Mexican Meatless Monday– Two Ingredient Taco Recipe

two ingredient tacos thumb Mexican Meatless Monday– Two Ingredient Taco Recipe

It’s been a year since I made tofu taco meat. Not sure why it’s taken me so long – I love this stuff and so does Ben?!

Luckily, I remembered to grab all the dozens of ingredients to make this yesterday while grocery shopping.

Not really. This recipe is 2 ingredients – tofu and TJ’s Taco Seasoning. IMG 6774 800x533 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday– Two Ingredient Taco Recipe

Growing up my Grams NEVER used seasoning packets for taco meat. She just seasoned it Mexican style. So, I’ve never tried the other options available in stores. But I have heard they are full of weird ingredients and TJ’s version is not. two ingredients thumb Mexican Meatless Monday– Two Ingredient Taco Recipe

The recipe also only has two steps -

1. Crumble the tofu by hand into a hot, oiled panIMG 6742 800x533 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday– Two Ingredient Taco Recipe

2. Mix in the seasoning. Cook.

IMG 6746 800x533 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday– Two Ingredient Taco Recipe

Tip: If you use a whole packet of the seasoning to one block of tofu it will be pretty spicy. If you’re not a spice loving senorita or senor, use half the packet and add more to taste.

IMG 6753 800x533 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday– Two Ingredient Taco Recipe

This tofu meat reminds me of chorizo. I could eat it straight up, but I opted for tacos tonight.

I topped hot corn tortillas with the tofu meat, cabbage, cheese and dipped in guacamole. IMG 6781 800x533 thumb Mexican Meatless Monday– Two Ingredient Taco Recipe

I’ll probably make a taco salad or burritos with the leftovers. It’s so versatile!  serve with guacamole thumb Mexican Meatless Monday– Two Ingredient Taco Recipe

In Other News:

How Dieting Makes People Obese from the Huffington Post– Loved this article, supports the IE argument.

and since Paleo is the only way to be healthy wlEmoticon winkingsmile5 Mexican Meatless Monday– Two Ingredient Taco Recipe this book argues the other side  – The Starch Solution article

And now I must do my walk for the day… See ya tomorrow.

Comments

1. Bev says

Hey! Did you spy on me? I’m making almost the same thing for dinner tonight – just switching out the tofu for tempeh. I LOVE the Trader Joe’s taco mix. Yum!

Can’t wait to try this…I found tofu a couple of months ago and love it!! I am sure I will enjoy it this way too…thanks for the idea!

3. Janny says

Wow, so easy and sounds delicious! I’m always looking for Tofu Tuesday (ok Veggie Tuesday is more accurate, but it doesn’t have the same ring to it) lunch ideas, so thank you thank you! :D

I wish you would have told me about this recipe last night before I baked the tofu i had… b*tch. ;)

I’m totally making this next week because I have a ton of corn tortillas to use!

5. Maggie says

How have I never heard of this before?!? I’m excited and embarrassed and hungry all at once…glass case of emotion. :)

Crumbled tofu is a great idea! Being a pescetarian myself, I have recently been trying to incorporate more protein into my diet & this seems like the perfect meal for that. It would also be good with some sauteed bell pepeprs and onions (fajita style) or in a mexican inspired salad.
    Bueno!

It’s firm tofu. I should press it, but I haven’t the last few times I’ve cooked with it. I have the pan pretty hot so any water cooks off – especially when it’s crumbled. You can also buy the tofu not packaged in water if you also want to skip this step.

I made tacos the exact same way with ground turkey they other day. Turkey plus spices….could not be easier. It was my first time using that spice packet and it sure packs a punch. I will have to try tofu next time my tofu hating husband is out of town.