The first marathon I finished feeling strong & fast happened because I saw a friend as I passed the start line.
He lives far away and we chatted for a bit. He was a marathon streaker and had to run slow to avoid injuries and be able to run A LOT of races.
He was really disciplined about his pace and I held back to chat.
After a few miles I said bye to run my own race. I picked up the pace and ended up feeling better than usual towards the end.
I was able to push myself in the last miles and hit negative splits (which rarely happened before)!
I knew you should never ‘bank time’ by going out fast but I couldn’t stop myself!
Pacing myself slower than I would’ve usually –> resulted in a FASTER race than my usual strategy.
If you’re new to running or racing- start slower than you think you should.
Tips for Pacing Yourself:
- If you feel good at the halfway point –> Speed Up!
- If you feel good in the last 3rd –> Speed Up more!
- If you feel great with a couple miles to go –> GO FOR IT! See what you’re made of!!
and Follow @RunEatRepeat on Instagram for daily tips and updates!
Question: How are you at pacing yourself running?
Keep Going with these:
- Fruity Fun Freakshake Recipe
- How to Recover from your Run
- Running Log and Meal Planner printable
- Runner Strength Workout – A