Eat More Watermelon at the Marine Corps Marathon

Updated to add: Pile on the Miles 2013 sign-ups start next week! We will be piling on miles and NOT pounds this Nov with the free challenge. Stay tuned!!

This morning I found myself right back where I started… last week. LAX!

LAX Airport thumb Eat More Watermelon at the Marine Corps Marathon

I’m headed to Washington DC for the Marine Corps Marathon!

The National Watermelon Board is a sponsor of the race and they gave me a bib for this one! They will be handing out watermelon at the Kid’s Race and after the Marathon on Sunday! <- Head’s up: If you want any watermelon you have to beat me to the finish.

a love letter to watermelon and runnning thumb Eat More Watermelon at the Marine Corps Marathon

Since I’m going with Team #EatMoreWatermelon I thought I should dress the part so I busted out my watermelon costume…

running with watermelon 800x800 thumb Eat More Watermelon at the Marine Corps Marathon

But after a few laps around the block I realized:

A.) My neighbors think I’m crazy and will probably not allow their children to trick-or-treat at my house.

and

B.) That dress is NOT runner friendly!

Luckily, they sent me a shirt to sport instead! Vegas digs it.

image thumb17 Eat More Watermelon at the Marine Corps Marathon

Keep an eye out for the Watermelon Team at the expo and after the race. Tell them RunEatRepeat sent ya to get some watermelon and bring it back to her!

watermelon for me 800x800 thumb Eat More Watermelon at the Marine Corps Marathon

Since I am the #1 fan of watermelon, I have to suggest we carve a watermelon instead of a pumpkin for Halloween this year!

watermelon carving bat thumb Eat More Watermelon at the Marine Corps Marathon

(source)

Question: If you had to be a food for Halloween what would you be?

What are you doing this weekend??

Disclaimer: I am attending MCM through my partnership with the Watermelon Board. All opinions are my own.

Comments

I’d go as a caramel or a candy apple =)
    I’m running the last 10 miles of the NYC Marathon route (including the Queensboro Bridge which is at mile 16 of the course) as my last long run before next weekend.
    I’m having a big birthday bash to celebrate turning 40.

I’m probably also going to be checking your instagram on Sunday for pics of MCM.
    Happy Running and Happy Watermeloning! Something tells me the Watermelon Board should just sponsor ALL your races. I mean you ARE the biggest watermelon advocate/lover around =)

2. kristen says

I could honestly live off watermelon I will definitely need to look for a shirt to wear! I’m excited to try a new run/training group this weekend to train for my second half marathon :)

Hey Monica,
    So very cool that you are coming to our side of the country again! Lots of our friends are doing MCM. Just know… It was gotten really COLD out here and Sunday is supposed to be chilly as well! Have fun and maybe we’ll see you on the course!

4. Jessica J. says

I’m running a 10K on Sunday! Last year it was pouring rain for this race so I’m excited to see the forecast of only 10% chance this year :) PS. Can’t wait for Pile on the Miles. I’m running the Seattle Half Marathon on Dec 1st so training will be my motivation for November miles!

5. Elizabeth says

Have fun in DC this weekend! If I wasn’t moving I would be out there running with you/fangirl-ing out if I happened to bump into you.

I’m on vacation next week & have no idea what we’re doing… that’s actually kinda nice :)

The dress doesn’t look like its runner friendly… I would be a kiwi – then I wouldn’t have to shave my legs. :)

Cute dress! Definitely looks like the wrong shape for running, though–I can see how that would be awkward! Have fun in DC, too. I was living in DC before moving to Australia, and I still miss it sometimes. Can’t wait to see your pics!

We are taking the family to an apple orchard which by the way my 8th grader is super excited for!!! Love that!! She told me she has never been to one…oops?! Guess we missed that milestone along the way…hahhahah!

9. april says

love the watermelon costume, but you’re right, definitely NOT runner friendly! good luck running MCM this weekend =)

speaking of “food” costumes, they showed a “sexy” sriracha costume on the chew today… haha

When I was in elementary school, my sister and I went as “spaghetti and meatballs”. We both had huge spray-painted cardboard “plates” around our waists, we wore red turtlenecks and had yarn “spaghetti” wrapped all around us (she had meatballs, too, but I can’t remember what they were made out of). We also each had cardboard giant forks and knives wrapped in foil. It was pretty legendary.

I saw that watermelon dress, and I thought, “How is she going to run in that? Won’t her boobs pop out?” Good thing they gave you a shirt to wear. ;-)

Have fun handing out watermelon! Sounds super fun!

12. Nicole says

How cool that the Watermelon Board is sponsoring you!!

Carving Watermelons….never thought of that, but I can totally see a Frankenstein-green face ending up on a watermelon at my house this year! :) Safe travels!

13. lisa says

working :(
    hope you have a great time in dc! i live about 10 min away & ran there this morning. saw some mcm signs being set up (ran past the mile 10. thankfully i had already finished MY mile 10!) & of course porta potties

I love the idea of dressing as food. I’d be something big and round purely for comedy value. Maybe a pumpkin or a killer tomato. I just got back from seeing my favourite band, Arctic Monkeys. Tomorrow chores and chill in’ and Sunday watching my boyfriend in our local annual ten miler, The Great South Run.

Not gonna lie–I saw the booth today at the MCM expo and I thought a) is this for real? And b) where is RER?! Only to hand you be on the plane flying here. Hope you’re ready for cold temps on Sunday! Hope to randomly run into you–but since you’re super speedy and I’m only trying to finish this race (ideally sub 4:30) I think we might miss each other (boo!)

16. Erika says

Ahh this weekend I’m going to a Halloween Party. I didn’t feel like spending a ton of money on a costume soo I’m going to be a simple witch.

Good luck this weekend!

17. Lala says

I totally thought of you when I saw the watermelon booth at the Expo! I’m running the MCM10K…I’ve never run a full, but I’m making it my goal for next year. Have a great time, and dress warmly!