Easing Into It

As you may have noticed I have not been eating true Body For Life style. With BFL you are supposed to aim for ratios of 40 :40 protein to carbs and my meals have been carb heavy and included things like dark chocolate. God Bless it (even though BFL doesn’t.)IMG 6754 thumb Easing Into It

For a second and a half I felt bad about slacking on this plan, but before I would let myself get upset I realized I should keep building on the changes I have made so far. I have already noticed a huge change in my blood sugar and hunger patterns. I normally feel like I cannot stop myself from afternoon snacking and nighttime eating. Now that I make sure protein is a big part of every meal that has become a lot more controllable. It is a noticeable difference and I’m happy with that even if I am not losing pounds like crazy.

sorry high protein apology ecard someecards Easing Into It

My afternoon snack was roasted broccoli (that was disgusting because I accidently poured salt all over it instead of sprinkling) and a few wasa crackers with hummus and turkey. This snackage got me through my photography class – I credit the proteinwlEmoticon smile30 Easing Into It

IMG 6729 thumb Easing Into It

One of the bigger changes from my attempt at BFL is the fact that after years and years of vegetarianism I am eating poultry. Since I don’t have any “go to” chicken recipes I had to use one of my mom’s. Well, it’s an improvised recipe. Tonight I chopped up 3 large chicken breasts and sautéed them with onions and zucchini.

IMG 6733 thumb Easing Into It

Once the chicken was cooked and zucchini soft, add a can of Campbell’s condensed Cream of Mushroom soup (my mom’s staple recipe), a bag of mushrooms and a cup of cottage cheese. Finally I seasoned with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.IMG 6744 thumb Easing Into It Done and delicious! It was great!IMG 6738 thumb Easing Into It

I served this with rice for Ben:IMG 6740 thumb Easing Into It

And a sweet potato for myself wlEmoticon smile30 Easing Into ItIMG 6751 thumb Easing Into It

Ben photo bombed my wine picture!

IMG 6753 thumb Easing Into It

On Weight loss: I have been getting a lot of questions on how BFL is working and weight loss. Since I am not following BFL exactly I didn’t want to weigh myself last Friday. I will update that sometime this week or next.

My Intuitive Eating background keeps me very hesitant to do anything that feels like a diet. Easing into a more balanced way of eating (with more protein and fat instead of copious amounts of cereal) has helped me to feel comfortable with these changes and know that I can maintain them long term.

In order to keep building on my BFL efforts I am going to add a mini-goal to my week every week for the next 6. For the rest of this week I am going to switch out my dessert with a protein ice cream shake icon smile Easing Into It This goal is going to be fun.

Comments

I agree with Sana! I’m glad you aren’t being hard on yourself about not following BFL 100%. I think gradual changes will be much more likely to become a routine. Glad to hear the protein and fat is helping satiate you through the afternoon. Apple & peanut butter is my afternoon snack staple. It does wonders to keep me full until dinnertime.

2. Silvara says

Heya! I’ve completed one full week of it – Actually to be honest – I did a trial week of it before officially starting and still saw some changes – as you said, I’m not hungry, more alert and so much more conscious of the food choices I am making…

Now am trying to follow it pretty much to the tee (it’s bloody hard when you’re not used it let me tell you!!) and just wanted to let you know that I’m already seeing pretty good results!

Haven’t dropped too much weight (just under a kilo) but lost 1 inch on my thighs, hips and butt :D AND I can feel my strength rapidly increasing. If I don’t follow it strictly I’m not beating myself up for it (there may have been a moment or two when I snuck a handful of chocolate chips in, plus a glass or two of wine :P) but it IS working.

So take it at your own pace but stick with it! :D

I think you’re doing great Monica! You can definitely tell a higher increase in your protein which is really commendable. Don’t sweat it if your intakes are not exact, you’ll get to where your body works best. ;)

I like your mini goal idea, I think that is smart ; )

I also like that you are going to switch out your ordinary snack at night for protein icecream! I have not made that in forever, I need to!

I also want to say, good job, just listen to your body and do whats best for you!

• D says

Oh yeah! I loved reading this. Monica, have you ever considered doing a vegetarian BFL challenge? Also, are you planning on “starting” the actual program or are you just going to loosely follow the ideas and do your own thing?

I think what you eat seems just right for someone with your activity level. I wish I ate as well! Something about having a baby turned me into a college boy in terms of eating (cold pizza for breakfast, etc.) I think the reason I don’t see any change in how my clothes fit is because I don’t get a lot of chances to eat :)

I’ve definitely noticed the impact protein has on my hunger levels (and cravings!). Now that you’re eating chicken, I have a bunch of crockpot chicken recipes that you might like for nights when you’re super busy (if you don’t have a crockpot you SOO need one).

We just had this last night (ugly picture) and I was reminded how good and easy it was: http://www.thesweetslife.com/2009/11/crockpot-salsa-chicken.html

Also good and fairly healthy: http://www.thesweetslife.com/2010/11/crockpot-chicken-and-basil-dumplings.html & http://www.thesweetslife.com/2010/10/slow-cooker-orange-chicken.html & http://www.thesweetslife.com/2009/10/indonesian-chicken-with-peanut-sauce.html

Okay chicken overload. Sorry. I just love showing people how awesome crockpots are :)

I had to do the exact same thing when I decided to start Clean Eating. I bought the reading materials and was so excited about it, and then immediately started beating myself up when I couldn’t do it all perfect on Day 1. I am still working at it, and am proud to say that now about 50%-75% of my diet is Clean. Changes like these are a work in progress, keep it up and Good Luck on your goal. And like the others said, keep doing what works for YOU, not what works for the books. <3 you RER!

I am trying my hardest to follow BFL but honestly, it is confusing to me. I just don’t get the 40% protein 40% carbs thing…I will say that with what I am doing may be working. I have not dropped any weight..and acctually think that I have picked up a few lbs but I feel stronger and I think I noticed that my jeans are a bit less snugg…but it could be becuase I am on day 3 of them..lol… I took one week pictures and I think I can see a tiny difference…maybe very tiny..lol

i’m glad you’re doing what works for you. i know it works for other people, but i do NOT do well on plans that tell you specifics on what to eat. i do much better by trying to eat healthy and balanced meals at least 80% of the time and the rest of the time it will all balance out!

i like the ice cream shake goal! :) i might have to join you on that one. mmm.

My favorite chicken recipe:

Sear chicken breasts in an oven safe pan with some oil. Get a good sear, so they’re all crusty on the bottom. Flip them over, smother them with whole grain mustard (the kind with the seeds) and throw them in the oven until they’re cooked all the way through. SO GOOD.

I have been eating more protein and more fat lately; I basically have slowly increased my intake over the last three or so months and I feel great. I have lost my ten nagging pounds. Sometimes if I eat a really high fat meal, I feel sluggish and gross afterwards, so I try to keep the fat moderate at meal times and then have a snack with a good proportion of fat. I now have way fewer sugar cravings — I don’t even want cereal anymore! Good luck!

Nice informative article you wrote there mate. It is really providing great information to the readers. Running does not require you to sprint your way through. In fact it is considered an exercise that is performed on a slightly faster pace than jogging. To give you an understanding; consider jogging to be a form of brisk walking. Well in that case, it can be said that running is a form of fast jogging. One of the most important things to pay special attention to during the process of losing weight fast through running is maintaining a healthy diet. People always surpass this. Sometimes they don’t eat enough, or sometimes they eat mindlessly to compensate for the lost calories.