Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

It wasn’t easy, but I did it. Marathon #6 is done. IMG 9081 600x800 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon RecapAnd I’m retiring.

First let’s back up to the lovely Motel 6 we stayed at in Carpentaria. The door had been kicked in at one point… Fancy.IMG 9056 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

The Santa Barbara full Marathon started at 7:30am so the wake-up call wasn’t too bad. I laid out all my stuff and got ready. IMG 9059 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

Pre-marathon meal = A banana and a Picky Bar – the company sent me a few samples to try. Normally I have toast, but I forgot to make a PB&J for the morning.IMG 9060 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

Margarita Shot Blocks. My new fuel strategy for the marathon is to eat every 5 miles – 5, 10, 15, 20 (in case you didn’t know how that worked)IMG 9061 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

And I filled up my water bottles with beer. I mean, tea flavored NuunIMG 9063 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

IMG 9066 600x800 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

It’s a point to point course so while Ben drove me to the start I started to freak out about my shoe choice. I brought my go-to Brooks Ghost, but when I grabbed them yesterday they looked too worn down to run 26 miles.

IMG 9072 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

IMG 9075 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

So, I also grabbed my Brooks PureProject Flows just in case I wanted to wear those…

IMG 9073 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

Well, I grabbed my Ghosts for some further inspection and realized…

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME PAIR!!!

IMG 9076 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

See? From the top the look the same…

IMG 9074 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

From the bottom it’s obvious they are not from the same pair AND the ones on the right are beyond worn.IMG 9077 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

So, I while I LOVE my Pure Flows I usually only wear them for 8 miles max. But, I had no choice and they were along for the 26 mile ride.

There was a bit of a disaster yesterday when we couldn’t get Ben’s car out of the shop in time. Blah blah <insert freak out because I can’t get my bib in time> blah.

Luckily, Sheila (Striding Mom) randomly messaged me right around my freak out Friday and hooked me up with Kate from Run with Kate. She was running the SBIM too and could pick up my bib!

LIFE.SAVER. Thank you so so much Kate.

20121110 073035 600x800 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

The Santa Barbara Marathon was very well organized and the porta potty lines were short. What more can you ask for?

20121110 065111 600x800 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

The start was delayed about 15 minutes, but they announced it right away and that was the only hitch with the day.

20121110 070056 600x800 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

Okay, here’s my detailed mile by mile Race Recap…

Mile 1: I felt okay, went out a little too fast (like always) but just tried to relax and keep my head positive.

Mile 2: Not really. This is boring. Plus, I don’t get how people remember how they felt at each mile?!

Wait – I do remember is there was a HUGE hill at mile 23 and I told myself the whole race I could walk that hill (I had been warned about it).

Luckily, at Mile 23 I felt so great I didn’t need to walk. Ha! Kidding!! Not at all. I walked that ish unapologetically. Boom.

IMG 9078 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

Long story short – I PRd!!! 3:53:39

IMG 9079 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

IMG 9086 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon RecapIMG 9081 600x800 thumb1 Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

Oh, but it’s so painful. Marathons are rough. I’m here to officially announce my retirement.

IMG 9083 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

Overall, I would give this race two stinky sneakers up! The location is gorgeous, it’s a nice sized race – not too big or small and the finish is across the street from the beach!

IMG 9085 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

So, we walked across the street to the Pacific Ocean and I peeled off my disgusting clothes…

IMG 9087 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

California Ice Bath!!!

IMG 9091 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

IMG 9092 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap IMG 9096 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap IMG 9097 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap IMG 9098 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

Ben surprised me with some Pumpkin Bread, but I only had a bite.

IMG 9106 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

Yelp helped again and we ended up at D’Angelo’s Pastry & Bread for brunch/lunch/post-race meal time (it was almost 1pm by this point)

IMG 9112 600x800 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

Egg white omelet and toast for me…

IMG 9108 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

Ben got the Sunshine Toast with poached eggs.

IMG 9110 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

Then, we walked around Downtown Santa BarbaraIMG 9117 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

IMG 9113 600x800 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

I got a Chocolate Chip cookie from D’Angelo’s because it’s the right thing to do.

IMG 9114 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

It was good and had a good amount of chocolate chips, but it was too thin. I like my cookies thick!

IMG 9115 800x600 thumb Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

Now I’m driving home. I’m kinda craving an epic hamburger or something for dinner?! What are you having?

pin it button Santa Barbara Marathon Recap

Comments

Congratulations! What a great time and a super PR! That hill at Mile 23 is pretty brutal. Not that I have ran it but I drove it when I was there last month and it is no joke!

Monica , CONGRATS. That’s huge – and you looked super cute in your outfit doing it too!

Are you serious about not doing any more marathons?

It has been so inspiring to see your running journey. Enjoy this and congrats!

3. Mel says

Question. Why are you done with marathons? I mean I get it. I ran one and it was U-gly! Trained perfectly and finished in just over 5 excruciating hours. Like, if my husband hadn’t been running with me I’d have crawled of the course crying. But for you to have had such a great time, what happened? No judgement, just curious.

My immediate reaction when reading you ask, “Why are you done with marathons?” was – “because I feel wrecked.”

I feel like I LOVE running and I LOVE training but right around mile 20 the love isn’t as strong. And I kinda feel like marathons do more damage to my body than good. So, it’s a great accomplishment but running a half marathon makes me want to smile, eat, tell jokes and go to the mall while running a full makes me want to sit on the curb and stare off in the distance… Doesn’t that even make sense? Bah. I’m tired :)

4. Jayne says

Totally did that with the shoes on Tuesday. Grabbed two different gold coloured Nikes, unfortunately they were the same foot and didn’t realize until I was at the gym. fail

Congrats on number 6 and your retirement ;) I will need to check out D’Angelos next time we’re in SB. How did you like your Picky Bar? I like Smooth Caffeinator and All-in Almond best.

6. Karoline says

Hey so question about post-run food. I’ve been experimenting in the last few weeks with eating different foods during the day before my runs and then post run/work out meals and I’ve been trying to feel how my body is with different foods. I’ve noticed significant differences when I eat proteins that aren’t from animals, lots of veggies, and some grainier or oat carbs.. i’ve heard the whole “clean eating” shpiel and I think it’s all great but for me I really have to notice a difference in energy levels, running ability, and body changes. My question for you is, have you noticed differences in your body with having a different daily diet when it comes to your running? Especially after a marathon? I’ve never run a marathon but what foods do you feel best eating after 4 hours of running? Can anyone else speak to this??

I have never really changed up my diet enough to be able to gauge this. You mean – eating super clean versus how I eat now, right?

Before the race:
      I have actually been trying to avoid soy for a few months now because of my thyroid, but always eat a lot of veggies – so that’s all the same. I ate a little less sweets this week (but didn’t start that until Tuesday) so I did not feel a difference during the race.

I always eat salty carbs before a race – that’s key for my body, but everyone is different.

After the race:
      After running for 4 hours my body feels wrecked. I’m usually not very hungry and just kinda thirsty and nauseous. I try to eat something with protein and carbs because it’s important for recovery, but that could be a veggie omelet with toast OR chocolate milk OR a bagel and a yogurt. I don’t ‘eat clean’ after a race because it’s party time and because I have never noticed a big difference. Plus, after running 4 hours I refuse to make myself eat something just for recovery.

Hope that helps – let me know if you have more questions :)

7. Karoline says

(I ask because of your meal after being pretty normal – omelet/toast/cookie.. so I’m wondering if you just eat whatever and don’t notice a difference whether you’ve just run a marathon or haven’t run in a week)

Awesome race!! A PR is a great way to retire from marathons!!
    I had a lame supper at work. A Santa Fe Black Beans and Rice Smart Ones and some Pumpkin Cheesecake cookies <— these weren't lame, they were delish.

You are so inspiring. And good for you for retiring! 6 marathons is no joke!! If it isn’t fun anymore, it’s time to move on. You’re a champ!

I don’t think they were the best choice, but they worked. My knee started to feel it earlier than usual in the race and I think the lighter shoe might have been part of the reason.

I am no, no, no, expert on shoes but IF I had shoes that were that worn down I think I may use them ONLY for mowing the lawn…..ha!

(However, glad to see that even passionate runners like your self do have worn out shoes like myself) Keeping it real once again! Nice PR!

Are you really done with marathons? Sticking to Half Marathons then? Just curious…

11. Sarah G says

I definitely feel ya on the retiring from full marathons! I ran my 5th about a month ago and walked away feeling accomplished, but tired. I am a full time teacher and some days I just don’t have the motivation it takes to get up at 4 AM or run 10 miles after school. The half is a much more manageable distance. I am signed up for Grandma’s Marathon in June. I told myself that if by March I am not feeling it, I would switch races.

Congrats on your PR!

12. kate says

Oh sweetie…is your stuff REALLY touching a kicked-in-door Motel 6 bedspread???????

“We’ll leave the black light on for you.”

13. Jessica says

Congrats on the PR!
    A husband who brings you pumpkin bread? Swoon.
    For supper I had leftover Famous Daves BBQ beef and BBQ baked beans mixed into a salad. It.was.awesome.

Congrats! I can’t remember how I feel during each mile either. I was worried about your hotel room when I first saw your pic of tea nuun. I once stayed at a hotel where the water was that color straight out of the faucet.

I think I just had a good day. I never know how I’m going to feel on race day and I’ve been 100% prepared for races and totally tanked just because my body wasn’t feeling it. But, I felt good and made sure to fuel. I think the fueling every 5 kept me from hitting the wall again.

Great job!! Can’t blame you too much for wanting a retirement. Marathons are hard, and running them fast is even harder! The half marathon is definitely more enjoyable, though it sure does feel good to tell people you’re a marathoner, right?

Congrats! I loved the race!! The support was great (I loved the guy dressed as the chicken…and the accordian players )!

That hill was a jerk, but I felt so close at that point that I just kept telling myself “make it to the top!! It will be over soon!!!” and thankfully it was!!!

See, I think I got the bug running this marathon…I can’t wait to do another :) But they ARE exhausting. Recovery from halfs goes by way faster.

Congratulations on the PR!!!
    Half marathons are my all-time favorite distance!!
    Enjoy retirement (even if it ends up being one of those temporary ones!)!!

Awesome! I saw you at the start but I didnt want to bug you! You looked like you meant business- and you did! Hello PR! Congrats! Beautiful day wasnt it! I went slow and enjoyed myself and really it was a new experience. Slow time (4:13) but the most fun Ive had and Im not wrecked today! Im begining to see that racing a marathon and running one are 2 diffrent things…so dont retire just yet (<;

Awww! You should have said “Hi!” I was all alone :) I agree, after LB I felt a lot better this year versus last year. I might run a fun one with a friend, but I need a break for now. Great job! 4:13 is NOT slow in my world so I think that rocks!

19. Susan says

Congrats on your #6 Marathon…AND on your PR…AND for being awesome! I completely agree with you; full marathons are just too far (in my opinion and I’ve only done two) thus I’d prefer to participate in a half marathon any day.

And when you DO the NYC marathon, it will be #7. Finishing on Lucky #7, I think that would be fantastic.

Sounds like a great race! How are ur feet/knees feeling? Dude u gotta check your shoes mama! What do u do with all ur old shoes? Donate or just trash?

Way to go on #6! I just wanna do 1!

21. Phebe says

Congrats on your PR Monica! That’s awesome :) I’m glad you were able to finish your last marathon with a bang. Happy recovering – you’ll have to let us know if the compression socks make a difference!

22. Heidi says

Awesome job! I 100% feel you with your issue with the shoes. When I get ready for a race, a lot of it is mental: right outfit, snacks, socks and shoes all ready to go! I swear sometines a cute new shirt for a race and make all the difference because you feel confident :) Great job pushing through it!

Nice work, Monica. I’m all about the half-marathons. I’ve never attempted a full, but worried if I never do one I’ll never feel like a “real” runner. Sigh.

It’s a super small place and I could see into the kitchen – the chef used a little cup thingy to make them like that. I told Ben, “He’s cheating! But they’re perfect…”

Amazing time!!!! a) There is no way you r retiring. b) Carpenteria is so stinking cute. My brother got married there. Congrats on finishing with an amazing time.

Thick chocolate chip cookies are definitely better than thin! Congrats on completing your 6th marathon that is awesome! And what better way to end a race than a walk on the beach/dip in the water? I bet the views were awesomely scenic which must have made for some beautiful running. Definitely don’t blame you for retiring after #6 though!

Congrats on the PR! Glad you were able to find another marathon to run since NYM didn’t happen. I am training for my first marathon, and I already agree that the marathon is so much harder on the body! Not sure if I will run too many of them either, but I thought it was worth at least one try, right?!?