Hi! Here’s a quick video of my experience taking the Covid-19 Test and Ben’s experience taking the Covid-19 Rapid Test. I’m not a doctor, therapist or paleontologist. This is not medical advice or info, just a fast take on what it looks like and how it feels.
Taking the Covid19 Test and Rapid Test Video:
- Ben lives in FL and recently came back to CA for work. He was very careful during travel but did take a cross-country flight the week before he started to feel sick.
- He started to feel sick, mainly tired and sore (or body aches). Given the current outbreak of Covid-19 & his recent travels we had to treat it like he may have been infected with the virus.
- I talked to a friend that is a nurse practitioner and has worked at a Covid-19 testing clinic in Orange County about Ben’s symptoms. She voted to act like he had it and quarantine until we could get a test to confirm otherwise.
- I personally thought it was just extreme jet-lag because he changed time zones and was working long hours as soon as he got to CA. And we were taking a lot of walks with Diego so that could explain the soreness. But again, we had to err on the side of caution because it was the right thing to do.
- I didn’t feel sick or have a fever. Ben did have a very slight fever and tracked it in a spreadsheet multiple times a day for a few days as we waited for the test to track if it was getting worse – it didn’t.
- It was hard to get a test! The day he started to feel sick it was early in the morning and I spent most of the day looking for a local testing site that had open appointments. There were NO appointments for that day. I finally found ONE appointment for the next day.
- He got the rapid test. It took 20 minutes. It cost just under $200 out of pocket. [His results – Negative]
- I got the standard test the next day (at another location – these were the soonest appts I could find). I wasn’t allowed to get the rapid test because my health insurance didn’t cover it and I couldn’t pay for it out of pocket. The results took almost a whole week to come back. [My results – Negative]
- I don’t think they stick the q-tip up your nose very far or hard. It didn’t hurt or make my eyes water.
- Overall – The test was quick and painless. But finding a test and getting an appointment was NOT easy. And I had to wait a week for the results(it was estimated between 3-5 days). I’ve heard it’s taking even longer than that in many places now.
More info on Coronavirus Testing…
- Coronavirus Testing Basics Info
- Coronavirus Testing Info via CDC
- Information on the Covid-19 Test Locations in Orange County, CA
- Round Up of Covid19 Test Options via GoodRx
You Might Also Like:
Follow @RunEatRepeat on Instagram for more running, eating and fun!