Skinny Shamrock Shake Recipe

Hello! Since I mentioned it was “Shamrock Shake Season” I got a few comments about them being a little high in calories. Yes. It’s true, but it’s okay.

Listen, I am all for 80% healthy eating, 20% Fish Fillets and Shamrock Shakes.

what she order fish fillet thumb Skinny Shamrock Shake Recipe

And/Or being responsible 80% of the time, partying 20%

image thumb16 Skinny Shamrock Shake Recipe

EVERYTHING in moderation. Shakes included.

shamrock shake thumb1 Skinny Shamrock Shake Recipe

I don’t see anything wrong with enjoying a REAL shake every now and then.

But for those of you that want one everyday and twice on Sundays, here is a Skinny Shamrock Shake Recipe to enjoy Monday through Friday…

skinny shamrock shake recipe thumb Skinny Shamrock Shake Recipe

Ingredients for one Skinny Shamrock Shake:

• 4-5 Milk Ice Cubes
  • 6 oz vanilla greek yogurt (one container)
  • 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (my scoops are really big)
  • 1/2 cup frozen spinach (or big handful of fresh)
  • 1 packet splenda / stevia / sugar / your choice
  • 3/4 – 1.5 cup milk
  • couple drops peppermint extract (<1/8 tsp)

I used frozen spinach to make the smoothie green. You can use fresh spinach or green food coloring. I like keeping this on hand because fresh spinach goes bad fast in my fridge (I am not the biggest fan of spinach salads lately.)IMG 1301 800x600 thumb Skinny Shamrock Shake Recipe

Protein powder: I have been using this Whey protein powder for my smoothies and in that Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe. I love that it tastes pretty good and you can buy a lifetime supply at Costco for a decent price.

IMG 1304 800x600 thumb Skinny Shamrock Shake Recipe

The key ingredient: Peppermint Extract! Add this to your favorite vanilla protein shake to make it shamrock-y.

IMG 1306 800x600 thumb Skinny Shamrock Shake Recipe

In addition to the peppermint – a real McDonald’s Shamrock Shake is THICK. I know some of you like it thick. Or at least I hope you do?bootie shot thumb Skinny Shamrock Shake Recipe

Anyway, to make the shake THICK use 3/4c milk to start and add a little bit at a time until it’s your desired consistency.

Just the Tip Tuesday: I make milk ice cubes for my smoothies to avoid watering down my shakes and iced coffee. These are almond milk, but I switch it up based on what I have. I used almond milk ice cubes, but cow’s milk for the liquid in this shake.almond milk ice cubes thumb Skinny Shamrock Shake Recipe

Directions: Blend. Slurp. Enjoy!

IMG 1315 800x600 thumb Skinny Shamrock Shake Recipe

Question: How do you balance a healthy lifestyle with indulgent treats?

I try to stick to 80% healthy, 20% FUN but sometimes that scale tips in the wrong direction.

Comments

I just had a Shamroch shake yesterday and was sad to see that a small had over 500 calories. Thanks McDonalds for ruining all my fun and putting the calorie counts on the menu. But like you, I try to eat healthy most of the time so I don’t feel bad about having a treat like that on occasion. Thanks for the recipe, I’ll give it a try. I LOVE Shamrock shakes.

It’s all about balance… right now I’m addicted to Peeps. I have had to put a limit on my daily intake. I also make sure that I’m exercising at least 5 days a week to burn off my indulgences.

You are a genius and I have all those ingredients at home!
    My son wanted a shamrock shake over the weekend, I ordered a medium so that I could have some sips of it too…that way I got over my craving for a shamrock shake but felt better about myself because technically I didn’t order myself one…

I love the healthy twist on the Shamrock Shake! I can’t bear to slurp down the 500 calorie version even though my brain is saying, “Yes Please!”. Also love the almond mile ice cubes. Great idea!

That looks so delicious! I’ll definitely have to try something like that.

We don’t get Shamrock shakes in Canada. I had no idea this was a thing. I feel a little bit ripped off. But not too ripped off, because I don’t need that kind of temptation so close to home (the closest McDonalds is only a 5 minute walk from my house).

• Mary says

Canada has Shamrock shakes. I live in Ontario and McDonald’s restaurants in my city have them. Where are you that your McDonald’s does not sell them? It’s a pretty standard seasonal item.

Great idea with the milk cubes! I find that I live 100% healthy when I in town (which is 80% of the time). I allow myself favorite treats only when I go on a trip out of town–mainly to my hometown I go to my Fav places. Maybe it’s unrealistic for some people, but it works me for!

Since I went back to counting WW points in support of a friend, I have adopted the cheat meal. So one meal a week, I can have what I want. Not the whole day, for one meal. And only if I lost on the scale that week. It turns into quite the motivator. For example, if I lose this week, I want Panda Express. Last week it was pizza. And while I was allowed the cheat meal, I had to count the points and be responsible for the leftovers.

The Kidless Kronicles

8. Karen says

I have a really dumb question. How do you break up the frozen spinach to use in your smoothies? I usually use fresh, but I thought I’d try frozen since I have the same problem with fresh spinach going bad. I didn’t want to use the whole frozen glob, so I tried hacking it into little pieces with a butcher knife (which did not work at all and had the potential to cause serious injury) before I finally gave up and used the frozen spinach for soup.

Life’s too short. Train hard, party hard is my motto. I take my training seriously but if I wasn’t having fun, what’s the point? I don’t use my training to justify my not-so-good habits, they just naturally balance out each other. I burn an average of 3,000 calories a day. Maybe I’m lucky but it works.

10. Vernie says

It’s easiest for me to stick to healthy eating during the week where I can fit it into my daily routines. My weekends I let myself live a little and indulge a bit so that I don’t feel deprived.

Totally agree with you about moderation. You can’t do things 100% of the time, you’ll get old and bored. I am sooooo going to have to try the skinny shamrock shake recipe, tonight…..as I head out the door shortly to hit the grocery store for the ingredients.

Perfect! I’ve been really wanting a Shamrock Shake lately, but until I finally break down and get a legit one, I’ll have to try your recipe. I like that spinach would make the green color. I’ve always just heard of green food coloring. Makes too much sense.

We should be friends! I think the same way. Be healthy, most of the time, but have fun! If you don’t, you’ll either binge, be miserable, or both.

I don’t drink the Shamrock Shakes. I have a “no McDonald’s” rule. I will eat at any other fast food restaurant, but every McDonald’s in my neck of the woods has terrible service and always gets your order wrong. So I have refused to go for nearly 3 years.

But I do miss the Shamrock Shakes most of all. And Southwest Salads.

14. Emily @SinfulNutrition says

Yum! Cannot wait to try this. I actually thought of coming up with a shamrock shake recipe using fresh mint since I just bought a mint plant but I think I’ll be using your recipe instead! Such a good idea to make milk ice cubes as well. Never even thought of that! Thanks for the recipe!

My husband and I meant to go get a real shamrock shake last year and never did. Now this year we intend to. Perhaps after the marathon! Calories don’t count when you run a marathon, right? :-D

I comlpetely agree with the 80/20 rule and even try to keep it 90/10 during the week. It’s all about balance.

However, I’m not a fan of those Shamrock Shakes but out of my way if there is an iced sugar cookie on the sample tray at the grocery store!

I use the 80/20 rule mostly as well. During the week I’m always really good about my diet and exercise, but on the weekend’s when I don’t have a work and workout schedule to stick to, I’m more lenient about it. This actually looks really good even though I’m not a huge mint/peppermint fan.

18. Lynn in MD says

Tried your recipe tonight. Good idea… but 1/2tsp peppermint extract is way too much. I saw your last recipe used 1/8tsp. I say try 1/4tsp next time and it will be plenty pepperminty!

• mj says

Agreed about reducing the mint by at least half, maybe more. Had to dump the first batch because 1/2tsp of mint was too powerful to drink!

19. Becki says

Agreed Lynn MD… 1/2 tsp WAY too much. Sad too, because its so pretty and I used the last of the milk to make this batch! :( I’ll have to try again another day.

I just tried this today, but it was not a success :( I used less than 3/4 cup of milk and it was not thick in the least. The flavor was also just really off for me, but I think it’s because I used honey instead of real sugar to sweeten it.

The Shamrocks Shake is the only thing I like from the Mac. Fortunately, I live in Ireland so we only have once a year or else I would be putting on serious weight!

I’m going to give your skinny version a go as it looks delicious and healthy. Thank you for posting it.

So I totally tried (read: failed) at making one of these last year. I used to be OBSESSED with Shamrock Shakes in my chubster days… so I definitely looked for modifications. I went to the store and could only find one peppermint extract. It was NOT shamrock mint, but rather candy cane like mint, blech.