Just the Tip–Naked Smoothie

Hello! This morning I spent some time with Jillian and knocked out a few miles on the sidewalk.

Now it’s time for a little healthy eating a la a smoothie for breakfast!

image thumb69 Just the Tip–Naked Smoothie

Just the Tip: If you’re pressed for time prep all your smoothie ingredients except ice into the blender the night before. In the morning, add ice, blend, drink. IMG 1630 800x600 thumb Just the Tip–Naked Smoothie

I am working with a few of my friends who want to eat healthier. Two of them don’t eat breakfast because they don’t have time. False. Prep this smoothie after dinner and blend it in the morning – you can take it on the go and drink it on the way to work!this bmi chart lies thumb Just the Tip–Naked Smoothie

Make sure to layer it like this so it doesn’t clump (from the bottom):

• Juice
  • Fruit
  • Spinach <- this creates a layer in between the protein powder and liquid
  • Protein powder
  • Chia seeds (optional)
  • Place in the fridge overnight.

Naked Juice sent me some samples for this post, I used the strawberry banana for this smoothie. They want you to eat your fruits and veggies and I’m just the messenger. I say do it.

nj logo 200x100 Just the Tip–Naked Smoothie

IMG 1620 600x800 thumb Just the Tip–Naked Smoothie

IMG 1625 600x800 thumb Just the Tip–Naked Smoothie

In the morning add the ice to the top and blend. Done and done. IMG 1635 800x600 thumb Just the Tip–Naked Smoothie

Just the Tip #2: I swear you don’t taste the spinach in these smoothies. Just add it and then when you live till you’re 102 years old you can talk about this “RunEatRepeat girl” that used to write suggestive blog titles back in 2013… IMG 1640 800x600 thumb Just the Tip–Naked Smoothie

Now grab that smoothie and get out the door!

IMG 7289 600x800 thumb Just the Tip–Naked Smoothie

Wait. First leave a comment on RER…

Question: Have you tried spinach in a smoothie yet?

I know most of you have – chime in and tell the class it’s good!

Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Naked Juice via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Naked Juice.

pin it button Just the Tip–Naked Smoothie

Comments

1. Phil York says

I have not tried spinach in my smoothie yet, but will plan on it for tomorrow morning. Thanks for the tip.

2. Becky says

Yes! I make spinach (or spinach/kale) ice cubes (cause I was tossing lots of wilted spinach) and use them in smoothies.

How to: Fill blender with spinach/kale (its ok to stuff it full). Add a bit (approx 1/4 cup) of water. Blend. Pour into ice cube trays. Freeze. Add 2-3 cubes to any smoothie! No more waste!!

• Breanna says

Love this idea! I hate throwing away spinach but sometimes I buy the bulk bag and don’t end up finishing it:(

OMG this is an awesome way to consolidate those huge bags of spinach taking up valuable real estate in my freezer – thanks for the tip, Becy!

• j says

How do you freeze spinach? Just put whole bags in the freezer? Can’t believe I don’t know about this…..

Yeah! I just usually buy a couple organic bundles of spinach ever week and a half or so then cut off a bulk of the stems, wash it, paper-towel dry and then stick it in a gallon freezer bag. It stays good indefinitely and I usually don’t have to add any ice to my smoothies between this and the frozen bananas I use!

Great idea! I like to make smoothie packs so that all I have to do is add the liquid and ice (protein powder too, if using). I add a banana (broken in half), spinach and a variety of fruit and put them in Ziploc bags. I always have a few on hand to make smoothies come together even faster. It’s a great way to save produce on its way out and it’s cheaper than buying the premade smoothie packs!

3. Mary Ann says

You can’t taste the spinach and I add at least 2 packed cups to each smoothly. But if you want to feel superior to other smoothie drinkers, use kale. That’ll make a beast out of you.

4. Sarah says

Yes! I keep trying to convince my husband that you can’t taste it but he claims otherwise. I think a blind taste test is in order…

I put spinach in my smoothies all the time and have never tasted it, but you do have to really blend it well if you don’t want people to know you snuck it in theirs :)

I like how you say add ice. Here on the East Coast, I cannot eat smoothie in the morning because it is so cold and makes my whole body shiver. That usually does not stop me, as I did it this morning and shivered through the consequences. Maybe someday summer will come and I will wake up hot and want ice :) In the meantime, I am dreaming of being in CA in just 2 short weeks!

7. Amy says

Just the tip – Sadly I liked your blog much more before you started giving a shit about GOMI and editing your content to lessen the scrutiny you get from them. Please, please, bring the old Monica back and bring it back to keepin’ it real.

Back to your post, I’ve only made 1 green smoothie in my entire life. It was good. Not sure why I don’t make more? Probably because I’m on WW trying to lose the weight from baby #2 and everything is about the points right now.

Hey Amy, thanks but I don’t read GOMI so I don’t edit for them. (I read a bit back in the day, but realized it wasn’t constructive feedback so I stopped.) But, if there is something different about RER that you’d like to give me feedback on I’m all ears :) Email me at runeatrepeat@gmail dot com

8. Angelica says

I add almost an entire bag of spinach to my smoothies (making 2-3 servings) and I swear you can’t taste it. Spinach: Do it!!!

9. Kelly says

I love adding spinach to my smoothies!! You can’t taste it all! I freeze my spinach and greens for smoothies and I think that adds a nice texture.

10. Deb says

I have not tried spinach in a smoothie yet … but heard it’s good.
    You say Naked wants us to eat our fruits and veggies – I think they want us to “drink” them! ha ha I hear they’re good!
    Love your blog! ;-)

11. Krystina says

I love spinach in my smoothies and I also love putting kale in my smoothies. Just knowing how many vitamins and nutrients I’m sipping on, makes me feel a million times better. Sidenote…I use this as a hangover cure as well! ;)

12. Denise says

Yep, I’ve made smoothies with spinach. My favorite is coconut water, spinach, strawberries, pineapple, and half a banana. Oh, and ice.

13. Tara says

True story; you cannot taste it at ALL! I will add what ever greens I have -spinach, kale, baby greens.
    Also, I dont use juice, but use almond milk, spinach, greek yogurt, protein powder (only if I worked out) and frozen fruit (bananas, berries, pineapple, mangos…whatever mood I am in!)
    so so so so so GOOD!

I put spinach in my smoothie all the time! Sometimes I switch it up and add other greens like kale. I get that huge bag from Costco and can finish it in about a week and a half.

15. Maren says

oh yea definitely can’t taste it! my favorite recipe is 1 cup almond milk, 1 scoop vanilla bean Plant Fusion pp, 1 cup frozen berries, ice, and a huge handful (or 2) of spinach!

I’ve never thought to prep a smoothie the night before- brilliant!
    I started using spinach about a year ago and totally converted after my first time. I usually only make smoothies on weekends after long workouts which works perfectly since I need to eat more greens on weekends!

It’s true, you don’t taste the spinach at all. I’ll even add it to a protein shake after a run. My favorite is to throw some cold coffee (I brew it before my run and put it in the frig), ice, a little almond milk, a scoop or 2 of protein powder (the Click Vanilla Latte or Mocha are yummy), then throw some spinach on top, blend it up. Yummy.

I eat breakfast every morning but never have a smoothie as breakfast. I would like to incorporate them in as a post-run refueling item in the summer. Something about a smoothie during a cold Indiana winter doesn’t work for me.

And I need to add spinach or kale…but never have.

I always put spinach in my smoothies! I swear you can’t taste it! Everybody always looks at me with turned-up noses while I’m drinking them…I converting them slowly. ;)

i LOVE THAT THIS SMOOTHIE ISNT GREEN, SORRY BUT I JUST CANT GET PASS THE GREEN STUFF. i’M SO BAD ABOUT EATING BREAKFAST, SOMETHING I REALLY NEED TO WORK ON. Great workout.

I put spinach in all of my smoothies! A great way to get more veggies. I also buy extra fruit on sale, wash it, cut it up and freeze it. I use that instead of ice cubes! I’ve noticed that you need to use about half frozen and half fresh to have it blend up nicely.

I agree. I love spinach smoothies… I mean you can tell there’s a little flavor there, but it’s not bad at all! My husband loved my green smoothies after making fun of me for a long time for drinking them. :)

I was so shocked to not taste the veggies in my smoothies. Granted, the first person to convince me of this was jamba juice and that is still usually a sugar bomb, but now I do it myself and it’s still delicious.

24. Kim says

I’ve never tried one but I will, it seems like a good wat to get more vegetables in! I never eat vegetables for breakfast otherwise..

I eat a lot of spinach any way because I love it, but I have tried it in fruit smoothies before you you certainly cannot taste it at all when its blended with other flavors. Just a handful of spinach to a smoothie with a number of other ingredients adds a ton of health benefits without making it taste weird. I also have had Naked juices before and they’re delicious, but I heard they have a ton of calories.

I use spinach in my smoothies all the time, but my favorite combo is chocolate avocado! I thought I was the only one who prepped her smoothies at night. I guess red heads think alike! :)

I love spinach smoothies!! I actually have one every morning!! I usually make a double batch and then I have one for the next morning already blended and made. It actually stores really well in the fridge!

This is, for me, like THE best way to eat spinach. I mean, salads are great, but there is no way I could eat one every day. Drinking a smoothing with spinach in it, however… now if only I could find a way to do this for all my veggies!

29. betty says

i buy one of those huge bags of spinach from costco and use it in a little over a week on my smoothies. people who are just starting out should use bananas. if i have a ripe banana, i know i wont taste it.

Always ad spinach to my smoothies. My kids even drink them so you know there is no spinach taste.
    Thanks for the tip, I never thought to premake them the night before.
    I do premake smoothies and freeze them for the kids lunches though and me. Just pop it in their lunch pail and by lunch time is is a frosty smoothie.

31. Darcie says

I LOVE spinach smoothies. Makes my skin GLOW! I also use bananas to take the edge of the taste. Spinach, almond milk, 1/2 banana, peanut or almond butter, chia seeds, flax seeds and dash of cinnamon and nutmeg. YUM!

I put spinach into just about, well everything. I never ate it growing up, I hated it and now I love it. The good thing about loving spinach, its good for you and you can use it for just about anything!

I love spinach in smoothies, but this week I tried frozen kale for extra greens. I did the whole “prep at night, blend in the morning” but because it was frozen kale, it got goopy and gross, and I almost gagged while attempting to drink it. So my just the tip for anyone reading this, don’t use frozen greens and let them sit overnight.

Great idea to pre-make the smoothie (love time saving tips!).
    I’ve never put spinach in a smoothie – maybe I’ll be brave and try it.

35. Jenny says

Sorry, I disagree with most of you. It’s very tolerable, but I can taste the spinach when I add it to my smoothies. It adds a certain earthiness, but it is not unpleasant.

36. Catherine says

I love both spinach and kale in smoothie with a banana, frozen berries, and a little juice. For those if you with a Vitamixer (or some other super blender that won’t leave chunks), try beets for a SUPER healthy blend. This is a pro tip, as you will tastre the beets a bit. I used to hate beets, but they are so so awesome for me that i stated adding them to smoothies and it’s now my favorite post run recovery drink with a little protein powder.

37. miq says

If you have a cheap-o blender like me, you should try blending just the liquid (water, juice, milk, whatever) plus the spinach…then add the fruit. I found the texture improved immensely when I did this.

I’m a recovering green smoothie addict lol. I discovered the goodness last fall and up until recently use to have one about every morning. Now I’ve cut back to about 3-5 lol throughout the week. Sometimes for breakfast and sometimes for a snack pre or post workout.

I’ve tried a few Naked Drinks but even though it’s no added sugar the couple I’ve tried have a lot of natural sugar so I would only drink them sporadically but added some to a smoothie is a good idea.

39. Jennifer Wordehoff says

Yes, I have! One good sized handful is fine and you can’t taste it, the only thing that you will notice is the bright green smoothie you will be drinking. But, add more than a handful, you will be picking spinach out of your teeth.