Hello from China and Running or Not

Late Monday night I headed to LAX for my flight to Beijing. The flight is 12.5 hours! It took off at 12:40am and landed around 5:30am. That is a good little transition because I tried to sleep a lot of the flight and then it was morning when I arrived. I probably slept for about 7 hours (tossing and turning the whole time). But that’s great for killing a good chunk of the flight. I was really worried I was going to freak out from boredom. Thank you melatonin.

SAM 0028 800x600 thumb Hello from China and Running or Not

This is a huge plane with 9 seats across and it’s completely full.

SAM 0022 800x600 thumb Hello from China and Running or Not

Since it’s such a long flight and international, they served a meal. I figured because of the timing it would be breakfast, but it was lunch? dinner? All I know is they also offered beer and wine for free. But it was like 6am or something to my body so I passed.

SAM 0020 800x600 thumb Hello from China and Running or Not

I overheard the flight attendant on the other side offering people ‘chicken or beef’ for their meal choices. So, I knew I’d get chicken. But, when the attendant on my side got to me she offered ‘fish or beef’.

I asked “Is there chicken?”.

“No.”

“Okay, fish please.”

And it was chicken. Ha! First language barrier of the trip. I expect there to be a lot of those.

SAM 0015 800x600 thumb Hello from China and Running or Not

Running in China

First when I first planned this trip I figured I’d do a race right before it so this would be a rest week for me. I just ran a marathon on Sunday so I really should be taking off a few days anyway.

I did some research and asked a few blog friends and readers about running in China and there are a few points to consider.

1. The air quality. DC Rainmaker has a post on the air quality index in China. This is something you have to check before going outside for exercise.

2. COLD. It’s cold. Right now it’s in the teens here. That is crazy for this SoCal girl. Like, super crazy.

3. Tour schedule. I am on a trip with a tour group and have to keep to the schedule. We are going to be leaving early for sightseeing most days and I won’t have time.

4. Rest. I usually take off a week or so from running when we go on a vacation like this. If I can run, I do. If I can’t, I don’t. It’s good to let your body rest and recover and I did A LOT of running the end of last year.

So, I’m just going with the flow and will see if it happens or not.

SAM 0071 800x600 thumb Hello from China and Running or Not

Now I’m off to put on all the clothes I packed and explore! See you in a bit!

Comments

I frequently fly from Orlando to Italy to visit family. Not quiet as long as your flight, but I feel your pain. I get bored and antsy so I MUST take something to help me sleep as soon as the meal is served.

I am excited to see all your happenings while in China! Have a blast!

How exciting! I went to Beijing a few years ago and this brings back memories. The jet lag was pretty brutal for me for the first few days. I’d be falling asleep at 7pm and wide awake in bed at 2am! If your hotel has a treadmill that might be your best bet to get in a little running.

3. Nara says

It’s so exciting you’re going to China! I’ve lived in Beijing for the past 5 months, and I do not recommend you to run outside! Even though the pollution situation is quite good on some days, you’ll still just end up with a head ache and a sore throat, at least that is my experience!

What an awesome vacation!!! Enjoy your trip!! Can’t wait to read all about it!!
    Teens eh? haha… with windchill hear in Ohio, It’s felt like -35!! Enjoy the cold! ;)
    I know I don’t have to tell you to take lots of pics! ;)

5. Russ says

Wow what an amazing experience! I sure hope you get a chance to run in China, seeing as it’s kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity and since running is such a big part of your life. Have a blast and keep sharing. Thanks for all the inspiration!

Have a blast! I had a roommate who spent a summer teaching in China and she ran into the food confusion CONSTANTLY. When she asked what was being served for lunch in the cafeteria, people would reply, “It’s beef or fish!” … except there was only one dish being served and fish and beef are nothing alike!

7. Denise says

1. I wouldn’t care what time it was, serve me the booze.

2. Did you ever watch the movie Airplane? Everyone who ordered the fish got sick.

3. Enjoy your trip and obviously take a lot of pics for yourself and all of us who wish we were on the same trip with you.

4. Try a bunch of new foods.

Have fun! It’s nice to be able to take a break from running sometimes and refresh your body and mind.
    On our flight to New York through the night last year we were offered two cooked meals! Again, I just expected something like a croissant and juice!

Have so much fun! I’m not sure about Asia, but when I lived in Spain, my friend and I would run on the streets on the way to a park (on the sidewalk not in the streets haha) and people would look at us like we were INSANE

10. Kim says

We fly from oklahoma to indonesia every summer. Our flight time is 3 hrs to Houston, 11 hrs to Moscow, deplane for 1 hr, 11 to Singapore, then about 4 hrs to Medan. The back to back flights kill us every time!

So awesome you’re in China!! I definitely think you should just rest and enjoy though a sightseeing run could be fun! If time permits of course!

While I love running in new cities to explore, when I went to China last summer I chose not to run outside (and I hate the treadmill, so basically I chose to run very little at all!). Another consideration to add to your list is traffic .. the bikers and cars have very little concept of personal space and you may be putting yourself in danger even if you’re on the sidewalks :). Have a blast!