French Toast Waffles Recipe–Whole Grain, High Protein Breakfast

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Yesterday after the OC Marathon I chilled out and had some fun. And of course…

oc marathon post race results watermelon 600x800 thumb French Toast Waffles Recipe–Whole Grain, High Protein Breakfast

My mom puts tajin on her watermelon, but I am a purest.

tajin on watermelon 600x800 thumb French Toast Waffles Recipe–Whole Grain, High Protein Breakfast

On to today…

The day after a race or long run is always a HUNGRY day for me. Does that happen to anyone else?

i love food thumb French Toast Waffles Recipe–Whole Grain, High Protein Breakfast im hungry mother thumb French Toast Waffles Recipe–Whole Grain, High Protein Breakfast i want a donut thumb French Toast Waffles Recipe–Whole Grain, High Protein Breakfast

Unfortunately, I didn’t have a donut. I woke up and had a green smoothie right away.

green smoothie with vegan protein powder thumb French Toast Waffles Recipe–Whole Grain, High Protein Breakfast

Today’s a rest day so I started the day with a walk. My right knee is a little sore from the race, but outside of that I feel good.

Now I have to share the most awesome breakfast I had on Saturday!

french toast waffles recipe easy high protein whole grain  thumb French Toast Waffles Recipe–Whole Grain, High Protein Breakfast

This weekend I thought up this recipe while running and thought I was some kinda food genius. I’m sure I’m not the first person to think of this, but I haven’t seen it on any of the blogs I read so I was SO EXCITED to try it out.

I love waffles, but don’t usually make them because they’re more work than pancakes. Well, these French Toast Waffles are less work than pancakes!

french toast waffles recipe 800x600 thumb French Toast Waffles Recipe–Whole Grain, High Protein Breakfast

French Toast Waffles Recipe

{Serves one. Can be make gluten free*.}

• 2 pieces of whole grain bread (*or gluten free bread)
  • 2 eggs
  • dash: milk, vanilla, salt, cinnamon

Directions: Heat waffle maker. Mix eggs and milk, vanilla, salt, cinnamon. Dip bread in egg mix – both sides. Place bread in waffle maker (with non-stick spray). Cook through.

french waffle recipe how to 800x600 thumb French Toast Waffles Recipe–Whole Grain, High Protein Breakfast making french toast waffle maker 800x600 thumb French Toast Waffles Recipe–Whole Grain, High Protein Breakfast

I topped mine with bananas and maple syrup. It was the best.

french waffle recipe with bananas and egg whites 800x600 thumb French Toast Waffles Recipe–Whole Grain, High Protein Breakfast

Enjoy!!!

protien french toast waffles 800x600 thumb1 French Toast Waffles Recipe–Whole Grain, High Protein Breakfast

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Don’t forget to kiss someone with a sombrero today!

image thumb8 French Toast Waffles Recipe–Whole Grain, High Protein Breakfast i didnt text you margarita did thumb French Toast Waffles Recipe–Whole Grain, High Protein Breakfast

Question: Do you own a waffle maker?

Comments

1. LizzieRun says

I don’t own a waffle maker but, I want one now! Lol question for you! I noticed you use coconut oil spray (I only use coconut oil to cook anything) I didn’t realize there was such a beast… Where can I find it?!

Those look delicious! And ridiculously easy. I do own a waffle maker…I won it from somewhere a while ago.
    Also, I quote Rolly from 101 Dalmations all the time! His spiel is basically my motto.

I do have a belgian waffle maker and I’m ashamed to say I have never used it….it sits on the shelf with a wine chiller, a bread maker, a panina grill and a sandwich press, all of which have never been used…well, except the wine chiller, that’s a standard round here! ;)

Agreed. A waffle maker that let’s you just pull off the waffle tile parts (I don’t know how to talk clearly) and dishwasher them is my dream wafflemaker.

4. Shannon in Tustin says

Man, I LOVE that idea! I do have a waffle maker. It’s pretty small and is able to be stored on-end like a book so it’s pretty space efficient. I love it!

5. Kathryn Ann says

These waffles look amazing! I can’t wait to try them. As for post-race munchies, I too am a victim. In fact, I recently ran my first marathon and I woke up in the middle of the night with my tummy growling :( I don’t limit my calories after big runs like that either. I love food so much, but if there was a way to avoid post-run hunger I would definitely get in line!

This is genius beyond genius. Like Nobel prize worthy genius!!!
    So I don’t own a waffle maker but am obsessed with waffles. My sister in law is the willam Sonoma queen and whips out her Cadillac waffle maker to make me batches of a dozen waffles and freezes them for me. They toast up perfectly in the toaster oven. I’m a lucky girl :)

I made these for dinner tonight- Holy Yum! I used costco gluten-free bread and topped them with low-sugar homemade strawberry jam. Delish!

i dont run races, but i am always hungry. i think it’s the baby’s fault…

i haven’t made FT this way, but when i saw your post title i thought it was gonna be something i have done.. french toasted waffles. basically take left over waffles and dip them in FT batter and then cook them in a pan. granted, your way is a zillion times easier, but the other kind are good, too.

love you.