July Favorites and Traveling to Maine

Happy Thursday! I have a little confession on this fine day – I got Yogurtland ‘just because’ yesterday. I don’t normally go solo, or on a random week day but I really really wanted ice cream after Sunday’s race but never got it. So, I have been thinking about it every since. Craving satisfied!

fro yo on wednesday 450x800 3 thumb July Favorites and Traveling to Maine

It’s August! So here is a quick recap of my favorite Run, Eat and Repeat from July

Favorite RUN

I can’t decide between the Shoreline Half Marathon (which I ran well!) or the Xterra Trail 21k (which rocked me, but I felt really proud of) so I’m posting both.

get ready to run a half marathon thumb July Favorites and Traveling to Maine

Favorite EAT

Pinot Province was AMAZING. It even made me do my ‘dessert dance’.

how i maintain a balanced lifestyle 800x450 thumb July Favorites and Traveling to Maine

And my favorite recipe I made was that Chile Relleno Casserole. Mmmmm.

chile relleno casserole recipe thumb July Favorites and Traveling to Maine

Favorite post I’d like to REPEAT

Reader Race Recaps for July – check out the comments for some great July races!

post race with gillian half marathon xterra 800x450 thumb July Favorites and Traveling to Maine

Winner of the Bodies and Titanic Museum Tickets Giveaway– Joyce!

image thumb July Favorites and Traveling to Maine

Now I am off to Maine for the Beach to Beacon Race this weekend! I am part of the Cabot Fit Team – a group of bloggers and farmers running the race! I am super super excited because I’ve never been to Maine!!! Can’t wait to explore wlEmoticon smile July Favorites and Traveling to Maine

cabot fit team beach to beacon race 800x450 thumb July Favorites and Traveling to Maine

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram to watch my antics!

Question: Have you ever been to Maine?

I am such a west coast girl I know NOTHING about Kim and Kanye’s baby, North East…

Comments

1. Becky says

I’m a long time reader and a lifetime Mainer and I live 20 minutes from the Beach to Beacon! The race is an amazing event! Now I might need to go cheer on my friends and see you!

Have a great time in my great state! You will want to take lots of pics!

2. april says

ahh you totally have me craving froyo at 9 am… :-P

i’ve never been to maine either. have a great trip (and eat tons of lobster)!

3. Desirae says

How long will you be in Maine and where will you be “stationed?” It’s supposed to be a gorgeous weekend here.

Cape Elizabeth is certainly beautiful and there are a number of beaches/State Parks to visit there. Or check out Fort Williams in Cape Elizabeth. (There’s history, a lighthouse, tons of grass to lounge in, and giant rocks to sit and daydream on while looking at the ocean.) If you can get into Portland, explore the Old Port (lots of shops, restaurants, bars). Or, take a ferry (out of the Portland waterfront) to Peaks Island–I think you can run about a 4 mile loop or so around the whole island. (Or walk it. Or eat lunch and/or some ice cream. Or all of the above.)

I live in Scarborough (next town over from Cape) and work in Portland so if you need other ideas for things to do, let me know. Have fun!

My friend is running Beach to Beacon too! I went to Maine back in 2001. (Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, Deer Isle.) If you love blueberries get some. They produce a quarter of the blueberries grown each year in the US. I also ran Ragner New England which was Boston to Cape Cod last year. Our team name was the CodFathers (HAHA) I designed some wicked cool tshirts playing off the artwork of the godfather. Have a great time.

I met Joan Samuelson last year. She is so cool! I hear BTB is a fabulous race.

I’ve been to Maine a million times since I grew up in NE so my recommendations are to a) wear bug repellent and b) get lobster at one of those local seasonal seafood stands.

Have fun!

I traveled to Maine only once for a quick business trip – I didn’t get to see much of anything but I hear it is really nice! Have a great time!

I’ve never been to Maine but I’ve always really wanted to go. It’s supposed to be beautiful up there! Hope you have a wonderful trip and a great race!

Never been to Maine — but love seafood so I should probably get my tail there (I’m way too full of puns lately. It’s probably not cute…)

I’ve never been to Maine…I’m a Chicago girl so Midwest thru and thru. I’ve always said that if I move it’ll definitely be to one of the coasts…just not sure if it’ll be east (DC) or west (LA area). I love the idea of being by the water all the time!

10. Devonshire says

Born and raised in Maine! Still living here! It’s a beautiful state! Glad you’re coming up for a visit! Have fun at the race!!

11. Annemarie/Carmie says

I was as excited to learn that you were running in the B2B with all of us as I was to learn that Deena Kastor, Ryan Hall, and Meb Keflezighi will be! And Joanie, of course! Welcome to Maine! I love living here! Enjoy the race and your visit! Oh and consider visiting the Gelato Fiasco!!! It’s why I run!

12. Kristina says

We don’t have a froyo in Maine but you might want to check out Orange Leaf if your craving some frozen yogurt while you’re up here. It’s make your own and it’s delish! Have fun running the B2B!

OMG. I have gotten froyo before by myself on a week night when I knew M wasn’t going to be home. At first it was awkward to be going into an ice cream place by myself, but it was so nice to eat at home with no judgement – especially after getting a little more toppings than I normally would :)

Maybe I’m a little biased because I go to school/live in Maine, but it is awesome! I was actually just up visiting the “beach” and “beacon” in Beach to Beacon and it is a truly beautiful course…I am so jealous! Enjoy your time in Maine!!

15. Gillian says

My husband is from Freeport (where all the outlets are). Maine is so beautiful, you will have a great time! We are on the road (officially left CA for NY today) and made it to Albuquerque. Next year maybe I can run the race in Maine too. I think Joan Benoit Samuelson started it? She lives there. Anyways, have fun!!!

I’ve been to Maine lots (being from Vermont), but have never run a race there. I got married there…..And I love me some cabot cheese :)
    I’ve heard lots of great things about that race, I have friends running it.