Easy Steel Cut Overnight Oats in Yogurt

steel cut overnight oats easy recipe 600x800 thumb Easy Steel Cut Overnight Oats in Yogurt

I have a delicious and easy recipe for overnight STEEL CUT oats to share today!

A few weeks ago when I found the new Watermelon Chobani I also grabbed their new Chobani Greek Yogurt with oats. I was pretty excited about this since I love the nutty taste and chewy texture of steel cut oats. And the yogurt was good, but I wanted more oats. So, I decided to figure out how to make overnight oats with steel cut.

chobani steel cut overnight oats recipe 600x800 thumb Easy Steel Cut Overnight Oats in Yogurt

If you’re not familiar – steel cut oats take a long time to cook – usually an hour.  I don’t have the time for that so I rarely make them (usually only overnight in the crockpot!).

But the Chobani yogurt with oats got me craving some delcious overnight oats and after a few tries I figured it out.

steel cut overnight oats recipe 2 600x800 thumb Easy Steel Cut Overnight Oats in Yogurt

Steel Cut Overnight Oats

• 1/4 cup steel cut oats
  • 1/2 cup water
  • dash salt
  • 1 6oz. container yogurt – flavor of your choice
  • toppings: sweetener, fruit, nuts, nutter butter…

1: Combine oats, water and salt. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave for another 30 seconds stir and another 30 seconds, stir. (That is broken up in 30 seconds so it won’t explode – keep an eye on it.)

2: Let oats sit and cool for about 20 minutes. They will continue to absorb the water and soften. But, they’re not soft enough to eat (unless you like it crunchy).

how to make steel cut overnight oats 600x800 thumb Easy Steel Cut Overnight Oats in Yogurt

3. Combine oats with yogurt. Cover and refrigerate overnight/8 hours.

4. Top with your favorites and enjoy! I added some extra sweetener, berries and nut butter.

steel cut overnight oats recipe 800x600 thumb Easy Steel Cut Overnight Oats in Yogurt

Question: Do you prefer regular oats or steel cut or oatmeal cookies?

Comments

1. Charlotte says

I know the steel cut oats is supposed to be better for you, but it takes so long to cook. Ain’t nobody got time fo dat!
    This recipe looks like a good breakfast option.

Ahhh awesome! I’ve been meal prepping on Sundays and making big batches of steel cut oats, but yes – it always takes me like 30+ minutes and I constantly have to keep an eye on it.

This is a great alternative. THANKS!

My favorite breakfast (and sometimes lunch) is my version of overnight oats since I make it with cooked steel-cut oats which I then add to greek yogurt. OMG it’s so good and even worth cooking. Sometimes I just cook them to a boil, cover and let it sit overnight. That usually softens them all nice and if you add extra water, the oats absorb it and give you more volume. Then I add the yogurt and fruit and peanut butter. The best. And, so much better than the Chobani Oats although my son likes the new varieties.

4. Denise says

I love this also…don’t use greek yogert use almond milk then add teaspoon of chia and let sit over night throw a teaspoon of flax and berries and Im not hungry for hours. Love it!

5. Nicole says

LOVE LOVE LOVE steel cut oats! I make 4 portions at once (only takes me about 25 min) then reheat the leftovers as needed and top with berries & PB. <3

This is brilliant! I love overnight oats, but prefer the texture of steel cut oats. Think I could make this with almond milk instead of yogurt? I don’t have yogurt right now.

7. Michele says

Interesting idea!! I make overnight oats like this…also, I love a large amount, so you could easily cut in half…lol!! 1/2c oats, 1/2c milk of choice, 1/2c greek yogurt of choice (I like light vanilla), 1 TBSP chia seeds…mix together and let hang out in the refrigerator. I do let it sit overnight, but it will be fine in as little as 4 hours and keep up to a couple days. Then top with fruit or nuts! YUM!

8. april says

this looks delicious! i’ve been on the biggest overnight oats kick lately, except i make my version with almond milk instead of yogurt (i love greek yogurt, but i prefer almond milk in my oats for some reason). i also add blueberries, chia seeds, and cashews in the morning. :)

I never eat steel cut oats and always go with organic rolled oats for my overnight oats, because it just seems easier. The nutritional content of the two is fairly similar, so I don’t think I’m missing out. This looks like an easy way to enjoy steel cut. Thanks for sharing!

Steel cut oats all the way! I’ve seriously been meaning to make more overnight oats, so thanks for the recipe! I’ve never tried cooking the oats before chilling them, so I’m looking forward to trying your method to see how they turn out. I love adding in a little nutmeg and cinnamon in mine for a nice little extra flavor and nutrients!

My Aunt used to get up on Monday mornings in time to make us eat a big bowl of steel cut oats. I don’t know how or why she found the time for that.

I’ve never used steel cut oats with yogurt, but now I am curious. Though my favorite would have to be oatmeal cookies :)

I have yet to try the overnight oats thing. Do you heat it up in the morning? Eating it cold sounds pretty gross. I like both steel cut and rolled oats. I recently bought quick cook steel oats and they are really good and cook up in less time.

I take regular oats over steel cut ones coz I don’t have the patience or time to cook them. I prefer overnight oats coz it’s cold, especially after a hot sweaty run.

14. mc says

I love steel cut oats! I have made them in the slow cooker overnight: 1 cup oats 4 cups water and then more in the morning to thin them out a bit. I just put your recipe in the fridge, can’t wait for morning :)