Walking on the Great Wall of China

Walking on the Great Wall of China was on my ‘bucket list’ and I crossed it off yesterday!

SAM 0401 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

The Great Wall of China is thousands of miles long and I visited a small part of it. We went to one of the highest parking lots in the area so we could get to a high spot with great views. It was the JuYong Pass Ticket Office.

SAM 0357 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

Once you buy tickets the entrance has bathrooms and a few shops.

SAM 0436 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

SAM 0367 600x800 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

They even have iced coffee if you need a boost before tackling the wall.

SAM 0438 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

Let’s do this!

SAM 0370 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

SAM 0374 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

SAM 0382 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

SAM 0375 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

There are five towers from this entrance. It’s not a very long climb, about .75 miles. But it’s very steep in most areas, mostly stairs…

SAM 0387 600x800 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

with some short areas that are not stairs, just inclines.

SAM 0388 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

Most visitors climb to the first or second tower. There were much fewer people once you went past the second and third tower.

I made it to the fifth tower where it dead ends and celebrated!

“You are not a hero until you climb the Great Wall’” – Mao

SAM 0380 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

At the top there is a very steep staircase to get to the top of the tower.

SAM 0405 600x800 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

SAM 0393 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

The views are awesome and it’s such a historic place I took some time just to take it all in and remember this moment.

SAM 0401 800x600 thumb1 Walking on the Great Wall of ChinaSAM 0429 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

Unfortunately, you can’t climb across the whole Great Wall because it’s no longer continuous. There are areas that aren’t up any longer and it’s hard or dangerous to cross on foot. Supposedly only two people have went across the whole Great Wall (on foot and bike and car combined) and they are both American. Maybe I should be #3?!?!

SAM 0385 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of ChinaSAM 0389 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

SAM 0430 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

SAM 0432 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

SAM 0426 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

Then, it was time to go back down…

SAM 0429 800x600 thumb1 Walking on the Great Wall of China

SAM 0433 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

It’s January and seems to be low season for tourism so the Great Wall wasn’t crowded. I’ve heard stories about it being pretty packed, but we were lucky to have the top all to ourselves = the six people from our group that made it all the way up.

The whole climb up and down took about 1.5 hours (including a lot of stops for pictures on the way) and was 1.4 miles. SAM 0435 800x600 thumb Walking on the Great Wall of China

One of the best days ever!

SAM 0380 800x600 thumb1 Walking on the Great Wall of China

Tips for visiting the Great Wall of China:

1. As with most places in Beijing, bring your own toilet paper. Use the restrooms at the base, there are none going up.
  2. Check the weather and dress in layers. It was very cold on the day we visited, but since I was climbing stairs it got hot fast and took off some layers.
  3. The stairs toward the hand rails are very worn and some are extremely ‘dented’ from millions on foot steps. Watch your step!
  4. Take your time if you’re not in shape. The first steps from the bottom were the most steep.
  5. Enjoy every single second.

(Yes, I would love to run the Great Wall Marathon, but that’s not realistic right now or maybe ever. I am very very grateful I had this opportunity.)

Question: What’s on your bucket list?

pin it button Walking on the Great Wall of China

Comments

Wow! That is such a cool experience! I would love to do that one day. I just want to travel. Anywhere! When I get in the best shape of my life (hopefully that’s not now haha) I want to go to Greece and do the Athens Marathon.

Amazing. I happen to be reading Wild Swans by Jung Chang at the moment, all about China in the 21 century (highly recommended), so this is so evocative.

I ticked off a major goal four years ago when I walked the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu. I’m off travelling again soon and really hope to see China and Japan if our funds stretch that far but I’ll be happy to get to Patagonia in South America and see me some glaciers at the bottom of the world. I expect that will be chilly, too!

The great wall marathon would be awesome!

I wonder if this is the part of the GW that is always shown in pictures? That one steep climb up to the tower look like a lot of other pictures I’ve seen. Now that you say that about other parts being closed, not connected, etc., that makes a little more sense.

And thanks for the TP tip. That would be most unfortunate to learn the hard way.

I don’t officially have a bucket list, but I really want to go to New Zealand. And when I get there I want to go on this really amazing zip line tour they have through a canyon. They suspend you on your stomach so you get to feel like you’re flying. It looks awesome.

When we hiked Diamond Head, we just went up and down as fast as we could, took 2 pictures at the top and went back down. We should have taken more time to enjoy ourselves. We were just in a hurry to see everything we could. Good job taking time to observe and enjoy.

Wow! A-mazing pictures. Thanks so much for sharing. My Dad in law ran the Great Wall Marathon as a part of his journey to being part of the seven continents club. This gives me an even deeper appreciation for that run! Have a wonderful trip!!!!

MJ

7. april says

i visited china in late november/early december and was able to climb the great wall, as well. it was an amazing and completely surreal “bucket list” experience, but my calves were definitely sore the next day! =)

I got to climb the Great Wall in the summer of 2012, and it was such an amazing experience. The only bad part – it was scorching hot, and those stairs are a workout! So our pictures are very sweaty :). Glad you enjoyed it!

It’s so surreal, I’m sure… to actually be on the Great Wall of China!

My bucket list? I’d love to climb Mount Whitney (I know, not exactly Everest), taking a cooking course in Italy, go to Fiji, and publish a novel.

Ahhh I’m so glad you got to walk the Great Wall! I walked about 10k along it in 2010 and it was amazing, I would definitely go back. Beijing is one of the most fascinating places I’ve ever visited, hope you had an amazing time there. Jo x

I visited the Great Wall a few years ago and this brought back some memories! I remember being surprised at how steep the stairs were and happy that I was fit enough to climb them!

Ah you’re lucky! I went in November to the Great Wall and it was ridiculously crowded! Although I did go to a different section of the wall than you did.

I love travel bucket lists! Two years ago: Great Wall. Last year: Machu picchu. Next… Maybe Ankor Wat? What’s next on your travel bucketlist?