How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip

The other day I posted “My Easy 4 Ingredient Dinner” and suggested you use low sugar spaghetti sauce in it.

super easy week night dinner 800x600 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip

A few people asked me what sauce I recommend and how do I find low sugar / healthy sauce. So I went on a mission to find the BEST healthy spaghetti sauce options.

find the best spaghetti sauce 800x600 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip

Note: I’ve heard that making your own marinara sauce is ‘easy’. But, I try to write for busy peeps who want to be healthy. I always question, “Would Cindy make this?” – Cindy is my best friend who has kids and jobs and carpools and big hair and dog poop to pick up.

monica and cindy with coffee thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip

And if I told her to make her own spaghetti sauce she’d tell me to shut my wheatgrass drinking trap. So yeah, hope this helps.

drink green shit thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip

best spaghetti sauce for your diet 728x800 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip

The Best Spaghetti Sauce – how to find low sugar sauce

1. Check out the ingredients.

In general it’s good to avoid buying foods with:

• A LOT of ingredients
  • “Sugar” as one of the first 4 ingredients
  • things listed you don’t recognize
spaghetti sauce ingredients 800x600 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip sauce 600x800 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip

2. Check grams of sugar. Aim to buy sauce with 7g per serving or less. Note: Even without added sugar tomatoes and other ingredients have a little bit of sugar so the grams will not be 0.

classico sauce 600x800 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tipclassico ingredients 600x800 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip

3. Overall Nutrition info: Check the calories, fat, saturated fat, fiber and sodium.

tomato sauce 600x800 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip

marinara 800x600 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip sauce ingredients 600x800 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip tomato sauce low sugar blog post 600x800 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip low sugar sauce prego 800x600 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tiphealthy tomato sauce picks 600x800 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip

bertolli how sugar sauce 600x800 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip bertolli best marinara sauce 600x800 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip

Tip: Just because something says “Heart Smart” or “Low Fat!” or “Whole Grain!!” doesn’t mean it’s healthy or has the best ingredients. Make sure to read the labels, not just the attention grabbing words on the front.

prego heart smart sauce 800x600 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tipprego heart smart sauce with nutrition 600x800 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip

My pick: I usually end up buying whatever has low sugar per the above tips and is on sale. Boom.

classico tomato sauce 800x600 thumb How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip locally grown tomatoes How To Find a Low Sugar Spaghetti Sauce–Weight Loss Tip

Question: Are you loyal to certain brands or change it up a lot?

Comments

Not sure if it’s low sugar, but Trader Joe’s Vodka Marinara (not the exact name) sauce is a pretty healthy alternative for a marinara sauce.

I am pretty loyal to Vincent’s sauce which is a local New York restaurant that sells their sauce in area grocery stores…But, I do also like Trader Joe’s Organic Spaghetti Sauce all of a sudden…Sometimes just a can of tomato paste, low sodium stewed tomatoes and some spices is enough to make a quick sauce without added sugar.

I usually just get a can of organic tomato sauce and put my own veggies in it. If I’m suuuuuper lazy, I go for our store brand (HEB) spinach and cheese sauce. I dunno if it’s healthy but it’s tasty!

I totally agree with Cindy – there’s no way I’m making my own sauce. My kids are lucky they get dinner…just kidding :)
    I usually buy Newman’s Own sauce but I haven’t looked at the sugar in it. Now I’ll have to check it out!

Thanks for this post! It’s hard to find things that have little added sugar nowadays, and I think many people (including myself) forget to check the labels on simple things such as pasta sauce. Great post!

I’m definitely not loyal to one brand. I switch it up depending on who is offering the healthiest product.

In my fridge right now: Whole Foods 365 brand Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce. 45 calories, 2 grams of sugar. Take that Ragu!

7. Hannah says

I try to buy marinara without any sugar in the ingredients bc they add sugar to cover up the taste of low quality tomatoes and oils. To me it’s worth a little extra cost!

8. Jayme says

I only ever buy hunts because for $.99 a can you can’t beat it (price wise). But I always add ground beef to it, that’s what happens when you buy a half cow and need to get rid of half a freezer full of ground beef.

9. Tara says

I just bought a jar last night for a quick last minute dinner. Ended up with Giada’s Garlic sauce.

low cal, low sugar, but not great. Fed me though!

10. cel says

oooooor just buy a jar of crushed tomatoes and add your own italian herbs/onion etc…DONE! no oil, salt, preservatives, sugar or fat

11. Shannon in Tustin says

We love Kirkland Marinara. It’s very tasty, no added sugar and easy on the wallet. We are a family of four (includes two teenagers!). It’s a little high in sodium, but to stretch it I always add one 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes.

If I happen to need some in a pinch and run to the grocery store, I check out what’s on sale with lowest sugar/sodium. Not horribly brand loyal, but certain brands I won’t even consider. Is that reverse-brand-loyal? ;)

12. Suzanne says

We have a decent store brand tomato basil sauce that I buy, although I usually make my sauce using a 28 oz. can of low sodium crushed tomatoes and an 8 oz. can of tomato paste. Then I have fun adding to it…veggies, spices, EVOO, even wine :)

13. Hannah says

Making your own sauce really isn’t that hard. A can of tomatoes, a can of tomato paste or tomato puree, some garlic (you can get the pre-minced stuff), an onion, dried oregano, salt, pepper, and about a teaspoon of sugar (it helps cut the acid and makes it taste better, and a teaspoon really isn’t that much). Let it simmer for half an hour, and it’s done. You can even get tomatoes that already have garlic, onion, and herbs in it. I personally don’t like jar sauce, so I do this instead.

Thanks for this. It’s a great reminder of the importance of reading labels. I usually buy whatever is on sale but like Barilla, Bertoli and Classico brands. I’m going to checkout the Kirkland sauce next time I’m at Costo!!

I’m having a spaghetti this weekend and good thing I found your post reminding that food labels are important. I’m an advocate of a healthy and fit lifestyle, so yes, being a vigilant on what you buy in the grocery is a way to a healthier and longer life.