Watermelon Cupcakes Recipe

Since most of you know I am obsessed with watermelon I have received a ton of emails about the Paleo Watermelon Cake circling the web. I was hoping someone would just make me one and bring it over but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

watermelon cupcakes recipe

So, I had to take it upon myself to make a watermelon cake. Buuuut, I didn’t want to make a whole cake and then have to wait for a special occasion to cut into it.

Plus, I figured I’d eat half the watermelon before I frosted it so I needed a work around.

And Watermelon Cupcakes were born!

watermelon cupcakes recipe

Watermelon Cupcakes

1. Cut the watermelon in half. Cut around the rind to get the fruit outta the shell.

paleo watermelon cupcakes

2. Flip the watermelon flat side down and cut each half into 3 pieces. Cut it down so you have 6 cylindrical chunks (3 from each half).

how to make watermelon cupcakes

3. Eat the parts you cut away. Smile.

4. Pat down watermelon pieces with a paper towel. Use thick greek yogurt to ‘frost’. <- The paleo watermelon cake used coconut frosting. That’s probably better, but I’m not cuckoo for coconut.

5. Carefully hold each piece by the top and bottom and roll in nuts.

how to make watermelon cupcakes

6. Frost top and add fruit of your choice.

how to make watermelon cupcakes recipehow to make watermelon cupcakes

Enjoy!

how to make watermelon cupcakes recipe

Other Watermelon Updates:

1. A reader sent me this pic of a Watermelon Visor she spotted. I need this.

watermelon visor

2. Watermelon Oreos. Yes, they exist. No, I haven’t tried them.watermelon oreos

3. There is a WATERMELON RUN in Long Beach this week!! But, I’ll be in New York that day, so I’m going to miss it. My tiny little black heart is sad about this.

Question: Watermelon Oreos? Yay or Nay?

Disclaimer: This post is part of my deep passionate love for watermelon / sponsored partnership with the Watermelon Board. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Mmm, I’ve been wanting to make a watermelon cake. Making “cupcakes” is a great idea since I won’t have to use the entire melon (and have to eat it all by myself, like that’s a huge problem).

2. Laura B. says

yay to try watermelon oreos once just to try them but I doubt they’re as good as the real thing ( and highly processed)….so really NAY

Frosting on watermelon? I’m a lover of coconut, but I don’t think it’s place in spreadable sugar form belongs on watermelon. Good call on the greek yogurt substitute.

4. Jamie K says

I have to go with “nay” on the watermelon oreos. I love watermelon but not oreos. If, on the once a year-ish occasion, I’m craving an oreo I’m going to go with the classic, dunked in milk!

Watermelon Oreos… I’m kind of intrigued and would try one. I would think it’s like those lemon cookies… but more watermelon flavor. At the same time, I feel like they’ve gone too far, haha.

6. Stephanie says

I had to. I had to try them. The watermelon oreos = YUCKYUCKYUCK! It’s like they wanted to make taffy and they stuck it between two vanilla cookies. REAL WATERMELON OR BUST!

7. Shannon in Tustin says

Watermelon Oreos? Heresy!
    Run from them!

Golden Oreos are definitely worth a try, however! with the vanilla OR chocolate filling.

Apparently I am a loser, I was unaware that a watermelon cake was cool. I looked up the original recipe and think the coconut frosting sounds amazing, on anything. I like your mini version though. Ain’t no one have time to wait for a party to try this recipe.

9. Courtney says

I tried the Watermelon Oreos, I’m a sucker for new flavors of Oreos! They were OKAY. MUCH better than the Sherbet flavor, but still very chemical-y tasting. Kinda tasted like Watermelon bubbalicious gum between 2 cookies.