Pan Dulce Sunday

I don’t know if it’s because I’m back home or what, but I have been craving nothing but good Mexican food this week. Luckily, I came to the right place as home is full of amazing hole-in-the-wall restaurants and bakeries offering the best Mexican food!

Today I woke up early and walked to a local panaderia (bakery) for Pan Dulce!IMG 0064 thumb Pan Dulce Sunday

They have so many options it’s always hard to choose, and they’re all delicious -  so I just randomly picked some goodies.

There is always a pig cookie made out of gingerbread. This is one time I’ll eat pork icon wink Pan Dulce Sunday IMG 0065 thumb Pan Dulce Sunday

I ate this horn – and started munching before the picture, sorry. IMG 0067 thumb Pan Dulce Sunday

The thing with pan dulce is, it gets stale fast if you don’t keep it in a tightly sealed container. This sweets display isn’t exactly super airtight, but I love having it on the counter (even if it’s super tempting to walk by all day). IMG 0063 thumb Pan Dulce Sunday

I had some eggs and a piece of leftover pancake to go with my pan dulce. IMG 0069 thumb Pan Dulce Sunday

Ben and I spent the day car shopping. We have to get a car to take us on road trips since my car has 120K miles on it and wouldn’t want to chance it. We’re thinking something cheap and used, but dependable and good on gas – just like my Echo icon smile Pan Dulce Sunday

While we were out we spotted Herbie, the Love Bug. It’s super cute, but not in the running. IMG 0070 thumb Pan Dulce Sunday

Around 2pm we were both super HUNGRY and bailed out of the Nissan dealer quick style. We basically stopped in the first strip mall we spotted and ended up at an Indian Buffet place. I got a little bit of everything vegetarian. I love that there are so many veggie options at Indian places!IMG 0071 thumb Pan Dulce Sunday

The rest of the day included fruit salad, potato salad and a BBQ with the family. Fun and food was had by all icon smile Pan Dulce Sunday

Now I’m off to relax with Ben for a little bit before I have to hit the sack.

See ya tomorrow!

Question: What food do you have to have when you go home (or an old stomping ground)?

pin it button Pan Dulce Sunday

Comments

Pan dulce looks delicious, I’ve never tried it! As does the Indian buffet – quite a few Indian restaurants around here are completely vegetarian, I love it. When I go back to my uni campus, I love getting Pita Pit, since it’s the only location I know of in the city!

Love this! Pan dulce is always around at home. My dad’s office is in the same strip mall as a Guatemalan bakery, very convenient :)

Too bad Herbie’s not on your list of potential rides. He’d be a good conversation starter…

3. Dynamics says

I do not have a favorite but my kids love Chicken Chalupas. There is a lot of preparation but the smiles on their faces makes it all worthwhile. Of note: My youngest is now a vegetarian and still wants her chicken chalupas minus the chicken. It’s all about the sauce.

That looks so yummy! I am so bad when I go home with food! I have to have malacada (portuguese pastry), fried clams…it’s not pretty!

I would recommend getting a Prius…I am on my second one and I love the car so much. Great on gas and they have some great deals going on.

Those pastries look delicious. I totally would have devoured the piggie cookie.

I’m home now, but when I was in college, I always missed our local convenient store coffee.. weird I know. Also, we have a local deli that I “lived” at in college so I always missed their breakfast foods!

7. Jen says

My Intuitive Eating sucks when I go home because, for now at least, the trip from Chicago to South Texas always goes too fast and I have the mentality of “I need to eat all of this food on my plate because it’s going to be a long time before I can have it again.” We go home this weekend, let’s see if I can win my internal battle. It’s not like I’m not going to be home 10 times in the next three months (getting married down there).

Anyhoo, in no particular order, bean and cheese tacos, enchiladas, chalupas, better and fresher avocados (same goes for Cali when we visit, I eat 20 avocados), burgers and fries at Chris Madrid’s, queso, homecooked anything at my Dad’s, ok. I’m going to stop now. Oh and for the fiance, they have Chick Fil-A down there so we always make a stop. He’s such a good natural I.E’er that he’s toned it down from 20 nuggets to 12 on each visit. I need to take a lesson and try only 2 instead of 3 tacos :)

Good luck in the car search!

When I go home – or close to home – I want good Italian food. Pizza in particular. I also love to eat at diners – I grew up in New Jersey – diner capital of the country.

When we lived in Belize, the one thing I missed the most was the Whole Foods salad bar and hot food bar. When we came back to Dallas, I went to Whole Foods almost everyday! :)

10. Christina says

Pan is awesome. I love those little pigs! And there is another one I love, but I don’t know the name of. It’s in a ball shape, kind of cake-y. It’s like a ball that was cut in half, they put jelly in between the two halves and a raisin. Then they put it back into a ball shape and roll it in some kind of sweet cream (kind of like frosting, but not as sugary) and sugar. It is SO good. I wish I knew the name of it, do you have any idea?

I have never lived away from home. I moved out of my parents house and in with my now-husband. All within the same city! Although I did just get back from vacation and was craving oatmeal. I wasn’t able to eat it while I was away and I craved its warming comfort!

I still live at home so I have the luxury of having access to all my favourite foods. ;) Imaging I move away some time in the next couple of years, I would totally be craving the awesome fresh fruit I can get living where I do. :)

Have to say, I’m loving your California posts and following the settling in process. You sound very content right now. :)