1. My hair got crazy tangled on Catalina Island and probably on the boat ride back yesterday. This morning my usual runner braids were crazy ratty.
2. I’m excited about eating everything in the form of Red, White and Blue foods for the next week. I’m a situational dresser and apparently I’m a situational eater too!
3. I made trail mix for Catalina, or as my lil brother calls it – M&Ms with obstacles.
4. I don’t know what kind of melon this is – but I got it from the 99 cent store and it was delicious. I think it’s a golden melon, but I’m not sure.
5. I ate one of the ingredients from my latest Blue Apron delivery before making the meal! So busted. I replaced it, but still I feel like I should be embarrassed.
6. I went to Costco today and this quesadilla sample is the best part of my day so far!
7. A few people have asked if I really like the Squatty Potty.
Yes. I do. I’m a fan.
Fun fact: The company contacted me a few years ago to potentially review the Squatty Potty and I turned it down. I thought it was weird. But since going to China I really think that’s the way to go. Literally.
8. I really was hoping I could use this seasoning instead of Trader Joe’s Everything Bagel seasoning. I love the Everything Bagel stuff but I already use a lot of salt in my food and don’t want to start using this a lot (which is what would happen because I don’t do moderation). It’s good but not as good but I’m starting to get used to it.
9. I’m still dealing with the Moth Ball situation of 2017.
I for sure made myself sick from them and am still washing everything in vinegar to get the smell out and then washing it regular style. I was taking a pic of my Spark and the blankets in the background when Vegas photo-bombed. I love when he does that.
10. I’m not super into any reality show in particular right now but Southern Charm is on as I’m writing this because I allow myself to turn on the TV after 5pm PST. Every now and then I’ll get super into a show, but I’m just whatever about all of them. I do like the Southern Charm Savannah people too so I watch that one sometimes too.
But I’ve started to watch Mad Men so we’ll see how that goes!
Making Chickpeas in the CrockPot
I watched What the Health last week. I didn’t love it and have some conflicting thoughts on it. But I do think it’s extremely important to eat well to feel good. I want to get back into eating more plant protein instead of animal protein so I made a massive amount of chickpeas!
Step 1: Rinse chickpeas and check for any debris or rocks. Then, soak them overnight.
Step 2: Rinse and drain them in the morning. Then, put them in the crockpot. Cover them with water and add onion and garlic cloves.
Step 3: Cook on low for about 4-5 hours. Cook them to your preferred texture. Final cooking time depends on your preferences.
I like them firm for regular eating and softer if I’m making hummus.
Step 4: Once they’re done – strain them and season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool and store in the fridge.
This set me up for a delicious lunch!
I’m a fan of making beans in the crockpot! It’s so much easier than watching it on the stove.
Now I need to make hummus or chickpea salad or falafel! I’ll probably just eat them all straight though – I really love chickpeas. A lot.
Question: What are you having for dinner tonight?
Me: I think quinoa with chickpeas and a package of frozen veggies. It needs hummus though!