RunDisney–Make an Ariel Running Costume

Hello and Happy Tuesday!

This morning it was 29 degrees and I contemplated hanging up my running shoes, packing my stuff and moving to Costa Ricajaco in costa rica thumb RunDisney–Make an Ariel Running Costume

But, then I realized that I would miss YLand so I decided to stick to my plan and just retire there someday. The end.

I told myself to suck it up and do my speed work as planned. I wear my Brooks Pure Connects for speed sessions…IMG 0519 800x600 thumb RunDisney–Make an Ariel Running Costume

They have little pods on the forefoot to help encourage proper foot strike. These are Brooks’ lightest pair in the Pure line and I think they’re best for someone who already has pretty good form and doesn’t need support in their running shoe.  IMG 0527 600x800 thumb RunDisney–Make an Ariel Running CostumeIMG 0525 800x600 thumb RunDisney–Make an Ariel Running Costume

The speed session was great! It was the fastest repeats I’ve done a long time. I don’t set my Garmin to read 800s – I stop it in the middle of one mile. So, all I know is 2 of the 800s averaged 7:05 and another one was 6:58.IMG 0520 800x600 thumb RunDisney–Make an Ariel Running Costume

Then, warmed up with coffee and made love to my sunflower seed butter. I have been extra hungry lately! What’s up with that?!

How to Make a Running Ariel Costumerunning scared thumb RunDisney–Make an Ariel Running Costume

Last weekend was the Disney World Marathon and this weekend coming up is the Tinkerbelle Half Marathon at Disneyland! I ran Tink last year as Ariel and thought I’d share my super easy costume…

Ariel Costume Supplies:

• Skin colored t-shirt
  • purple felt or foam for the shell bra
  • green skirt you can run in
  • Glitter
  • Hot Glue or Needle and Thread to attach shell bra to tee

1. I scored the skin colored tee from Marshall’s for super cheap and found a swim cover up for the green skirt. It was PERFECT for running because it was light weight.IMG 5046 800x600 thumb RunDisney–Make an Ariel Running Costume

2. Cut two shells for the bra out of the felt/foam. I bought both and ended up using the foam. I think the foam gives it more shape like a real shell.

Decorate shells with glitter glue. Note: You can never have too much glitter. I’m a fan.

Just the tip Tuesday: Try not to get it in your hair… TWSSIMG 5335 800x600 thumb RunDisney–Make an Ariel Running Costume

3. Attach shell bra to your skin colored tee with hot glue (or sew it if you’re using felt). I was worried the hot glue wouldn’t keep the foam shells on and I would end up ‘nips out’ at mile 8, but it worked great! IMG 5333 600x800 thumb RunDisney–Make an Ariel Running Costume

4. Optional: Wear a red wig or be born a redheaded Mexican. Ariel wears her hair down, but that would have been a disaster. I did a side braid and wore pearl earrings. People knew who I was right away so I think it was a good call.after tinkerbell half marathon 12 thumb RunDisney–Make an Ariel Running Costume

5. Try to convince a runner friend to dress up as Flounder or Sebastian.

ariel 400x320 RunDisney–Make an Ariel Running Costume

(source: fanpop.com)

I failed at this one and ended up with sexy Minnie Mouse aka SkinnyRunner. DSC 4147 thumb RunDisney–Make an Ariel Running Costume

6. Have fun!!! The RunDisney races are super fun – enjoy it!

rer and sr thumb RunDisney–Make an Ariel Running Costume

Notes: Under the costume I wore my usuals = sports bra and capris because it was kinda chilly and the swim skirt would ride down as I ran.

Added bonus: There were not a lot of other Ariels!

Question: If you were/are running a Disney race – who would you dress up as?

Comments

Same here although mine is by choice. Can’t stand too many things on me eg frills, headband, attachments etc. Then again, I could probably run in a costume if the race is really really short. Perhaps a 1km or 1 mile dash?

OMG, I totally remember seeing you on the course last year. I think you’re even in one of my official photos. I just started reading your blog a couple months ago or I would have said hi.

I’ve done several Disney races, but I’m not creative enough to come up with costumes for them :-(

I am in the middle of collecting pieces for my Tiana costume for the Princess half. Currently concerned that my green top and bottom are clashing….I think I might be a little over the deep end. Anyways, I will let you know when I finish it and post a picture!

Love, love, love that costume! The Little Mermaid was one of my all-time favorite Disney movies, although I think I’d have to go with Pocahontas or Jasmine (they both just have a little of that bad-girl edge, ya know?)

So fun that you participated in those races. Curious: what kinds of food do you typically eat to prepare for a marathon/half-marathon? I run at least 10 miles a day and am thinking of doing another marathon, but would love tips for food-intake.

Hi Caitlin, I don’t run 10 miles a day – that would be way too much for me on a daily basis. But, on days I do run higher mileage like that I fuel up before hand with 2 pieces of toast with nut butter and then have a regular meal within 30-60 minutes of getting done. Be careful not to over train. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

You and SR are ridiculously cute in these pictures. I am loving both of your costumes! I havent run in costume yet but it looks like so much fun!

Tons of my friends did the Walt Disney World marathon last weekend. It looked like such a blast. I’m seriously thinking of doing one of the races (the 5k at least) for next year.

I’m a total non-runner, do you think it would be crazy to try to do the half for next year? Am I insane and just mezmerized by all the pretty costumes and cute disney medals?

Happy Tuesday to you!
    Just read through the post here on your blog and love the freshness of it. You have a fun and witty writing style too! Keep up the good work and when you get a chance, come visit my take on how to stay healthy during the media tombed ‘flu pandemic of 2013’. Cheers to your health and success!
    Ciao ciao for now~
    Cherelynn
    @Cherelynn on Twitter

I think I’d probably run as Minnie or Snow White. When i think about it, I actually own most of the pieces I would need for either costume. I really want to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon in Orlando, but I have to wait for my daughter to get just a little bit older so she’ll actually remember the magic of Disney!

29? With no snow…perfect! California…lucky!

1 degree, snow and ice….ridiculous! That’s MN for ya!

I have never dressed up but would probably like a group costume…like the seven dwarfs….I could be lazy and have an instant excuse if I ended up last. hahha!

9. Jen says

I’m running my first RunDisney on Sunday. I am debating on wearing wings and being one of TimkerBell’s friends. I think the flopping around will bug me.

A Disney run is on my bucket list. Since DisneyLand is only a few hours away from me now, I think it will be doable in the next couple years. I would dress up as Belle, she’s my favorite!

11. Kate says

Hi Monica! This is totally random but I just had to leave you a comment that the first EVER Yogurtland opened in Chicago last week and it is literally 2 blocks away from my home…yeah, I’ve been there everyday since. Lives up to the hype!

Great speedwork, you are getting super fast. Your half marathon time was speedy too! Great costume. I don’t know what Disney costume I would pick, but my friend and I dressed up as run-away brides for a half marathon once, it was a blast!

I’m running the Disney Princess Half at the end of February, and I’m still trying to figure out my costume! This Ariel one is a great idea…and I’m now starting to think of other Disney Princesses I could easily create a costume for

14. Breanna says

I’m running Tink on Sunday! It will be my first half so I’m super stoked on it. Not doing the costume thing though. 5am start + this cold weather we’ve been having + a group of girls who have grown up in SoCal and don’t know what cold is = no costumes for us. Oh well, maybe next time (: Every single time I wear a black bow headband I have someone tells me I look like Alice in Wonderland so maybe that would be fun!

Dang, I failed on not being born a natural redhead. Genetic fail. Although my husband isn’t a huge fan of girls with red hair, so I really won? I’m so confused… ;)

I’m running the Disney Princess Half in February! I’m so excited – my husband and I feel like little kids planning our long weekend trip to Disney World! I’ll be dressing up as my fav Princess, Belle….yellow running skirt, yellow sneakers, yellow arm warmers and a cute Etsy tank I couldn’t resist even though it’s not yellow….but it says ‘Look Like a Beauty – Run Like a Beast’ so very fitting!

17. Tara says

I am soo uncreative! Even if I DO come up with a costume Idea, I am sure the outcome would be tragic! (I have learned from trying to do
    ‘crafty’ things around the house, and fail).

The best I have done is a red skirt, black top and devil horns for a 6.66 devil chase run. I had epic ideas of a costume but when it came to execute, that was all I came up with, haa!

18. Denise P. says

I did Minnie with a red sparkle skirt for Tink last year and it was a lot of fun because people were cheering me on the whole time with Go Minnie!

I would do one of the Princesses if I run another Disney race. I love all the ideas Team Sparkle gives for creating a costume using their sparkle skirts.

Disney sure does know how to put on a race, but I’ve got to save my $$$ and run them only once in a great while.

So cute! I ran Tink last year too (so that’s two races we’ve been in together that I didn’t get a chance to meet you in person).

I’m running it again this weekend as Tangled! I have a Team Sparkle purple skirt, purple compression socks, and a light purple tank that I stuck some ribbon to. And of course, I’ve got a long Rapunzel braid I hot-glued to my headband since my hair isn’t quite as long as hers…
    I was going to wear pink arm sleeves because it will be so cold, but the one’s I ordered were the wrong pink and well… I’d rather look good than be warm :)

All you ladies who are worried you’re not creative enough to make a costume – don’t stress. Even just coordinating your outfit the same colors as a character is fun. The “creative” part of my costume took all of 5 minutes and probably wasn’t even necessary…

I did the Princess half last year and dressed as Snow White. It was a lot of fun. I found the perfect yellow skirt at a goodwill. I can’t bring myself to get rid of it because it was such a good find but let’s be honest….where am I ever going to wear it again? ;)