A Love Letter to Running and Watermelon

I started RunEatRepeat to document training for my first marathon. But, if I’m being honest this is really a love letter to Running and Watermelon – my two great passions in life.

a love letter to watermelon and runnning thumb A Love Letter to Running and Watermelon

I love both deeply and probably too much for my own good. But I’m okay with a few unhealthy relationships in my life. I don’t care, I love it.

Sadly, I missed celebrating National Watermelon Day (Aug 3) on RER this year because I was busy running and eating watermelon, hello.

national watermelon day thumb A Love Letter to Running and Watermelon

But, I think this post is going to make up for it. Because now I don’t just eat watermelon, I drink it.

IMG 2974 533x800 thumb A Love Letter to Running and Watermelon

Recently I came across a few articles about watermelon and it’s ability to reduce muscle soreness after hard workouts. (The study is actually from Spain and not funded by the watermelon board.) Turns out watermelon is packed with L-citrulline, an essential amino acid that helps prevent soreness.

This is AWESOME news to me and makes complete sense. I actually rarely get sore anymore and I thought it was because I am lazy don’t push myself hard enough. Nope. I’ve decided it’s because ‘a watermelon a day will keep the soreness away’. (I’m not a doctor, but you can quote me on that one.)

cat pushing watermelon thumb A Love Letter to Running and Watermelon

(source)

And in another happy turn of events, I finally found a coconut water I like! I sampled TJ’s version this week and it’s good stuff. Coconut water is great because it’s packed with the electrolytes your body needs are a sweat session.

So, I combined the science-y / magical properties in watermelon and coconut water to make a delicious post-run recovery drink.

watermelon recovery drink recipe for runners thumb A Love Letter to Running and Watermelon

Watermelon Workout Drink

Ingredients:

• 1 cup watermelon, cubed
  • 1 cup coconut water
  • squeeze lime
  • Optional: dash salt if you are an extra salty sweater OR if the watermelon isn’t very sweet, this will help bring out the sweetness.

IMG 2960 800x533 thumb A Love Letter to Running and Watermelon

Blend. Drink. Repeat.

The drink will separate if you leave it, so drink immediately or share.

IMG 2973 533x800 thumb A Love Letter to Running and Watermelon

Question: What food would your love letter be to?

Disclaimer: I now have a partnership with the Watermelon Board. I’ve been posting my love for them for years before this though. All opinions are my own.

Comments

1. Laura says

My love letter would be to either ice cream (unhealthy) or blueberries (healthy)
    Oh, and thanks for the tip on the coconut water…I am planning a big “Stock up” trip to TJ’s (the closest one is an hour away) next week and will try their coconut water…I also have not found a brand I like!

2. Sarah G. says

Yum… I just read about how watermelon is great for rehydrating, and now this? Awesome!

My love letter would be to guacamole. Or bacon. Or both, because really my life would not be complete without either one of those things.

3. Melanie Riojas says

That drink looks delicious! Must try it with coconut water.

I am confused when you write “Coconut water is great because it’s packed with the electrolytes your body needs are a sweat session.” Huh?

I’m not fond of coconut water. but the drink combo actually sounds pretty tasty, kind of tropical. If I wrote a love letter it would be to… pretzels and cheese dip. ya, terribly unhealthy. i don’t eat it much now. but when I did, i did it well.

Ooooo, this looks good. I’m a mega salty sweater so would need a cup full of salt to replace what I lose each run!
    My love letter would be to pesto. Or goats cheese. These ingredients tend to play a part in most of my meals!

Oh boy — I so much wish I weren’t allergic to watermelon! This looks tasty and very refreshing after a hot run.

If I were to write a love letter to a food, it would have to be to peanut butter. Or dark chocolate. Or… oatmeal!

-Emily K

I would write a love letter to froyo- I can eat it all day, every day!

I make a watermelon/coconut water drink sometimes, too, but minus the lime. I should try that next time, with a dash of salt. I always add salt when I’m eating watermelon.

I love watermelon too. I love your drink and I have been making it for year but I add two more ingredients Blueberries and Mint Leaves. I love my Vita-Mix too.

I don’t get sore often, but when I do, it is usually after climbing to the top of a mountain and running back down.

9. april says

i wasn’t a huge fan of coconut water when i tried it (which is weird because i really love most things coconut), but i think i might like coconut water with the addition of watermelon and lime.

my love letter would be to eggs and avocado. i just ate both for lunch and my tummy is very happy. :)

My love letter would be to avocados. I love them! I’d eat a whole one each day if I could (and sometimes do). You can add them to almost anything and they’re a perfect condiment. Yum!

And also pizza. It’s nearly perfect. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack. Hot or cold. You can have it as a meal, or make a dessert pizza. It can include all the major food groups. Perfection. And with avocados on top, it’s even better.

• Ella says

Wait a minute! You’re telling me I’ve been hydrating improperly after my workouts?! I assumed the splitting headaches were from all that sweating and the exhausting effort…

If I wrote a love letter to a food it would be coconuts. I love anything coconut and use it almost everyday. Coconut milk, coconut water, shredded coconut, coconut oil, etc.

12. Mia says

Today, while staring at containers of cut up watermelon in the store, i had the thought that watermelon is my favorite food. Not just my favorite fruit, but food period. A big statement (especially if you knew how much i love food) but one i feel comfortable making. Also, my birthday is Aug. 4. Next year, I’m totally having a combined national watermelon day/birthday party

Watermelon is high on my love letter list… but CHOCOLATE is my # 1. I guess I can call that a food?? yah?? It is basically one of my key food groups ;-)

14. valene says

cheese gets my love letter. I wish I had a healthy good that topped my cheese love but even my favorite meals involve cheese.

Dear parfaits or candy (or sweets in general) lol. Man I love so much food I’d have to right a lot of love letters!! I’m a lover not a fighter lol