Just The Tip Tuesday–Frozen Spinach

I almost talked myself out of my attempt to do some speed work this morning because I had a bunch of excuses:

haven’t taken a day off from running since Friday

did the tri this weekend

am not good at it

But I took it back a notch from my planned run and did 4 800s instead of miles. Thank you Jesus. I actually did better than expected too! Glad I went for it.

Breakfast was eggs and oats. Super random for me, but I was craving oats (and aspire to be a female body builder).IMG 6495 800x533 thumb Just The Tip Tuesday–Frozen Spinach

Speaking of this weekend’s tri…

Pam sent me an email saying “Congrats on getting 4th in your age group!”

What? I didn’t even know.

So, I checked the results (yes, I didn’t check until she emailed because red hair don’t care). I don’t know why they don’t have my swim time but my 5K time was 25:05. I now have my 5K PR time to beat! Now I have to sign up for another one!image thumb30 Just The Tip Tuesday–Frozen Spinach

Just the Tip Tuesday

IMG 6498 800x533 thumb Just The Tip Tuesday–Frozen Spinach

If you’re trying to be all healthy and whatnot and want to put greens in your smoothies – organic spinach is the way to go. But, it’s expensive and goes bad fast.

So, I use frozen spinach and it works just fine. My usual recipe is ice, 1/2 banana, protein powder, frozen spinach and water (or soy/almond milk)IMG 4337 800x533 thumb Just The Tip Tuesday–Frozen Spinach

It’s great because I don’t need to “use up” all the spinach before it goes bad. And I think this tip makes it thicker. (You cannot taste the spinach.)IMG 4946 800x533 thumb Just The Tip Tuesday–Frozen Spinach

Have a tip share with the group?

pin it button Just The Tip Tuesday–Frozen Spinach

Comments

1. Adrienne says

If my bagged spinach is dying, I stick the whole thing in the freezer–the whole leaves freeze just fine! Plus when Kroger has their 99 cent bags on clearance I grab a bunch and then I have spinach for tons of shakes! (looove saving money too!)

Thanks for that tip! I always buy the large container of spinach for myself and never have a problem with it going bad. But I am leaving for vacation tomorrow and was wondering who I could give my spinach to. Now I know I can just freeze it!!

I put all my smoothie food in the freezer now. I find it to not only last longer but more refreshing for those morning breakfast or afternoon snacks. Frozen bananas add that perfect creaminess.
    -Michelle

Congratulations on your time!! So great. Although kudos on not checking; time wasn’t the goal :)

I’ll have to try frozen spinach, and freezing my spinach leaves! Awesome tips!

4. Cate says

I put together smoothies bags and keep them in the freezer. In the quart sized ziploc goes a banana, some spinach and other frozen fruit. That way, all I have to do is add the milk and protein powder along with the bag of frozen ingredients. It’s much cheaper to put the bags together yourself than to buy them already done.

This is GENIUS! I’m not sure why I never thought of buying frozen spinach instead (because it’s not like I’m eating fresh spinach in anything other than smoothies) but I’m going to. I just had to throw out a huge container of spinach that went bad last week which was so frustrating.

I buy the enormous bag of spinach from Costco and freeze about half for smoothies. I also buy the bananas that are going brown from the discount shelf at the supermarket, cut them up and freeze them. The frozen bananas and spinach serve as the ice. Congratulations on your triathlon and your 5K time!!

Wow- a speed session and fourth in your first tri- you’re on fire!
    I don’t have any original tips except I usually use fresh produce and then when it starts to go I freeze it for smoothies. That way I prevent most waste now!

I must have the wrong blender b/c the last time I tried to use frozen chopped spinach in my smoothie it did not look as smooth as yours, and I could totally taste the spinach. What am I doing wrong here?

I used to do the same thing!! I often forget about the spinach or it starts wilting the day after we go to the store. It got so annoying that I started getting frozen spinach and nuked it in the microwave before adding it to quiches, omelets, etc. I’ve never thought of using it for smoothies too. Thanks for the advice! Especially with a baby on the way frozen over fresh is going to be a necessity (and a money saver).

Thank you for the tip. I never thought about using frozen spinach instead of fresh. I see more green monsters in my future.

11. Leslie says

OMG! I love the idea of putting together the smooothie ingredients in bags. What a time safer this will be. I know I will make green monsters more if I have everything ready to throw in the blender. Thanks for the tip Cate.

way to knock out that speed work – sometimes making adjustments is the best way to do what our bodies really need in terms of working out. I have yet to try spinach in my smoothies, but I suppose I eat enough salad I don’t need to? that’s what I tell myself, anyway ;)

13. Pam says

congrats on 4th in your AG at your tri chica!! that’s awesome! come out to the OC fair 5k this Sunday and beat that PR of yours!! flat, fast & free entry into the fair w/your bib! winning!! :)

you make your spinach smoothies exactly the way I make mine! :) soo good!!

I like the idea that you use frozen spinach for this smoothie. I will remember this.
    Then, do you know that you have to use Vit C along with iron, so that iron absorption is possible? I cut in some orange or Orange juice with mine. But I assume you know this and prefer it without the orange :)

I’ve been finding myself putting spinach into every smoothie I make. Ever since I first tried it and realized that you truly can’t taste the spinach, I didn’t see any reason NOT to add all that green goodness into my smoothies!

I need to buy some fresh spinach and freeze it. I tried to use frozen spinach once, but it made a giant mess when I tried to break off just a piece of it. Especially since the only kind I can ever find is in a box and it’s rock solid. I wonder if I should open up the whole box and let it thaw a bit, break it up and refreeze?

YES! This tip is one of the best tips I have learned. Want to always have fresh greens on hand for smoothies? Frozen spinach = so easy. My Mom was skeptical, but I think I’m winning her over.