So, I focused on Honoring My Hunger this week and it was a learning experience. I don’t expect to be able to read my hunger perfectly at this point, but I’m trying to be more aware.
The third principle of Intuitive Eating is Make Peace With Food.
From the Intuitive Eating website:
Call a truce, stop the food fight! Give yourself unconditional permission to eat. If you tell yourself that you can’t or shouldn’t have a particular food, it can lead to intense feelings of deprivation that build into uncontrollable cravings and, often, bingeing When you finally “give-in” to your forbidden food, eating will be experienced with such intensity, it usually results in Last Supper overeating, and overwhelming guilt.
I take this as – stop calling chocolate chip cookies and pizza “Bad”. Eat what you really want, not what you think you should eat because it’s healthy.
This chapter of the book actually gives specific steps to Make Peace with Food:
1. Pay attention to foods that appeal to you and make a list of them.
2. Put a check by the foods that you do allow yourself and circle the ones that are off limits.
3. Give yourself permission to eat one of your forbidden foods – go out and eat it.
4. Check in with yourself to see if the food takes as good as you imagined. If you really like it continue to buy it or order it.
5. Make sure you keep enough of that food around so you know you can have it whenever you want.
You should go through this process with every forbidden food.
Hmmmm…I’m going to make my food list and see what I come up with.
Question: Do you have “forbidden foods”? Do you let yourself enjoy them without guilt?
Run SMART Goals
Fill out this form to get the SMART Running Goals worksheet to your inbox!