Meatless Mexican Monday–Pintos Pizza

meatless mexican pizza recipe thumb Meatless Mexican Monday–Pintos Pizza

Happy President’s Day!

driving back home 669x502 thumb Meatless Mexican Monday–Pintos Pizza

Yesterday we drove back home and made a pit stop at my mom’s to celebrate her birthday. We kept it low key since my new lil niece was there and my dad and I have both been traveling. That means – Chinese take out! Oh yeah.

chinese take out 669x502 thumb Meatless Mexican Monday–Pintos Pizza

I picked up a pie and ice cream on the way for dessert. peach pie and ice cream 669x502 thumb Meatless Mexican Monday–Pintos Pizza

By the time I got home it was after 11pm and this morning I ended up running longer than planned because I had to get my car from Ben’s work. Long story.

10 mile run 409x545 thumb Meatless Mexican Monday–Pintos Pizza

Anyway. My fridge is kinda bare, but I was starving after my run. Plus it’s Meatless Monday!

Luckily, I was able to whip up a delicious pizza with my new Toufayan Flatbread the company sent me to try.

IMG 4406 800x533 thumb Meatless Mexican Monday–Pintos Pizza

I think the crust is what really ‘makes’ a pizza and this was perfect. The flat bread is thick and chewy. They sell white and wheat options so you can take your pick. Make sure to toast it before spreading on the toppings and it comes out perfect.

IMG 4416 800x533 thumb Meatless Mexican Monday–Pintos Pizza

Mexican Meatless Monday – Pintos Pizza

Makes 4*. Vegetarian.

Ingredients:

• 4 Toufayan Flat Breads
  • 1 can low fat refried beans
  • 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
  • pico de gallo
  • optional: cilantro, jalapenos, sour cream, avocado…

Directions: Toast flat breads. Stir beans with your favorite hot sauce. Spread a layer of beans on eat flat bread. Top with cheese and pico de gallo. Place in broiler until cheese is melted – this happens FAST so watch them and check every two minutes. Top with cilantro and sour cream to garnish.

IMG 4417 800x533 thumb Meatless Mexican Monday–Pintos Pizza

Enjoy! IMG 4427 800x533 thumb Meatless Mexican Monday–Pintos Pizza

*Note that I said this makes 4 pizzas, not serves 4. Because I want two of them to myself.

every pizza is a personal pizza thumb Meatless Mexican Monday–Pintos Pizza

IMG 4442 800x533 thumb Meatless Mexican Monday–Pintos Pizza

Question: If you can only pick ONE pizza topping besides cheese – what would you choose?

Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Toufayan. All opinions are my own.

Comments

1. Paula says

Eggplant. Fried, obvs. It makes me sad that not many places outside of New England recognize the merits of eggplant on pizza.

I never would have thought about using beans as a replacement for sauce on a pizza–that’s a really great idea! I love refried beans so I’m definitely going to have to try this one out. My choice of pizza topping would have to be jalapenos. I love how they spice up the pizza!

ooh, beans instead of sauce. I like it! I’d probably go with bacon or peppers on my pizza, something to give it a little crunch. But honestly when it comes to pizza I don’t mind just cheese as long as I get to have pizza.

4. betty says

pineapple, always! except for lately, I’ve picked up the tofuyan whole wheat pitas and made bbq chicken. soooo good.. I actually cant remember the last time I had a real pizza. pita pizza for the win!

5. Angelica says

I must be in the minority, but these sponsored posts seem SO disingenuous. I stop reading as soon as you mention some product you just happen to have on hand that some company just happens to have sent, never mind the teeny tiny font at the end in which you mention it’s a sponsored post. I usually skip your semi-homemade recipes anyway, but these in particular irk me. Ultimately, this is your blog and you will post as you see fit; however, I’ve been asking myself lately what it is that keeps me coming back to your blog. It’s certainly not your recipes or your selfies. I love your race recaps, but not even that lately. You won’t take a professional’s advice and follow a REAL plan to improve your running, which means I won’t be getting anything new from reading your recaps, not to mention your regular running posts. Be picky, be organized, clean up your blog, reexamine its purpose. I’m just someone who reads for free, but I want to continue reading, so I’m rooting for you!

I hear what you’re saying and appreciate the feedback. I’m never picky or organized by nature, and I’m not in a place to follow a real running plan just yet. Hope that doesn’t bug ya too much.

• Angelica says

You know, I think the phrase should be, if you have nothing CONSTRUCTIVE to say, then say nothing. I don’t think I was being mean. I like RER enough to share my opinion. I’ve come across dozens of running blogs I couldn’t even name because they didn’t hold my interest, but RER is not one of those blogs.