Today’s post is all about training for a half marathon, specifically someone’s first half mary.
A reader needed to talk to a half marathon expert for a college project and Ryan Hall didn’t answer her calls so she hit me up for some advice.
(I tried to use my new laptop’s camera for this vlog, um… yeah. It’s not good. I won’t use it again.)
Ask a Monican…
Training for a Half Marathon
1) What training program would you recommend for a somewhat newbie runner like myself? (Running just shy of a year, very casually.)
2) Is my base of 3 miles adequate, or should I start building up now? (I’m planning to start training in, like, late June? For an October race? Maybe? Depending on your answer to #1 up there.)
3) Is cross-training super important? (I’m inherently lazy and have limited time for exercise; when I’m not running, I work a desk job or am in class.)
4) When should I start thinking about integrating fuel into my runs? (I usually just take off a couple hours after breakfast, but I know that probably won’t fly once I start hitting my long runs.)
5) What do you know now that you wish you knew before you started training for your first race? (Sorry; that is a potentially wordy one there. I apologize! If it’s too vague, let me know!)
Seriously, Monica. You are so super sweet for helping me out! I realize your schedule is really busy right now, so knowing that you’re taking time aside to help me out pretty much makes you the awesomest person in the world.
Again: THANK YOU SO MUCH! <3
Half Marathon Training plans mentioned:
Hal Higdon half marathon training
Got a question for this Monican?
Ask in the comments or email me runeatrepeat at gmail dot com
Join the 21 Day Run Camp now!
Do you want to run faster, stronger or longer? Join in!