Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap

Laguna Hills Memorial Day Half Marathon done!

IMAG4240 BURST002 800x450 thumb Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap

My 2013 goal was to run 13 ‘13.1’s and so I had to count up my progress so far (a few people asked how I am doing on this so far and I had no idea!). Luckily I have a  little online weblog to keep track wlEmoticon winkingsmile5 Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap

Half Marathon Race count:  3 in January, 2 in February, 1 in March, 1 in April (and Ragnar) and 3 races in May

Total Races  in 2013 = 10!

So, I am on track for 13 halfs races this year! <- My goal was originally to run 13 half marathons, but I’ve been switching it up and running a lot of fulls this year. That was NOT part of the plan, but it’s a good thing so I’m tweaking my goal. I’m going to try and hit 13 races NOT half marathons but full marathons don’t count as 2 halfs.

This morning I woke up bright and normal time for the race. It started at 7am and is only a mile away from my house so I woke up at 6am.

Pre-race fuel. Vegas tail. IMAG4194 450x800 thumb Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap

Ready to run! Note: The time on the clock is 6:41 and the race starts at 7am. No big since I live one mile from the start.

IMAG4197 450x800 thumb Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap

The race start is at the Laguna Hills mall and there is plenty of parking.

IMAG4253 800x450 thumb Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap IMAG4212 800x450 thumb Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap IMAG4213 800x450 thumb Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap

The course is gorgeous, but tough. It’s hilly, which is normally not my thing but I felt good and pushed it. Guess I should have realized they don’t call it Laguna HILLS for fun.

Time – 1:44:29 IMAG4224 450x800 thumb Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap

IMAG4218 800x450 thumb Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap IMAG4219 800x450 thumb Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap IMAG4226 800x450 thumb Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap

Post race festivities…

IMAG4228 800x450 thumb Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap IMAG4234 800x450 thumb Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap IMAG4238 800x450 thumb Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap

IMAG4244 800x450 thumb Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap

On the course I spotted a little red head runner and got excited. Sheila’s little boy was running the 5k. I love him. image thumb26 Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap

The course ends at a local sports complex and buses take you back to the start. I’m random so I walked back to my car (about a mile away).

12 E75ACFCA 1154012 960 100 800x450 thumb Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap

Overall thoughts on the Laguna Hills Half: Loved the race. It is super easy to get to / park. There is a 5k & 10k option so everyone can play. The course is gorgeous. I would run it again.

IMAG4220 800x450 thumb Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap

Disclaimer: The race organizers provided me with a bib for my running pleasure. All opinions are my own.

Question: How close is the mall to your house?

pin it button Laguna Hills Memorial Half Marathon Recap

Comments

Cool! Great time on the half, considering a hilly course! Lucky that the start was just a mile from home. How convenient!
    (I love about 7 miles from the closest mall)

Sounds like an awesome race – hope I can make my way back to Cali for a memorial day half at some point! LOVE your skirt!

You know I was trying to remember if you broke the lid to your starbucks cup, do you know they are selling the lids (in a two pack) right now at Starbucks??

4. Lindsey @ OneMotherofaDay says

Looks like the weather was beautiful! Maybe I will have to do it next year. I am about an hour or so from there.

5. Allie says

I ran that race this morning, too. I agree – the course was pretty great! I’d definitely do this race again. It had such a community feel to it.

I wondered how your 13 in 13 was going – I like your updated plan since you have been doing so many other races besides just the half marathon!!
    Great job today!!!

7. Breanna says

I loved this race! Maybe I’m biased because I PRd but I thought it was really well organized and the course was really nice. I signed up super last minute (yesterday) just for fun and ended up having a great time. I would totally recommend it to anyone that is thinking they might want to run it next year. You did awesome, Monica! (:

That’s so nice to have a race right outside your door.
    There’s a half marathon near my house in August, a really low-key, hilly race during the most hot and humid part of the summer. I am considering running it just for fun.

The closest mall is about a 15 min drive from my house. Though I go to one that’s about 25 mins drive.

9. Shannon in Tustin says

Yay, another half!! Good job! :)

That mall is about 10-11 miles from our house; but a super easy jaunt down the 5 fwy.

I might check out that and PCRF (again) next year for the “marathon in May” medal.

You drove to the race site?!?!?! Hah! I would probably do the same! Then again, if parking or getting in and out of the car park wasn’t a problem. Nearest mall is probably about 3km away?

nice time:) those zone perfectly simple bars are supper yummy. our closest mall just happens to be the mall of america! 4.5 miles from home to be exact:) i can run there no sweat. ok, maybe a little sweat;)

What a fun race! I live within walking distance of slot of shops/restaurants–1/8-1/4 mile. I live 1/2 mile fom both of my jobs, too. I’ve been asked by a lot of people if I even own a car!!! Ha!!!

13. Shannon says

Way to go on your running goals for 2013! Keep up the good work….your blog/goals/running etc. help inspire me thanks for sharing all of this :)

I so need to run a race already out in California – so beautiful. Congrats on another fab finish! I live within 5 minutes of one mall and 15 from another.

That’s an amazing time on the half, Monica! VERY impressed! Also congrats on being, like, basically already there on your race goal (goal race number? number of goal races? oh, phrasing!) – its not even June and you only ‘need’ three more. At this rate, you’ll knock it out of the park!

The Laguna Hills race is about .5 miles from my house :) Which makes the mall about a mile from my house? We walked down there to check out the after race stuff (but kid decided to sleep until 10am, lazy bones jones), but mostly played at the dinosaur park there. Great race time! Glad that you liked it, I always hear great things about that race.

17. Jen says

What a great race time! You are doing great on your race goal for 2013, I am impressed. I love your skirt you are wearing. Where is it from?

Congrats on your PR!!! I PR’ed at my race the previous weekend as well!!! I live about 2 miles from our mall in Temecula!!! It’s nice and convenient, although the traffic gets a bit much…..

19. Kaye McDonald says

I just moved near the Laguna Hills Mall, it is the saddest mall ever. Unfortunately, it might be the closest one to me!
    Luckily, I work near the Spectrum, which is flipping awesome. :) Wish I knew about this race.