Healthier Rocky Road Soft Serve Ice Cream

skinny rocky road soft serve thumb Healthier Rocky Road Soft Serve Ice Cream

My 2nd favorite food (after watermelon) is frozen yogurt. I love it for 86 different reasons including: hello, it’s delicious and my mom used to take me to get fro-yo as a treat all the time growing up. It’s like a special happy delicious tradition.

pumpkin pie fro yo thumb Healthier Rocky Road Soft Serve Ice Cream

So, my love for frozen yogurt runs deep. And yes, I prefer fro-yo over ice cream no contest.

But, I can’t get Yogurtland everyday. Mostly because it’s embarrassing that they know me.

Luckily, I’m a crafty mofo and created this delicious and skinny-fied version of soft serve with frozen bananas and a few mix-ins! This way I can have if everyday – right?

frozen banana soft serve with chocolate chips 800x600 thumb Healthier Rocky Road Soft Serve Ice Cream

Skinny Rock Road Banana Soft Serve

1. Get a few ripe bananas. Peel them and place them in baggies. Freeze overnight or longer (they last for weeks).

freezing bananas for smoothies 600x800 thumb Healthier Rocky Road Soft Serve Ice Cream frozen banana for ice cream 800x600 thumb Healthier Rocky Road Soft Serve Ice Cream

2. Place frozen bananas in a blender or food processor. Blend. Scrape down sides of blender. Blend. Repeat 5 times until your neighbors think you’re having a margarita party without them.

banana soft serve ice cream 600x800 thumb Healthier Rocky Road Soft Serve Ice Cream

It’s important to blend thoroughly and NOT add liquid. If you let it whirl it will turn into the consistency of fro-yo.

banana soft serve 600x800 thumb Healthier Rocky Road Soft Serve Ice Cream

3. Add walnuts and pieces of a chocolate bar to blender. Blend. Add handful of marshmallows.

I used regular ol’ walnuts and 85% dark chocolate – so it has less sugar than milk chocolate and more anti-oxidants! Walnuts have healthy fats and omegas too. See? Totally healthy.

healthy ice cream dessert option 600x800 thumb Healthier Rocky Road Soft Serve Ice Cream

4. Top with more goodness. Enjoy!

frozen banana rocky road 800x600 thumb Healthier Rocky Road Soft Serve Ice Cream

Question: What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?

I like mint chip and cookie dough and chocolate chip and anything with chocolate chips, but not necessarily a chocolate base.

Comments

For true ice cream, I love a good chocolate chip or chocolate chip cookie dough…I am really more about toppings like hot fudge, chocolate waffle bowls and whipped cream. I could probably eat a bowl of toppings and skip the ice cream lol.

This is awesome!!! I am a vanilla chip ice cream aficionado. But the ratio has to be right. Edys grand has been too skimpy on the chips. But I went to Haagen das after my marathon on Sunday and theirs was superb :). I don’t like a chocolate base either. Prefer it to be in the form of chips or chocolate covered items mixed into vanilla or sweet cream or even coffee flavor. :)

I’m drooling just looking at that, time to bring back banana soft serve! My favorite ice-cream is anything that has lots of fun bits and pieces in it, preferably chocolate related.

4. nicole t says

i’ve tried making the banana ice cream before but my blender about blows up before it actually gets smooth.. not sure what is going wrong (aside from the lack of liquid in the container).

Yum! Will have to try. I like anything with chocolate chips in but weirdly not a fan of chocolate ice cream. I also have a soft spot for fruity sorbets – like lemon or mango. Perfect in the summer.

Frozen bananas are the best. Mixed with toppings and eaten like ice cream…amazing! I like the Kroger brand raspberry/dark chocolate ice cream. It’s cheaper than the name brands and it tastes better. I have to save ice cream for treats on the weekends or as part of a pre-race meal or I’d eat it every day.

I seriously need to make this. I’ve seen it all over the internets. ;-) Must try. I always freeze my bananas with the peel on (for banana bread), so I definitely need to try taking it off before I freeze. Silly, but I’ve never even thought of it!

8. Claudia says

I always add greek yoghurt to my banana ice…makes it more creamy. You can also use frozen strawberries, mixed berries, pineapple….never tested but maybe also watermelon! ;-)
    Greetings from Austria