California Strawberry Farm Tour

Hello and Happy Monday!

I had quite the exciting weekend, but after yesterday’s half marathon I was busy catching up on life so here is an update.

california strawberry farm visit hayride 600x800 thumb California Strawberry Farm Tour

Friday you saw the deal – I drove up to Ventura, CA for an event with the California Strawberry Commission.

image thumb33 California Strawberry Farm Tour

We stayed in Ventura Friday night and actually it was at a hotel right along Ventura Beach! This is very close tothe Shoreline Half Marathon race route (check my race discounts page if you want to come).

Luckily Anne was on the trip too and wanted to run with me! We did four miles along the beach – the best way to start the day! strawberry farm terry berry tour ventura beach 800x600 thumb1 California Strawberry Farm Tourstrawberry farm terry berry tour ventura run 800x600 thumb1 California Strawberry Farm Tour

Breakfast!

strawberry farm terry berry tour breakfast CA 600x800 thumb1 California Strawberry Farm Tour

image thumb34 California Strawberry Farm Tour

(via TheLemonBowl Insta)

From there we headed to Terry Farms. The Terry family has been farming in California for over 110 years. california strawberry farm visit 4 800x600 thumb California Strawberry Farm Tour

We met the father and son team Edgar and William. As soon as we got there they welcomed questions and said they were an open book. So, we did ask about organic farming and the farm workers – two topics I am curious about and know many of you are too.

california strawberry farm visit farmers 600x800 thumb California Strawberry Farm Tour

> The farm is not organic. But, William said organic fruits are still often sprayed with pesticides, just approved/organic ones. (Natural News article about that here.)

> They also explained that strawberries grow fairly quickly compared to other produce. So, the fields are harvested about two times a week. This also means the fruit is not subject to repeated exposure to the things they use to mitigate bugs.

> The strawberry pickers get $9.00 per hour plus bonuses for a certain amount of boxes picked. In high berry season they are making significantly more than that. The farm workers at this particular farm are not unionized, but the United Farm Workers have come to talk to them in the past.

> You are not supposed to wear any jewelry while out on the field for food safety reasons. We also had to were close toed shoes and were very careful about following directions.

I have no idea what’s going on here…

california strawberry farm visit blogger tour 800x600 thumb California Strawberry Farm Tour

We took a tractor ride around the farm for a tour. Check out that view…

california strawberry farm visit blog 1 800x600 thumb California Strawberry Farm Tour

california strawberry farm visit blog 800x600 thumb California Strawberry Farm Tour

on the tractor 600x800 thumb California Strawberry Farm Tour

The bloggers were able to pick the berries to try and compare.

strawberry farm terry berry tour 4 600x800 thumb1 California Strawberry Farm Tour

strawberry farm terry berry tour 5 600x800 thumb1 California Strawberry Farm Tour

William gave us a lesson in strawberry picking too…

strawberry farm terry berry tour 7 800x600 thumb1 California Strawberry Farm Tour

strawberry farm terry berry tour 6 600x800 thumb1 California Strawberry Farm Tour

I was surprisingly good at it! All the better to eat you with wlEmoticon winkingsmile10 California Strawberry Farm Tour

california strawberry farm visit 2 600x800 thumb California Strawberry Farm Tour

eating strawberries on the farm 453x453 thumb1 California Strawberry Farm Tour

It was GORGEOUS! I had the best time.

california strawberry farm visit 7 800x600 thumb California Strawberry Farm Tour

After that the Lobos Truck served us lunch. It was epic. The main course was a kobe beef slider with peanut butter and jelly. I don’t have pictures of that because I was too busy eating. And my phone died.

home of the wacho truck 800x600 thumb California Strawberry Farm Tour

california strawberry farm visit blogger cheers 600x800 thumb California Strawberry Farm Tour

Overall: I ate 12 strawberries – way below my 365 goal.

But I had an amazing time! Also, I made a few new friends!! Liz from The Lemon Bowl and Kevin from Closet Cooking were super awesome!

image thumb35 California Strawberry Farm Tour

My favorite Strawberry Recipes:

Strawberry Trifle

Strawberry Protein Pancakes

Question: What’s your favorite fruit right now?

Disclaimer: The California Strawberry Commission invited me on this trip. All opinions are my own.

Comments

It looks so beautiful there! I am a strawberry fan right now because they just started going down in price up here. Now that you posted this I think I am going to have to make a grocery store trip tonight!

I’m always into berries – either strawberries and blueberries or raspberries and blueberries. My Grandpa used to grow strawberries on his farm. I remember as a kid spending all day picking them and bringing buckets home to freeze. It is one of my best memories as a kid.

I’m really impressed together with your writing skills as smartly as with the layout on
    your blog. Is this a paid topic or did you customize it yourself?
    Either way keep up the excellent high quality writing, it is uncommon to peer a great blog like
    this one today..

I LOVE BERRIES. Strawberries were on sale this weekend so I stocked up and I’ve been eating them on oatmeal with a few chocolate chips and it is breakfast perfection!

What a beautiful scenic run – I can’t wait to get back to the coastal states and run along the water!

I’m glad they’re paying their workers a decent rate, but why they’re not unionized is quite interesting… Anyway, liberal political aside, I loved this post- it reminded me of growing up in the Central Valley. Right now I’m all about citrus fruits, especially in smoothies.

Favorite fruit? I’m not sure I can choose just one; I think I love them all. I was even trying to think of one that I DIDN’T like and couldn’t come up with anything.

I’ve been obsessed with blackberries lately. I just finished my stash and am already planning on heading to the store for more. My dad used to grow them in our yard when I was a kid but I don’t think I appreciated them back then because they looked “hairy”. LOL!

8. Elizabeth says

I’m an Oregonian and I’d but our berries (in season) up against any berries in the world. However, your Californian farmers have ours beat by miles! William is going to have to start his own blog to keep up with his new fan base. ;-)

Strawberry picking and fresh strawberries are so fun! (especially making strawberry jam afterward- it’s honestly like candy) I love being out in the fields, especially in good weather :) looks like a great weekend

That’s awesome! I can’t wait until it’s strawberry season here in Michigan, I go out picking every year!

In talking with some of my local farmers I learned that some of them can’t say their product is organic because they don’t want to pay an agency several of thousands of dollars to come and survey their farm. If they use the word organic without being certified they can face a penalty of up to $10,000. CRAZY!

Personally I don’t care enough about labels anyways and try to buy local when possible :)

Sorry for the rant…..

I’m an Oxnard girl and the California Strawberry Commission has been doing great things for our area. Thanks for spreading the word. We also have a Salsa Festival and let me tell you, strawberry salsa is the bees knees.

Yumm! I went strawberry picking last year and had a blast…I think I ate almost as many as I collected! I’m guessing California strawberries > NJ strawberries though… can’t wait until summer for all the fresh fruit!

Love your tale of the strawberry farm! My forever-favorite fruit is strawberry. It’s funny, but no matter where I go, I can always tell which strawberries are from California (specifically from Salinas to Oxnard,) by the smell. There are no better strawberries out there. None. I lived in Ventura for a few years, and got so spoiled by the wonderful fresh produce and farm stands (not to mention the beaches, and the awesome people.)