Clean Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe

protien coffee cake thumb Clean Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe

I am on a mission to find a protein bar that’s delicious, but doesn’t use soy as a main ingredient (personal choice to cut back, do your own thing). Welp, that’s not as easy or cheap as I’d like so I decided to try and make my own.

I looked up a few recipes and used Jamie Eason’s Cinnamon Swirl Protein Bars as inspiration.

Clean Coffee Cake Recipe

Dry Ingredients:

• 1 c oat flour (I blended oats myself because I had them)
  • 2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I used whey)
  • 1/4c stevia or sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder

Wet ingredients:

• 2 egg whites
  • 1/2c plain greek yogurt
  • 1/2c milk of your choice (cow/almond/soy/cat)

Plus – cinnamon

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8×8 dish with non-stick spray. Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately. Combine thoroughly.

Pour half of the batter into the dish. Dust with cinnamon. Pour rest of batter. Dust with more cinnamon. IMG 1104 600x800 thumb Clean Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe

Bake for 26 minutes or until top is set. Let cool (optional because you know I didn’t do that) and cut into 9 pieces. Or 2 – one for me, one for you.

IMG 1107 800x600 thumb Clean Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe

This “clean” coffee cake recipe is also gluten free and packed with protein! IMG 1118 800x600 thumb Clean Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe

I topped my piece with peanut butter and it was melty and delicious on top. Mmmmm. IMG 1121 800x600 thumb Clean Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe

I put the rest in the fridge and popped 2 in the toaster oven today for a snack. They are still delicious! You know how sometimes healthy baked goods get weird later – these didn’t. Win.

cake Clean Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe

Question: When was the last time you had cake?

If it’s been longer than a week, you’re doing it wrong wlEmoticon winkingsmile6 Clean Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe

pin it button Clean Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe

Comments

1. Meghan says

Have you looked at the P90x protein bars. I think they are whey protein. Just a suggestion. If you would like to try one I could send you a sample :)

Coffee cake is one of those things that I will take the “real” version thank you. In the spirit of balance, not everything has to be super clean. But then again, if it is clean coffee cake or a real beer, I may take the beer.

The Kidless Kronicles

Dammit! I’m all out of cat milk!
    Can you share why you are trying to stay away from soy? I personally stay away from it when I can because of my PCOS.

4. Cindy says

This looks awesome! I love when I come across recipes I don’t need to modify. I can’t have soy or nuts, so I’m always super excited to try out recipes that I can eat, especially in cake form!

I don’t eat much cake, but I did eat THREE large donuts on Monday morning. After my Sunday marathon. They were fresh and delicious. I highly recommend this process of running marathons and then eating things you never, ever eat. The end.

6. s says

i haven’t had cake in a while. sad. i had donuts yesterday though, so i guess that counts. i’m totally making this recipe tonight!

I had Tiramisu Saturday night as a belated birthday treat. Is that considered a cake? And then they were handing out donut holes at the 10 Mile Marker of the IMS Arizona Half Marathon. It would have been rude not to take one.

My husband brought me cake for my birthday (Jan) and Valentine’s day, and I’m sad to say I did not like either piece that he got me. It has been awhile since I’ve had cake that I’ve enjoyed. *sigh* Life is hard. LOL

The last time I had cake was yesterday! My boyfriend got me this huuuge sheet cake for Valentine’s Day. I’m trying to finish it slowly, and have been eating cake basically everyday! And it’s the real deal, complete with a thick layer of buttercream frosting. So yummy!
    Cake is one of my greatest pleasures in life. Not the trendy cupcakes of modern day, but the real thing. Give me a slab from a beautifully crafted cake, and you’ll make me one happy girl :)

This sounds like an awesome recipe. When you made your own oat flour, did you use quick or steel cut oats? I would assume quick oats would work better, but I’m not really sure. It’s been far too long since I’ve had cake, probably since my sister-in-law-to-be’s birthday about a month ago.

11. Jenny says

I would love to learn more about protein powders. Any way you would talk about that in a post? I have been told to stay away from whey too much dairy. Love the recipe and can’t wait to try it! Thanks!

Does last Friday equal a week? Dang…I’m gonna raid the fridge for the sponge cake I brought back from that same Friday’s potluck dinner (each of us took doggie-bag leftover/way way too much food).

13. Sara Kruse says

I have a thyroid thing and stay away from soy and have definitely noticed it is in all protein bars!! Also noticed last year when I was adding tons of spinach to my smoothies, it really, really affected my thyroid levels (I take meds). Do you stay away from other goitregenic foods too?

• Jenny says

I don’t take medicine but had a partial lobectomy and I have started staying away from soy and those other foods. Soy is not as hard for me as the raw spinach, broccoli and kale. I do feel better than ever though so it is worth it. Any other tips you have?

14. Tara says

looks so good. I keep saying I am going to make some protien bars or balls. Something I should do when I am snowed in this weekend! (again!)

I like coffee cake because I feel that since the word coffee is in it, it is appropriate for breakfast. I also feel that carrot cake is a vegetable.

First off, THAT COMIC! Omg, it’s so true. LOVE IT! I’ve been hard-core craving a cinnamon coffee cake this week, too! Might have to make it just because. Thanks!!

17. Johanna B says

I made a real gluten-free cake with chocolate fudge frosting a week from last Sunday. I made it last for 4 days. a miracle for sure.

18. betty says

as soon as i restock my cat milk, i’m making this! this looks so good! i hate experimenting with protein powder baked goods.. all mine always come out too spongy.

19. Aubrey says

Hi Monica – I am a longtime reader (and until now, lurker). I noticed your note about looking for a protein bar with good nutritional stats that does not source primarily from soy… have you tried Quest bars? They are whey-based (no soy, no gluten, tons of fiber, and not a ton of sugar alcohols). I can personally attest to the amazing-ness of the chocolate brownie and cookie dough flavors. happy running :)

20. Stephanie says

Quick question: you mentioned in the recipe to use either a 1/4 cup stevia or sugar. Generally, the amounts for stevia are much lower as it is soooo much sweeter. Should they really be the same amounts?

21. Dee says

Just wanted to post that I made this cake (which I turned into bars) subbing the oat flour for almond meal and coconut flour and it was outstanding! I also added a little vanilla extract. Ate the whole thing in two days. Can’t stop won’t stop. That’s all :)

I would definitely try this at home, as it seems to be my type of food. I really enjoy baking and doing experiments with food. I hope my son will like it too, as he like to eat barbecue stuff. Let me see how good I can bake and prepare the same thing for my family. Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas here.