Trader Joes Tuesday–Gnocchi Sorrentina

Gnocchi is one of those things I will never make from scratch. But I love it! I love carbs, I love pasta, I love potatoes, I love gnocchi – you get it.

But I don’t love spending hours in the kitchen making a mess. Luckily TJ’s enables me to be a lazy mofo and still enjoy the foods I love.IMG 4865 800x533 thumb Trader Joes Tuesday–Gnocchi Sorrentina

Okay, this isn’t the best gnocchi in the world – hello, it’s a frozen meal. But it does the trick. The TJ’s gnocchi with the creamy white sauce is better tasting, but I don’t remember how the stats look.

I paired it with green bean fries seasoned with TJ’s 21 seasoning salute. IMG 4858 800x533 thumb Trader Joes Tuesday–Gnocchi Sorrentina

Today I didn’t have a salad for lunch. Isn’t that weird?IMG 4990 800x600 thumb Trader Joes Tuesday–Gnocchi Sorrentina

But, I did need something sweet and made cinnamon sugar toast. That’s how you know it’s still me wlEmoticon smile15 Trader Joes Tuesday–Gnocchi SorrentinaIMG 4992 800x600 thumb Trader Joes Tuesday–Gnocchi Sorrentina

And I ate a ton of fruit and iced coffee.  See? I’m still the same girl wlEmoticon winkingsmile6 Trader Joes Tuesday–Gnocchi SorrentinaIMG 4996 600x800 thumb Trader Joes Tuesday–Gnocchi Sorrentina

After work this afternoon I took a little stroll to Target to check out the free weights. I really want to upgrade my home gym (read: corner of the room where my yoga mat is thrown) but weights are so expensive! Boo. I checked the use sports good store and they don’t have what I like.20120619 174542 thumb Trader Joes Tuesday–Gnocchi Sorrentina

The LAST Reach the Beach Team Off Balance video is up on YouTube. I’m sad to see this series come to an end because I had such a blast and wish I could relive it every week. Seriously when people ask me, “How was the relay?”

I say, “Time.Of.My.Life.”rtb 1 thumb Trader Joes Tuesday–Gnocchi Sorrentinartb banana thumb Trader Joes Tuesday–Gnocchi Sorrentinartb hand off thumb Trader Joes Tuesday–Gnocchi Sorrentina

And I really mean it. I don’t think I could recreate that weekend, those friendships and experiences with another team or other race. rtb finish thumb Trader Joes Tuesday–Gnocchi Sorrentina

I ran hard. I got the world’s biggest blister. I had a complete freak out in the middle of the night. I went to the restroom in 26 porta potties.I wore a banana suit and danced to “Call Me Maybe”. I prayed I wouldn’t poop my pants. I slathered sunblock on top of sweat and stank. I grew super close to girls that I normally don’t see “in real life”. I had the time of my life.

So I want to give one last BIG Thank You to New Balance and the Reach the Beach Relay team. And a HUGE Thank You to my teammates. It was an adventure I’ll never forget.

Comments

I agree, that gnocchi is pretty banging. The Sweet Potato version also is pretty amazing. Go TJ’s and their incredible easy and delicious packaged meals. :)

• Lisa says

I totally second the sweet potato gnocchi suggestion from TJ’s. Amazing! I sometimes serve it as a side dish with grilled chicken.

It’s true, you’ll never be able to recreate that relay experience… BUT if/when you do another, you’ll just create another, similar amazing experience. :) (I love relays, I’m still on a ragnar high!)

PS: Sad fact – I’ve never had gnocchi.

3. Abby says

I love love love trader joes gnocchi. If you haven’t already, you should try their gnocchi al gorgonzola, its like completely in cheese. I think its yummier than the gnocchi in tomato sauce.

Try a sporting goods store. I recently added 10-lb free weights to my collection. They wanted $16 each at Target (for the kind with the rubber coating) but only $7 at the sporting goods store. I was really surprised.

Oops, forgot to mention that homemade gnocchi isn’t really hard at all and it’s 900% better than anything you can buy in a store. I haven’t made it in a while but only because I can’t control myself and would eat it all, but I used to make it regularly. Holler if you want to know how.

Mmm that gnocchi looks good, even though it’s frozen. I still have some sweet potato gnocchi that I made a few weeks ago in the freezer. You should try making it if you like sweet potatoes!

We buy Rising Moon organic gnocchi-delish. We had it post mountain bike race last night. Easy and hit the spot. I would go yard saleing for those weights.

Have you had TJ’s potatoes, mushrooms and green bean mix from the freezer section? I think you should review that product next. It’s soooo freaking tasty!

And when we hanging out. I’m only home for 12 more days.

I am a TJ LOVER! They do have great frozen meals, however I’ve never tried the gnocchi. My favorite TJ’s item was discontinued…PEANUT FLOUR. That was the saddest day of my life. Hmm free weights…I’d check Craigslist. People sell everything on that website these days so I wouldn’t be surprised if you could find a set for super cheap!

It looks like you guys had an amazing time on that relay! I don’t know what its like in the USA but in the UK you can get pretty good free weights from our equivalent of Walmart, like large superstores that also sell other goods. You can also get them in TK Maxx which I think is TJ Maxx there?

I tried to make butternut squash gnocchi for Thanksgiving. Food fail. :( I will stick to store bought, even though they’re not as good as homemade.

I’ve loved following the RTB videos and recaps. You ladies have me totally inspired to try to put together a Ragnar Chicago team for next year!

12. Emily says

I make that TJ’s gnocci a lot and enjoy adding mixed peppers for some veggies (the frozen ones, also from TJ’s). It’s a delicious combo

13. Katie says

Hello! I have had good luck at Play It Again Sports for used gym equipment.. read: hand weights for “15 cents a pound,” you should investigate if there is one in your area!

14. Rachel C says

I loved the RTB videos, I wish they would never end! Do you keep in touch with Monica (driver/momica/new balance)? I would imagine that the friendships that formed that weekend are forever. :) Great job!

15. Angela says

Probably one of my favorite meals in the world is the gorgonzola gnocchi with roasted brussels sprout. Mmmm! SO GOOD! Also—have you checked out a place like Goodwill? Sounds weird but when I went they had a huge (and cheap) selection. Some were new looking too. I got new roller blades for $6…what a steal. :)

That gnocchi is delish…and the stats are not bad at all.

Weights- look for some at TJMaxx, Marshalls or Ross (or some other place like that). I got a good kettlebell at one of those places for like $10, and it was $30 at targ. Just a thought :)

• Angela says

Dang! I was so excited that I hit submit before I finished. I made this for dinner tonight and I must admit that my radar of skepticism was on high alert. But oh my, they were seriously the closest thing to fries (that weren’t actually fries) that I’ve ever had. Yum!