My Next Race and the One After That

Since I decided to not attend the conference last minute, that means I can  run the OC Half Marathon after all. I actually signed up for the full, but need to move down to the half since I wasn’t training/thinking I was going to run it. monica running redlands thumb1 My Next Race and the One After That

Well, I’ve been “half marathon ready” since October and have ran a half marathon a month since then (with the exception of a 10 miler in March).

This is good for checking races off my “To Do” list, but not for PR-ing. I will run the OC Half Marathon this weekend and just enjoy it. But, I want to PR in my next half exactly 5 weeks away! So, I’m going to write out a training program for the next 5 weeks and see if I can make it happen.

It’s definitely going to be hard to get faster with only 5 weeks of training. (I am going to do 4 weeks of training and a taper week.) But, I need a new goal and am just going to go for it!

I plan out my training on paper, so I’ll share my workouts as I go along but not in Google Docs. IMG 0121 thumb My Next Race and the One After That

Right now I’m thinking the plan will be:

• 2 hard days of running
  • 2 easy days with my group
  • cross training on the other days

For lunch I had the other half of my Subway Chicken Salad Sandwich. This was my first time trying this kind and I really liked it!IMG 0059 800x600 thumb My Next Race and the One After ThatIMG 0061 600x800 thumb My Next Race and the One After That

This time I threw some baked Cheetos in the mix too. I am always hungrier on days that I’m tired – I am going to try and spread out my snacks to keep it in control.IMG 0120 thumb My Next Race and the One After That

Now I am off to my second day of training for my new job. Then, I’m hitting up the expo!

Comments

1. molly l. says

hi! reader from SD here- i’m running the OC too this weekend! it’s my first full! i’m so excited/nervous!

any restaurant recommendations for some good carbs tmw night in newport beach? thanks!

Oooh, if you’re from SD there’s nothing in Newport a ton better than what you’re used to. I would probably eat at Pizzaland if you’re looking looking for casual carbs :) or Native Foods if you’re looking for healthy.

I am not a huge fan of Subway, but I must admit that the chicken salad looks delicious!!! And cheetos in any form are always delicious.

I’ve found that I’m always ravenous on days that I haven’t had enough sleep the night before. Not good.

Good luck with your training goal! My running goal at the moment is…. to but shoes on and actually attempt to run any distance. So far I am failing miserably. BUT one day I will be marathon ready. ONE day :)

I’m running the OC Half too and am sadly feeling super unmotivated :( I’m seriously getting ready to watch Spirit of a Marathon to try to get pumped. Good luck!

I am probably going to be super slow, not really feeling it for some reason. Are you running solo? I don’t know what the heck is the deal with the shuttles or anything…

Yeah, I am. Did you get an email from the race? They had info about the shuttles- apparently everyone is assigned one and they leave from the finish line in Costa Mesa. I think I’m going to have my sister drop me off at the starting line, though- my friend took the shuttle last year and was almost late!

4. Jane says

Monica, are you a half fanatic? I think you might be if you’ve been doing a half monthly since October… check out halffanatics.com. You’ll never race alone again.