Easy Meatless Monday Recipe–Potato Masala CrockPot Simma

Happy (Meatless) Monday!

easy meatless monday recipe potato curry thumb Easy Meatless Monday Recipe–Potato Masala CrockPot Simma

Since California is in a drought right now I have been trying to keep ‘Monday meatless’ because I’ve always heard it was better for the environment. I’m worried about the water situation here! But I wanted to be sure, so I did a little research.

image thumb9 Easy Meatless Monday Recipe–Potato Masala CrockPot Simma

(source: Choose Veg)

The hard part is – everyone has an agenda so you should always consider the source before straight up believing something (yes, even when that source is a certain red-headed Mexican blogger coughcough).

dear vegetarians thumb Easy Meatless Monday Recipe–Potato Masala CrockPot Simma

(source)

“It takes thousands more liters of water to produce a kilo of beef than to grow the same quantity of grains, vegetables or pulses. Manure, antibiotics and hormones all find their way from livestock farms into our water system, while fish farms release chemicals and parasites that threaten wildlife.”Vegetarian Society

This is a good article from the University of Michigan – Vegetarianism and the Environment

There are tons and tons of resources out there if you want to dig up information to support your preferred cause. I’m just taking it all in for now and passing on some information in case you’re doing the meatless thing on Mondays.

I am still on a fact finding mission and I can’t eat soy for health reasons so I am not anywhere near a place where I’ll be full veg soon. Please do what works for you and I won’t judge. I’d appreciate the same.

visi vegan Easy Meatless Monday Recipe–Potato Masala CrockPot Simma

Onward!

Meatless Monday -

Easy Potato Chickpea Masala

This recipe is another one made possible by the convenience of Trader Joe’s. All ya need…

• 5 small potatoes
  • 1 jar masala sauce
  • 1 can garbanzo beans
  • 1 bag frozen peas
  • salt, pepper and garlic to tasteIMG 4472 800x533 thumb Easy Meatless Monday Recipe–Potato Masala CrockPot Simma

Directions: Throw clean, chopped potatoes in crockpot. Cook on low for 3 hours. Add beans and peas. Season with salt, pepper and garlic. Stir and heat for another 20 minutes or until peas are warm (mine was done in 5 because it was so hot). Serve with veggies, naan and/or rice!

IMG 4482 800x533 thumb Easy Meatless Monday Recipe–Potato Masala CrockPot Simma

easy meatless monday recipe potato curry thumb1 Easy Meatless Monday Recipe–Potato Masala CrockPot Simma

Enjoy! Or if you don’t want to cook you can order pizza…

im vegetarian okay thumb Easy Meatless Monday Recipe–Potato Masala CrockPot Simma

Question: What are you having for dinner?

pin it button Easy Meatless Monday Recipe–Potato Masala CrockPot Simma

Comments

1. Jessica says

Breakfast for dinner- egg white omelet with some toast. Got into meatless Mondays a few years back (thanks oprah!), and I like that it challenges me to plan my meals a little bit more. Your masala looks delish!!

Yum! This looks wonderful! I try to enjoy meatless monday as often as possible. I think it is good for us all to do it, and much cheaper too! I intended to make something similar last week, but I was going away all weekend so realized most of it would be going to waste as I live alone! This looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

3. Tanya says

Had homemade chicken noodle soup and it was deeelicous! Right now I need the nutrients that meat gives me, my adrenals are low.

Yum! I’m putting this on my list for next week’s meals. Was it spicy? I like spicy but my two young kids may not. Last night I had the hubby help out with dinner and we had chicken and asparagus on the BBQ and also some garlic quinoa.

It was lazy night around here: black beans with pecorino and True Lime with garlic & cilantro seasoning. And approximately 14 pounds of carrots and hummus.

6. Suzanne says

I made this! I kinda failed though…I didn’t have as much time, so I tried to rush it by putting it on high for about 2 hours. The potatoes didn’t cook through. Had they cooked all the way, it would have been perfect! So, my advice if you are on a time crunch and want to do this recipe is to cook the potatoes first most of the way OR cut them smaller than pictured. I ended up microwaving the hell out of them afterwards.

I put it in a low carb wrap. On the wrap I put spinach leaves and some plain greek yogurt on top because I like my wraps as messy and full as humanly possible. :)

7. Sarah Elizabeth says

Mmm, I just made this, and it’s delish! Gotta love the slow cooker and Trader Joe’s. I did notice, though, that in your recipe you forgot to include when to add the masala sauce! Don’t worry, I figured it out, but I thought I’d let you know so maybe you can update this post =)

8. Jessica Jones says

Just made this tonight and it was SO good. Going to have to make a smaller batch next time though, I’ll be eating it all week! :)