a sweet casserole, it immediately became my favorite dish at Thanksgiving dinner. YUM!

12. Runningwithscissors says

Crazy you posted cornbread casserole….. I just got done filling my face with it. My mom made it for dinner. My absolute fave of all time. It’s one of my requirements for Thanksgiving too!