Friday Favorites for Chinese New Year

Happy (Chinese) New Year!

image thumb18 Friday Favorites for Chinese New Year

Since we went to China somewhat near the Chinese New Year a lot of places were gorgeously decorated with red and gold lanterns and other ornate art. It was amazing.

SAM 0925 800x600 thumb Friday Favorites for Chinese New Year

I scored some red envelopes to share the love from this little shop. It’s the year of the horse.

SAM 1134 800x600 thumb1 Friday Favorites for Chinese New Year

From the Guardian:

The Chinese zodiac – or Shēngxiào – is a calendar system originating in the Han dynasty (206-220BC), which names each of the years in its 12-year cycle after an animal: the rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, goat, monkey, rooster, dog and pig, in that order. According to the system, the universe is made up of five elements – earth, water, fire, wood and metal – which interact with the 12 animals, resulting in the specific character of the year ahead.

8 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Year of the Horse

12 Recipes to Celebrate the Lunar New Year

Friday Favorites for Chinese New Year (that have nothing to do with the New Year):

1. Bananas and Oranges. I always eat bananas in the week leading up to a race, but I’m obsessed with oranges this week too. They’re just extra delicious right now.

monicans love bananas 800x800 thumb Friday Favorites for Chinese New Year

2. HGTV. I really only watch five channels – Bravo, TLC, E and something local for weather/news. My favorite rotates according to my mood. (I get my news via NPR, but need to rotate a national new channel in there asap.)

3. Pink nail polish. I got my nails done this week and always spend way too long staring at the colors trying to convince myself to try something new. Since it’s always some version of pink I decide based on the name – Aphrodite’s Pink Nightie sounds fun…

4. Champagne. Always and forever.

Plus, this sweatshirt I spotted at Charlotte Russe.

image thumb19 Friday Favorites for Chinese New Year

Question: What’s your favorite thing this week?

Comments

Going to grandma’s house is a favorite.

I watch those channels and The Five on Fox News. My husband loves History Channel and Discovery. Sometimes I watch with him, but usually I just sit in the room with him and read instead.

Interesting info about the Chinese New Year! I also love HGTV, especially House Hunters. My favorite thing this week is friend time – I had a ladies sushi date last night and have wine and cheese lady time scheduled for tonight. Making an effort to end my winter hibenation :)

Hmmm, I’d have to say that my favorite thing is this yellow polish I scored at Ulta last night. I blogged about it, but I have been looking for the perfect shade of a good quality yellow polish FOREVER. Last night, I went by Ulta and scooped up Butter London in Pimms. It’s beautiful, and it needs to be at $15 a pop, but I am totally loving that this week.

Also, totally agree on your tv channels. I only watch Bravo, E!, HLN, and MTV. I used to watch a bunch of A&E, but Intervention doesn’t really come on anymore so not so much.

My fave thing this week is swimming (since my back is hurting, it’s about all I can do!). I usually watch either local news, or netflix, or sometimes weird sports (I watched snowmobile jumping last weekend).

5. april says

i just started watching house hunters international on HGTV recently and i’m obsessed! i’m thinking that i really need to move overseas =)

thank you – because of this post i just impulse bought that sweater! within like 3 minutes! i say (and have) “champagne for breakfast” ALL THE TIME.

I’m going through bananas and oranges like crazy too!!
    Right now my nails are sporting that “take me off already I’ve been on your nails for over a month” look ;) lol.. I’m awful at keeping up a manicure!
    Favorite Thing for Friday is my new Tommie Copper Compression tights… I’ve loving them!! And your word slobradoodle… linked to your blog on my post today! :)

8. Molly says

My favorite thing this week is my daughter’s report card, 3 A’s and 3 B’s. She started middle school this year and has had a tough time so I’m really proud of her!

My favorite thing this week is the lead-up to this Sunday’s Super Bowl. I’m not a huge sports fan but the Seattle Seahawks are playing in it and the entire Puget Sound region in which I live is totally amped for the game this Sunday. Woot woot!