When I was in college my best friend moved to Palm Springs, about two hours east of the LA suburbs where we grew up. I went to a local university and lived at home which was great for saving money but not for new experiences. So, I loved driving out to visit her because even though it doesn’t seem far – it was very different from home.
Palm Springs, California, is a desert city known for it’s hot springs, golf courses and resort hotels.
The phrase ‘It’s about the journey, not the destination’, comes to mind when I think about Palm Springs because after you get through the traffic, the landscape opens up, the air feels warmer and you see huge wind turbines spread out along both sides of the freeway.
One of my favorite stops along the journey was to get a Date Shake. There were signs advertising the ‘Famous Date Shake’ that looked a little homemade for a supposedly famous treat, but that was part of the charm.
The shakes truly are delicious and I look forward to this treat every time. And since dates are in season I decided to make a healthy date shake that’s a great post-workout or run snack. It’s all the creamy goodness of a shake, but better for you because we swapped ice cream for cottage cheese. So, it’s still fluffy and creamy plus has protein to help keep you full longer.
This Date Shake Recipe has a healthy combo of carbohydrates and protein to help your body recover after a run or workout. In fact, with one cup of milk you can help nourish your body with nutrients that build and repair muscle, strengthen bones, convert food to fuel and contribute to energy metabolism in the body. Plus, it’s naturally thickened with cottage cheese, sweetened with dates and has a dash of cinnamon to help keep your blood sugar stabilized.
As a born and raised California girl, I’m proud that our dairy farms are leading the way in sustainable farming. Check out the Real California Milk website here for more information on their commitment to sustainability.
Easy Date Shake Recipe
- 4 dates, pitted
- 1 cup Real California Milk
- ¾ cup cottage cheese made with Real California Milk
- 1 banana, frozen
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- 4 ice cubes
- Chop dates and soak in milk for 10 minutes to soften.
- Place all ingredients in a blender with 4 ice cubes. Blend thoroughly.
Date Shake Recipe Notes:
- Anytime my bananas are getting too ripe, I peel them and freeze for smoothies. If you don’t have frozen bananas – freeze 1 for at least 2 hours for this recipe.
- I added 4 ice cubes to this recipe. Add more for a thicker shake or less for a thinner drink.
- You may be able to skip soaking the dates in milk if you have a super strong blender. Just be sure to blend thoroughly!
Bonus: Double the recipe and pour half of it into popsicle molds for Date Popsicles!
This post is in partnership with Real California Milk. All opinions are my own.