More Mango

I didn’t take a picture of last night’s dinner (Ben’s leftover diner sandwich and zucchini fries), but I did capture the best snack ever. This is a bowl of Mango Chobani with fresh cut mango, granola and candied pecans. I don’t know how I’m ever going to go back to eating plain ol’ snacks after this winner!

IMG 9093 thumb More Mango

Apparently, Vegas had a rough night because he was hitting the coffee pretty hard this morning…

IMG 9102 thumb More MangoIMG 9107 thumb More Mango

Actually, it was milk. But, I can understand the feeling.

IMG 9108 thumb More Mango

No Pancakes this Sunday because I had them yesterday. Instead, I had my favorite egg sandwich and PB&J combo for breakfast. Then, Ben and I took a walk to the store for a Sunday paper.

IMG 9113 thumb More Mango

According to my BodyBugg I burned over 3800 calories yesterday! My biggest curiosity in getting the BB was my calories burned on long run days. No wonder I wake up the next day starving!

image thumb9 More Mango

My original theory was that my body was so used to running I didn’t burn that much in training any more. Well, now that I know the numbers I can fuel accordingly for my goals (it’s still too easy for me eat upwards of 3k if I’m not paying attention). Good deal.

See you later!

Comments

I’m so glad you admit that it’s easy to eat upwards of 3K calories on a long run day. People look at me like I’m crazy when I say that I gained weight when training for my first marathon. But I admit it really is easy to eat that much especially when you feel like you deserve it b/c of a long run.

2. Ella says

That snack looks so good, I need to start venturing out and trying new Chobanni flavors.

Thats an insane amount of calories to burn, I want to try a bodybugg! Some days I easily eat close to 3000 calories and I’m not even marathon training, I’m just a college student with a fast metabolism. I can’t even imagine the hunger that would come with that much exercise!

I don’t.
      Well, I don’t know for sure. But it claims to be over 90% accurate, so even if it is 10% wrong that would only be 300-400 calories off depending on the day.
      I did think it was wrong at first – it seems very high. But, I have to take it for what it’s giving me since many people I think of as valid sources agree with it. so

Thanks Monica, I just always wonder about those estimates. I had a polar heart rate monitor for awhile but found it to be very frustrating. It did not measure my calories but it always told me that I was on the verge of having a heart attack but I always felt entirely fine and when I measured my own pulse it didn’t feel nearly as fast as the HRM said.

I am always so skeptical about calories burned from websites or gps, etc. I have had my BMR tested and done a VO2Max test to determine how many calories I burn per HR zone and generally websites/gps other sorts of tracking over estimate compared to those professionally done tests. I am a high mileage runner and my BMR is 1700 calories per day, which means the recommended range for me to eat per day is 2100-2300 before my workouts. Since I have been running for a while, my body has adapted (as you said you thought you had) to burn less per mile than the standard 100 calories per mile. On an average 20 mile day, I probably burn around 4,000 calories but definitely don’t take in that much. I try to eat to manage hunger which I think definitely outpaces calories burned for most people.

I think my main point (sorry I have post-long run rambling brain) is that I think knowing how many calories your burn (or allegedly burned) often encourages us to eat more or over eat. I think it is way more common for people to over-estimate how much they burn and under-estimate how much they take it. Marathon training is not an easy thing for most to navigate when it comes to diet. It seems like you are on top of all the pitfalls thats for sure.

holy cow! You sure do burn a lot of calories!! like a lot, a lot!! :) The egg and pbj combo sounds really good…you don’t squish them together though do you!?

I think if you kept running, had a baby, and nursed that baby and started running again, you might blow up the body bugg with your calories burned! :)

Whoa, that’s a lot of calories! I would like to get one of those but since I’m a binge eater, I would totally use it to justify eating massive amounts of food, which is exactly what I did when I was training for a marathon and how I gained 25 pounds in three months…

Maybe after I practice some more self control :)

That snack does look awesome! I’m loving so many Chobani flavors right now. Although I must admit, I eat a 0% plain every day with maple syrup- so much protein- can’t beat it ;). Yummy bfast too.

I have a heart rate monitor that tells me how many calories I have burned. I had to put in my height and weight, but thats it. I try to use that to refuel after long workouts, but am curious how accurate it actually is…do you trust those garmins and other devices?

I don’t use the heart rate monitor with my Garmin because I wore it once and it bugged me the whole time and started to give me a rash :(

I do know that wearing a HRM is more accurate than a random calorie output from a cardio machine at the gym. So, I would trust it. I do def trust my Bodybugg since it has my age, height, weight and I wear it while exercising.

Hope that helps :)

That mango yogurt dish looks amazing. So does the open faced egg sandwich. I’m making scrambled eggs right now, maybe I’ll slap it on a piece of toast now!