Hi!! Run Camp is almost over!! By now we’ve hit most of the basics on getting on track to run faster, better and stronger. Go back over the previous posts if you have any questions or want a review. It only works if YOU do!
This final day covering running gear is about the extras. These are things you don’t necessarily need to run, but they make running a lot easier if you have them to help!
The items on this list are most helpful for longer distance runners like those of you training for a half or full marathon. But if you are having issues with hydration, fuel, tracking your time / distance or just want to make it a more pleasant running experience – check it out and stock up on things you need. These items can be pricey, but remember this is an investment in a hobby that keeps you healthy and happy!
Running Gear for Marathon and Half Marathon Training
These are all the ‘extras’ that aren’t 1000% necessary to run a half marathon or full marathon – but they make it a lot easier.
1. Fuel belt or hand held water bottle.
2. GPS watch. There are tons of running watches with GPS capabilities out on the market.
3. Body Glide or Vaseline.
5. Compression socks. I wear Pro Compression socks for long runs or for recovery after a long run.
7. Chews or gels for mid-run fuel. Buy these one at a time from a local running store at first so you can try out different flavors and brands to see what you prefer. Then, you can buy them by the box to save money.
9. A lot of food. Buy extra. Suggestions include, but are not limited to: ice cream, chocolate chip cookies, popcorn, pickles, tuna sub, pizza, churros, chocolate Chex cereal, Pad Thai, french fries, tortillas, sharp cheddar cheese, Snickers ice cream bars…